Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2008 11:01:46 PM EDT

KABUL, Afghanistan – The U.S. military says that a U.S. Navy patrol plane overshot the runway at an airfield in Afghanistan and was destroyed.

A crew member broke an ankle, but the rest of the crew survived the Tuesday crash. The military's statement does not give further details on who was onboard the aircraft.

The statement says a Navy P-3 Orion airplane sustained "serious structural and fire damage" at Bagram Airfield, the main U.S. military base north of Kabul.

The military says it is investigating the accident.

Yahoo! News
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Change the fucking title, the aircraft did not go down, it had a landing mishap.  

When one says "aircraft down" that means that it augered into the ground.

Link Posted: 10/20/2008 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#3]
What was a P-3 doing there anyhow?

Looking for subs in a-stan?

Or was it an EP-3...
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
title changed
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Or was it an EP-3...

Psssstt.....P-3's do very little sub-hunting these days.
They are full of sophisticated comm gear, they have long legs, use little fuel and it's cheaper to use a Navy asset to help the Army and Air Force talk to each other.
Don't tell anyone, it'll be our secret.
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or was it an EP-3...

They are full of sophisticated comm gear, they have long legs, use little fuel and it's cheaper to use a Navy asset to help the Army and Air Force talk to each other.

I honestly didn't know, was just asking.

The looking for subs part was a joke...since it is the desert and all.

Wouldn't that still technically be an EP-3 then?
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wouldn't that still technically be an EP-3 then?

No.

P-3's and EP-3's are very different birds as far as mission gear goes.

www.p3orion.nl/sneaky.html

Link Posted: 10/20/2008 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]
P-3s Get Sharper Vision
May 31, 2007

At least five American P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft have been equipped with Littoral Surveillance Radar Systems (LSRS). This is a wide-aperture active electronically scanned array (AESA) type radar that enables the aircraft to track vehicles on land, and ships at sea. Such high resolution radars are already installed in JSTARS aircraft, Global Hawk UAVs and many fighters. Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar consists of thousands of tiny radars that can be independently aimed in different directions. An AESA radar was used on the JSTARS aircraft, enabling it to locate vehicles moving on the ground. A new AESA radar for JSTARS enables them to spot smaller, man sized, objects. AESA type radars have been around a long time, popular mainly for their ability deal with lots of targets simultaneously, and produce a more accurate picture of what is out there.

The P-3 has been used more frequently to support ground operations, and AESA is great for this. But at sea, AESA could also be used to keep track of ship size targets for American anti-ship missiles fired from over the horizon.

A sufficiently powerful AESA radar can also focus enough energy to damage aircraft or missiles. The U.S. has already been doing this with the high-powered microwave (HPM) effects generated by similar AESA radars used in F18, F35 and F22 aircraft. This is sort of like the EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) put out by nuclear weapons. AESA has demonstrated that it can disable missiles and aircraft. AESA in a Global Hawk could disable electronics on the ground.

The air force had planned to install a larger AESA radar on its new E-10 radar aircraft, that would be able to zap cruise missile guidance systems up to 180 kilometers away. The E-10 has been cancelled, but there are now plans to install its AESA radar on existing JSTARS. The E-10 AESA is several times larger than the ones found in fighters, P-3s and the Global Hawk, so make your own range estimates.
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
P-3s Get Sharper Vision
May 31, 2007

At least five American P-3 Orion maritime patrol aircraft have been equipped with Littoral Surveillance Radar Systems (LSRS). This is a wide-aperture active electronically scanned array (AESA) type radar that enables the aircraft to track vehicles on land, and ships at sea. Such high resolution radars are already installed in JSTARS aircraft, Global Hawk UAVs and many fighters. Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar consists of thousands of tiny radars that can be independently aimed in different directions. An AESA radar was used on the JSTARS aircraft, enabling it to locate vehicles moving on the ground. A new AESA radar for JSTARS enables them to spot smaller, man sized, objects. AESA type radars have been around a long time, popular mainly for their ability deal with lots of targets simultaneously, and produce a more accurate picture of what is out there.

