Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2008 10:25:49 AM EDT
I started cleaning up my storage area where I have loads of gun stuff I was given and never used or bought and never used and figured to sell to clean up the area and put a couple of bucks back into my pocket for new gun stuff.

I came across a scope that I needed to get some more information on.

I thought it was a plain Lyman Alaskan, but after some research think it is a Lyman Alaskan M81 Sniper Scope from the US Military WW2/Korean War or so era.  

Apparently it originally came from my grandfather (WW1/WW2) or mom's uncle (WW2/Korea)

It is serial number B3235 with the correct rubber eyepiece (serial number 7575053) from what I have seen on websites and complete Ebay auctions.  It has the fine crosshairs as the military sniper scopes supposedly had, while commercial models didn't.  B serial numbers are supposedly military.

Questions:
Does anyone have information on these scopes, serial numbers, value, etc? or know someone who does?

Pictures below:

Link Posted: 10/10/2008 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Jouster under the Garand section.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Try Jouster under the 1903 section,also.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The M81 would have the sliding sunshade on the front. The commercial "B" prefix Alaskans are thought to be military procured but I'm not sure if there's hard proof of that. The Alaskan (M73) was an authorized replacement scope if the 330c (M73B1) wasn't available. It's worth what you can get for it but asking prices are usually in the $3-400 range.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Some of those were used. I guess the tell is in the serial number. I found one at a garage sale in the box and it had a different reticle. I got $400 for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top