Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2001 1:25:15 PM EDT
I have an '86 LTD crown vic that has intermittent window problems. When it is extremely humid and hot the windows will not work. When it is cool & dry they work. What would cause this & what is the fix. When this occurs, all windows are affected and none of the switches work.
Thanks

Edited to be more clear.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not a mechanic, but i have replaced the driver-side window motor on my Olds Cutlass.  Is the window on the driver's side? Since you use that side for up and down and also the vibrations from opening & closing the door, that motor will most often fail first.  I think you are experiencing symptoms of impending complete motor failure when it won't go up nor down no matter what the whether, double-ck with someone else.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If it were just one window, I would say check and clean the contacts on that particular doors power window switch. But being all of the windows, check your ignition switch. A faulty ignition switch can cause intermittent problems with power accessories and A/C. These are inexpensive checks before you delve deeper.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the window control switches on the driver side. They are the master switches that control the functions of the other three, so if it goes none work. Possible the years of age, use, dust, and normal spillage of water and drinks have taken thier toll. I'd tru that one first. Most auto supply stores should have them, very easy to replace. Good luck....   fullclip
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I just replaced the driver's side switch on an '85 Pontiac.  It was giving the  kind of symptoms you describe, maybe a little worse.  The oldie looked like it had about twenty cups of coffee spilled in it.  I'll guess the humidity affected the coffee creamer residue??!!??

$37 for the generic GM switch.  Ford?
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top