The P-3 has been used more frequently to support ground operations, and AESA is great for this. But at sea, AESA could also be used to keep track of ship size targets for American anti-ship missiles fired from over the horizon.

A sufficiently powerful AESA radar can also focus enough energy to damage aircraft or missiles. The U.S. has already been doing this with the high-powered microwave (HPM) effects generated by similar AESA radars used in F18, F35 and F22 aircraft. This is sort of like the EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) put out by nuclear weapons. AESA has demonstrated that it can disable missiles and aircraft. AESA in a Global Hawk could disable electronics on the ground.

The air force had planned to install a larger AESA radar on its new E-10 radar aircraft, that would be able to zap cruise missile guidance systems up to 180 kilometers away. The E-10 has been cancelled, but there are now plans to install its AESA radar on existing JSTARS. The E-10 AESA is several times larger than the ones found in fighters, P-3s and the Global Hawk, so make your own range estimates.

well, there's an upgrade. I got out in 1990( it really doesnt seem like that long ago) and we were just getting used to a new doppler radar that at that time was the cats meow.
Of course, when I started, we had to keep the inside of the plane friggin cold or we would lose the computer. I think my cell phone has more oomph that that old thing.

eta: I still love that old plane
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#10]
U.S. plane overshoots runway in Afghanistan
By Joseph Giordono, Stars and Stripes
Mideast edition, Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A U.S. Navy reconnaissance plane was destroyed when it overshot the runway at the large U.S. air base north of the Afghan capital early Tuesday, officials said.

All of the crewmembers survived the crash, though one suffered a broken ankle.

"A Navy P-3 Orion airplane overshot the runway surface while landing at Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan, early [Tuesday]," a United States Forces — Afghanistan release read.

"The airplane sustained serious structural and fire damage. Bagram-based emergency-response units took action on scene to extinguish the fires."

The injured crewmember was treated at the Craig Joint Theater Hospital on Bagram, officials said.

The P-3 is a four-prop plane that was originally developed during the Cold War, when its primary mission was tracking missiles and attack submarines.

Since early in the Afghan war, Navy P-3s have been used in landlocked Afghanistan to support coalition ground forces.

Officials have said the aircraft are used to gather intelligence and provide surveillance and reconnaissance for commanders in the Arabian Sea and on the ground in Afghanistan.

The plane that crashed Tuesday is deployed from PATWING FIVE out of Norfolk, Va., said Cmdr. Jane Campbell of the Navy. While deployed, the aircraft falls under CTF-57, she said.

Bagram is the largest U.S. military base in Afghanistan and a main flying hub.

The crash is under investigation, officials said.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Navy
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Navy

WTF is your problem?
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Navy

WTF is your problem?

Link Posted: 10/21/2008 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad to hear everyone made it out (More-Or-less) intact

P-3's are Lockheed Electra's and Lord Knows those planes had their trouble back in the the '50's and early '60's.

When I first saw your post I "Thought" another one had shed a wing!
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Navy

P3's..they have the motors mounted upside on those.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey KA3B, does a MAD sensor work at all over land?  My guess is no, because of minerals and such but I really have no idea.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Navy

P3's..they have the motors mounted upside on those.

Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hey KA3B, does a MAD sensor work at all over land?  My guess is no, because of minerals and such but I really have no idea.

I dunno, I was never a sub chaser kind of guy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#20]
P-3's are such old airframes it's no wonder really. And a landing mishap is not the same as a crash landing.

Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#21]
The P-3 is a true multi-misson aircraft.  

One day we're supporting SOF on the ground, the next day were patrolling the HOA for Somali pirates, the next day we're photgraphing oil smugglers, tracking subs, dropping a jump team, following suspect ships, intercepting drug smugglers in the air and on the seas, med-evac, dropping parts to ships at sea, etc, etc.  
Acoustic and non-acoustic sensors, lots of radios, cameras, imaging radar, OTICXS, image transfer, streaming video, good stuff.  
We've got the largest ordnance capacity in the fleet with 18 hardpoints.
Harpoon, SLAM, SLAM-ER, Maverick, Mk-46, Mk-50, Mk-54 torpedoes, mines, Rockeye, depth bombs, rockets.
For what a combat loaded F-14 weighs we carry in gas alone.
We go a long way, stay up a long time and carry a lot of good stuff.  

