Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2001 2:22:15 PM EDT
I'm sure all of you have seen these advertised by now. There seems to be an ad for them in almost every bill I receive, in many magazines, television commercials, and in junk-mail coupon books.
Does anyone here have one of these radios? I know BOSE makes good products, but I don't think I'd ever pay $499 for a CD/Clock Radio no matter how good it sounded for it's size.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of these about seven or eight years ago when they first came out.  Incredible.  The sound quality these put out will usually ruin your 1500. - 2000.00 investment in your big stuff.  However, I have always liked the specific sound that Bose puts out.  Not everyone does.  For just pleasure of listening - incredible.  They usually have a money back if not satisfied.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure that you listen to one before deciding to spend the money.  There is a reason Bose is universally derided by audiophiles.z

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I've got one of the Wave's with the CD and I mean its cool and all, except the clock will all of a sudden get dimmer or lighter for no reason even if its just sitting there with no music playing (its either possessed by a spirit or its a defect, in either case I haven't done anything about it for the past 2 years). It sounds really great(read: crystal clear) if thats what you want for pure listening enjoyment and its a conversation piece. If you're looking for something that will be really really loud (incase you need to piss off the neighbors or throw a party) I'd go with something else or find a better place to throw 5 bills. For what its worth I'd never get another one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No highs, no lows must be Bose.

View Quote

That is what the guys told me when I toured the MacIntosh plant in Binghamton.  They laughed at the mention of the name.   Then they showed me thier $50,000 pair of speakers.  [%|]

Me I like Bose stuff, shit I'm young and dumb enough to like my Cerwin Vegas.  They go loud, makes me happy.  Ignorance is bliss, I don't wanted a "trained ear", they are too expensive.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought one years ago when they first came out. Couldn't hear what all of the fuss was about so I sent it back. I mean after all of the hype I thought it would do the dishs, vacum the floor and other wifely chores if you know what I mean. I was disappointed. That's not to say the someone who is a stereo freak wouldn't notice the difference. You can by one of those portable stereo systems that has alot more goodies and you probably wouldn't notice the difference.IMHO
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#9]
There's nothing wrong with Cerwin Vega PA speakers. They're really good for clubs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#10]
For $200-300MAX it is a decent radio with a nice "full" sound. Stereophile or accurate it is not. I am a Denon and Energy speaker guy and I can't see throwing down $500 for anradio (not stereo)

BOSE= Better sales through advertising!
BOSE= Better sound through research...I don't think so.

Also, Think about this also. Bose has changed there product line very little over the years and still charges more than ever. Their speakers are the same they have had for years, 2 1/2" - 3 1/2". Their speaker cabinets are plastic and they are made in Mexico.

And they still have a 20% lower margin than everyone else while charging higher retail with questionable price controls.

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm young and dumb enough to like my Cerwin Vegas
View Quote

Yes, but your Cerwin Vegas are good at something.  For the price, you can get some boom and volume.  That's fine, if that's your budget, and that is what you want.  Bose charges much more, for less.  There isn't anything their speakers do well.  Check-out rec.audio.high-end for more info.  Some of those guys are good at putting together good sounding systems on modest budgets.z
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Hi ArmaLiter... I bought my wife one of the Bose Wave CD/Radios for Christmas last year.  She loves it. She keeps it in her office and nearly everyone that comes in comments on the high-quality sound.  I only got a few days to play around with it before she took it to work, but it sounds pretty good, especially at higher volumes.

Overall I think it's a bit overpriced.  But it is a very nice radio/CD Player.  It has the best sound that I have ever heard come out of a box that small.  And I'm an old rock & roller who is pretty picky about sound quality.

The little remote control is cool too.  Makes a nice gift for someone that is worth that much to you.

The bass is optimized by baffles that run in various directions in the box, therefore giving it more/longer space to develop the bass in.  And the high-end/treble is remarkable.  Like most of the ladies, my wife has some of those "outdoor" CD's with birds chirping, etc. When it comes to that type of sound, the Bose really stands out.  Like their little cube speakers for home stereos, the sound is remarkable.

ARnSC
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I recently took a listen to one at a Bose store in the Horton Mall in San Diego.  The Bose was not to my liking at all. Both the radio and full size portable sounded "boxy" and lacked both low end punch and high end definition.

I have an eight channel surround sound system running Nakamichi and Yamaha electronic (mostly) and Infinity RS speakers (IIIb's, 2000's, Kapa 5's, the center speaker and a VMPS Subwoofer
View Quote

Is this really a fair test? Thats like comparing a can of Spam to a live Maine lobster dinner.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#14]
The first time I heard a Bose "Wave" radio was about 20 years ago at a boat show in Jersey City at an old converted train station.  When we walked in, I heard some absolutely fantastic Wagner that had no right sounding as good as it did in that big, hard surfaced hall.

I walked around and finally came to the Bose stall.  Wow!  

They were, at that time, hawking them to boat owners who are pressed for space.  To the audiophiles on the board, I ask: What other "table top" system can compare?
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Ditto what Troy said!

I'll go a step further, and say the combo of the unique BOSE system, and the angled, piped, & bounced sound manipulation of the Wave is definitely the best there is in such a small (kinda plain) package.
It's the most bang for the buck as far as quality is concerned.
I Still cant believe that BIG sound comes out of that LITTLE, midlevel relatively plain looking box!

JMO - OC
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#17]
For a wedding present I bought my wife the Cambridge Soundworks clock radio.  It was about $350.  She put it in her bedroom and for that size room it rocks.  It cranks out some serious bass and puts out huge sound for its size.  Everyone we've played it for has been really impressed.

That said I don't think either of these are replacements for real stereos.  In stereos as in firearms,  size does matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top