The P-8 will give us a new airframe, digital stores management and a host of other upgrades.  Well overdue.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#22]
MAD works by identifying changes in the  normal magnetic patterns caused by large metal objects. If something was large enough to change the normal patterns than I suppose you could.  I dont ever remember us flying over land and trying to id anything, but if the change was large enough I suppose it could.
But I do have a pretty good story involving a P-3, the Grand Canyon, and a LCDR losing his PPC quals.  Ah.... the good old days.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Way too noisy to work overland.  
The compensation system can't keep up with the constant changes.
Plus you'd have to be flying awfully low to get a reasonable return.
We're typically at 200 feet over the water for MAD work.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Navy

WTF is your problem?

+1,000,000

Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Navy's a bunch of homos.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Navy's a bunch of homos.

ETA:  Especially the medical types
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#28]
First and foremost - glad everybody walked (and hoppled) away.

Second - I'm very glad I didn't just lose 10% of my Reserve P-3 force.

We are losing a lot of P-3s these days.  35 are still grounded with wing cracks and recently some weenie pilot did some (inadvertent) spin testing.  Came back home after pulling 7+ Gs on the pullout 75 feet above the water.  Plane is terminally broke of course.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
MAD works by identifying changes in the  normal magnetic patterns caused by large metal objects. If something was large enough to change the normal patterns than I suppose you could.  I dont ever remember us flying over land and trying to id anything, but if the change was large enough I suppose it could.
But I do have a pretty good story involving a P-3, the Grand Canyon, and a LCDR losing his PPC quals.  Ah.... the good old days.

This. They use magnetometers to search for mineral deposits all the time.

I know several LCdrs that SHOULD have lost their PPC qual. I remember walking into the cockpit on a transpac to find all those assholes asleep. The FE woke up and stopped me before I could finish strangling the LCdr in question in that event.

ETA: Went and grabbed this from the wiki:

Magnetometers are used in geophysical surveys to find deposits of iron because they can measure the magnetic field variations caused by the deposits, airplanes like the Shrike Commander has been used [1]. Magnetometers are also used to detect archaeological sites, shipwrecks and other buried or submerged objects. Magnetic anomaly detectors detect submarines for military purposes.

They are used in directional drilling for oil or gas to detect the azimuth of the drilling tools near the drill bit. They are most often paired up with accelerometers in drilling tools so the both the inclination and azimuth of the drill bit can be found.

They are also used in space exploration. I didn't know about the oil drilling though. That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
TYCOM

I thought all of the reserve squadrons were gone or went with the C-130T.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
TYCOM

I thought all of the reserve squadrons were gone or went with the C-130T.

I thought they where holding on to them until they fell apart for good.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#34]

They are also used in space exploration. I didn't know about the oil drilling though. That's pretty cool.

One of the only jobs I was able to find that I could translate my training as an AW was with the oil companies for offshore drilling. They were also using sound energy to find layers in the ocean floor.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#35]
There are 12 Reserve P-3's left.  6 AIP and 6 BMUP.  All are used by the active Force and several are loaned for overseas deployments.  The BMUPs will be striken in 2016.  There is a vicious rumor floating that the Reserves will get 10 P-8A Poseidons.  So the active can use them with the Reserves footing the bill.

One of the VPs transitioned to C-130Ts.  There are now 19 C-130T and 28 USMC KC-130T.  The Marines will go to J models in 2013, the Navy after that.  Since trash and dinojuice haulers are in high demand, the ResNavy may stand up another 4 plane C-130 squadron.
BTW, the Blue Angels Fat Albert C-130 is actually a ResNavy C-130T on loan.  Fat Albert will be a J model in a few years.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
There are 12 Reserve P-3's left.  6 AIP and 6 BMUP.  All are used by the active Force and several are loaned for overseas deployments.  The BMUPs will be striken in 2016.  There is a vicious rumor floating that the Reserves will get 10 P-8A Poseidons.  So the active can use them with the Reserves footing the bill.

One of the VPs transitioned to C-130Ts.  There are now 19 C-130T and 28 USMC KC-130T.  The Marines will go to J models in 2013, the Navy after that.  Since trash and dinojuice haulers are in high demand, the ResNavy may stand up another 4 plane C-130 squadron.
BTW, the Blue Angels Fat Albert C-130 is actually a ResNavy C-130T on loan.  Fat Albert will be a J model in a few years.

TYCOM

OPSEC?
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TYCOM

OPSEC?

I see nothing operational in TYCOMs post.  All a matter of public record.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 3:36:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

There are now 19 C-130T and 28 USMC KC-130T.  The Marines will go to J models in 2013, the Navy after that. ... Fat Albert will be a J model in a few years.

TYCOM

There are only a handful of non J's left in the Marines...I have a good friend of mine still in, he is hauling them every so often to DMA...I was in FA July of '07 when the Blues were in town, an old buddy of mine was the FE...she was clean! I thought it came from Newburgh tho, and not the Navy..I could be wrong, I usually am.

Link Posted: 10/22/2008 3:56:29 AM EDT
[#40]
P8 is going to be a wicked bird. What's the P3 with the lightning bolt on her?

Super special thingy of some sorts?
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Navy's a bunch of homos.

Yeah, homos like these guys:

NAVY CORPSMAN MEDAL OF HONOR RECEPIENTS (submitted by Mark Flowers):

Robert Eugene BUSH

Rank and organization: Hospital Apprentice First Class, U.S. Naval Reserve, serving as Medical Corpsman with a rifle company, 2d Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division. Place and date: Okinawa Jima, Ryukyu Islands, 2 May 1945. Entered service at: Washington. Born: 4 October 1926, Tacoma, Wash.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as Medical Corpsman with a rifle company, in action against enemy Japanese forces on OkinawaJima, Ryukyu Islands, 2 May 1945. Fearlessly braving the fury of artillery, mortar, and machinegun fire from strongly entrenched hostile positions,Bush constantly and unhesitatingly moved from 1 casualty to another to attend the wounded falling under the enemy's murderous barrages. As the attack passed over a ridge top, Bush was advancing to administer blood plasma to a Marine officer Iying wounded on the skyline when the Japanese launched a savage counterattack. In this perilously exposed position, heresolutely maintained the flow of life-giving plasma. With the bottle held high in 1 hand, Bush drew his pistol with the other and fired into the enemy's ranks until his ammunition was expended. Quickly seizing a discarded carbine, he trained his fire on the Japanese charging pointblank over the hill, accounting for 6 of the enemy despite his own serious wounds andthe loss of 1 eye suffered during his desperate battle in defense of the helpless man. With the hostile force finally routed, he calmly disregardedhis own critical condition to complete his mission, valiantly refusing medical treatment for himself until his officer patient had been evacuated, and collapsing only after attempting to walk to the battle aid station. His daring initiative, great personal valor, and heroic spirit of self-sacrifice in service of others reflect great credit upon Bush and enhance the finesttraditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

William David HALYBURTON (Posthumous)

Rank and organization: Pharmacist's Mate Second Class, U.S. Naval Reserve. Born: 2 August 1924, Canton, N.C. Accredited to: North Carolina.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with a Marine rifle company in the 2d Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Okinawa Shima in the Ryukyu Chain, 10 May 1945. Undaunted by the deadly accuracy of Japanese counterfire as his unit pushed the attack through a strategically important draw, Halyburton unhesitatingly dashed across the draw and up the hill into an open fire-swept field where the company advance squad was suddenly pinned down under a terrific concentrationof mortar, machinegun and sniper fire with resultant severe casualties. Moving steadily forward despite the enemy's merciless barrage, he reached the wounded Marine who lay farthest away and was rendering first aid when his patient was struck for the second time by a Japanese bullet. Instantly placing himself in the direct line of fire, he shielded the fallen fighter with his own body and staunchly continued his ministrations although constantly menaced by the slashing fury of shrapnel and bullets falling on all sides.Alert, determined and completely unselfish in his concern for the helpless Marine, he persevered in his efforts until he himself sustained mortal wounds and collapsed, heroically sacrificing himself that his comrade might live. By his outstanding valor and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of tremendous odds, Halyburton sustained and enhanced the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.

Fred Faulkner LESTER (Posthumous)

Rank and organization: Hospital Apprentice First Class, U.S. Navy. Born: 29 April 1926, Downers Grove, Ill. Accredited to: Illinois.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a Medical Corpsman with an assault rifle platoon, attached to the 1st Battalion, 22d Marines, 6th Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Okinawa Shima in the Ryukyu Chain, 8 June 1945. Quick to spot a wounded Marine Iying in an open field beyond the front lines following the relentless assault against a strategic Japanese hill position, Lester unhesitatingly crawled toward the casualty under a concentrated barrage from hostile machineguns, rifles, and grenades.Torn by enemy rifle bullets as he inched forward, he stoically disregarded the mounting fury of Japanese fire and his own pain to pull the wounded man toward a covered position. Struck by enemy fire a second time before he reached cover, he exerted tremendous effort and succeeded in pulling his comrade to safety where, too seriously wounded himself to administer aid, he instructed 2 of his squad in proper medical treatment of the rescued Marine. Realizing that his own wounds were fatal, he staunchly refusedmedical attention for himself and, gathering his fast-waning strength with calm determination, coolly and expertly directed his men in the treatment of 2 other wounded Marines, succumbing shortly thereafter. Completely selfless in his concern for the welfare of his fighting comrades, Lester, by his indomitable spirit, outstanding valor, and competent direction of others,had saved the life of 1 who otherwise must have perished and had contributed to the safety of countless others. Lester's fortitude in the face of certain death sustains and enhances the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Francis PIERCE Jr.

Rank and organization: Pharmacist's Mate First Class, U.S. Navy serving with 2d Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division.Place and date: Iwo Jima, 15 and 16 March 1945. Entered service at lowa . Born: 7 December 1924, Earlville, lowa.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while attached to the 2d Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division, during the Iwo Jima campaign, 15 and 16 March 1945. Almost continuously under fire while carrying out the most dangerous volunteer assignments, Pierce gained valuable knowledge of the terrain and disposition of troops. Caught in heavy enemy rifle and machinegun fire which wounded a corpsman and 2 of the 8 stretcher bearers who were carrying 2 wounded Marines to a forward aid station on 15 March, Pierce quickly took charge of the party, carried the newly wounded men to a sheltered position, and rendered first aid. After directing the evacuation of 3 of the casualties, he stood in the open to draw the enemy's fire and, with his weapon blasting, enabled the litter bearers to reach cover. Turning his attention to the other 2 casualties he was attempting to stop the profuse bleeding of 1 man when a Japanese fired from a cave less than 20 yards away and wounded his patient again. Risking his own life to save his patient, Pierce deliberately exposed himself to draw the attacker from the cave and destroyed him with the last of his ammunition. Then lifting the wounded man to his back, he advanced unarmed through deadly rifle fire across 200 feet of open terrain. Despite exhaustion and in the face of warnings against such a suicidal mission, he again traversed the same fire-swept path to rescue the remaining Marine. On the following morning, he led a combat patrol to the sniper nest and, while aiding a stricken Marine, was seriously wounded. Refusing aid for himself, he directed treatment for the casualty, at the same time maintaining protective fire for his comrades. Completely fearless, completely devoted to the care of his patients, Pierce inspired the entire battalion. His valor in the face of extreme peril sustains and enhances the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

George Edward WAHLEN

Rank and organization: Pharmacist's Mate Second Class, U.S. Navy, serving with 2d Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division. Place and date: Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands group, 3 March 1945. Entered service at: Utah. Born: 8 August 1924, Ogden, Utah.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the 2d Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division, during action against enemy  Japanese forces on Iwo Jima in the Volcano group on 3 March 1945. Painfully wounded in the bitter action on 26 February, Wahlen remained on the battlefield, advancing well forward of the frontlines to aid a wounded Marine and carrying him back to safety despite a terrific concentration of fire. Tireless in his ministrations, he consistently  disregarded all danger to attend his fighting comrades as they fell under the devastating rain of shrapnel and bullets, and rendered prompt assistance to various elements of his combat group as required. When an adjacent platoon suffered heavy casualties, he defied the continuous pounding of heavy mortars and deadly fire of enemy rifles to care for the wounded, working rapidly in an area swept by constant fire and treating 14 casualties before returning to his own platoon. Wounded  again on 2 March, he gallantly refused evacuation, moving out with his company the following day in a furious assault across 600 yards of open terrain and repeatedly rendering medical aid while exposed to the blasting fury of powerful Japanese guns. Stouthearted and indomitable, he persevered in his determined efforts as his unit waged fierce battle and, unable to walk after sustaining a third agonizing wound, resolutely crawled 50 yards to administer first aid to still another fallen fighter. By his dauntless fortitude and valor, Wahlen served as a constant inspiration and contributed vitally to the high morale of his company during critical phases of this strategically important engagement. His heroic spirit of self-sacrifice in the face of overwhelming enemy fire upheld the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Jack WILLIAMS (Posthumous)

Rank and organization: Pharmacist's Mate Third Class, U.S. Naval Reserve. Born: 18 October 1924, Harrison, Ark. Accredited to: Arkansas.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the 3d Battalion 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division, during the occupation of Iwo Jima Volcano Islands, 3 March 1945. Gallantly going forward on the front lines under intense enemy small-arms fire to assist a Marine wounded in a fierce grenade battle, Williams dragged the man to a shallow depression and was kneeling, using his own body as a screen from the sustained fire as he administered first aid, when struck in the abdomen and groin 3 times by hostile rifle fire. Momentarily stunned, he quickly recovered and completed his ministration before applying battle dressings to his own multiple wounds. Unmindful of his own urgent need for medical attention, he remained in the perilous fire-swept area to care for another Marine casualty. Heroically completing his task despite pain and profuse bleeding, he then endeavored to make his way to the rear in search of adequate aid for himself when struck down by a Japanese sniper bullet which caused his collapse. Succumbing later as a result of his self-sacrificing service to others, Williams, by his courageous determination, unwavering fortitude and valiant performance of duty, served as an inspiring example of heroism, in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

John Harlan WILLIS (Posthumous)

Rank and organization: Pharmacist's Mate First Class, U.S. Navy. Born: 10 June 1921, Columbia, Tenn. Accredited to: Tennessee.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Platoon Corpsman serving with the 3d Battalion, 27th Marines, 5th Marine Division, during operations against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 28 February 1945. Constantly imperiled by artillery and mortar fire from strong and mutually supporting pillboxes and caves studding Hill 362 in the enemy's cross-island defenses, Willis resolutely administered first aid to the many Marines wounded during the furious close-in fighting until he himself was struck by shrapnel and was ordered back to the battalion aid station. Without waiting for official medical release, he quickly returned to his company and, during a savage hand-to-hand enemy counterattack, daringly advanced to the extreme front lines under mortar and sniper fire to aid a Marine Iying wounded in a shellhole. Completely unmindful of his own danger as the Japanese intensified their attack, Willis calmly continued to administer blood plasma to his patient, promptly returning the first hostile grenade which landed in the shell-hole while he was working and hurling back seven more in quick succession before the ninth grenade exploded in his hand and instantly killed him. By his great personal valor in  saving others at the sacrifice of his own life, he inspired his companions, although terrifically outnumbered, to launch a fiercely determined attack and repulse the enemy  force. His exceptional fortitude and courage in the performance of duty reflect the highest credit upon Willis and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Navy's a bunch of homos.

Yeah, like this guy:
Mike Murphy
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:17:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
P8 is going to be a wicked bird. What's the P3 with the lightning bolt on her?

Super special thingy of some sorts?

Rolling off the line right now!  

Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:31:18 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or was it an EP-3...

Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#45]
nm
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:40:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#47]
What is a sub hunter doing in A-Stan?
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
What is a sub hunter doing in A-Stan?

They have been there since 2002 at least, maybe earlier.
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Always liked the look of those P-3's.

And those Allison T-56's always sound cool...even if the engines are upside down on a P-3.

The Ol' (C-130) Crew Chief
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Navy's a bunch of homos.

Yeah, homos like these guys:

Yeah those guys too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top