Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends. If I can do it myself, I do.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#2]
1.  Myself.
2.  any of those quickie places.
3.  Dealer.

Really, it's personal preference.  I do 99% of all my own work.  I haven't had a car go to a shop for any kind of repair (not counting oil changes) since... well, at least 8-9 years.  

I normally do all my own oil changes, but occasionally let the place down the street do it.  I double check EVERYTHING tho, and then go in and complain.  They always give you that slip that shows that they checked every item, lube, fluid, etc... then I point out when they did not top something off, etc...  That pisses me off so bad, that I typically will do my own again for at least a year.

I'd take it to the dealer, but hell, the oil change guy at dealerships is usually a kid, and not necessarily guaranteed to pay any more attention to detail than the other quik lube guys.  If it's the same price, and convenient, then I'd take it to the dealer, but would not rate them any higher.

I have a jeep now, and the oil change takes me 10 minutes.  Got a couple oil containers, and recycle it for free at autozone.  No big deal.

"If you want something done right........"
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Do my own. Oil is free, cost the dealer $10 to sell me 2 cases oil filters last time I bought them, now the coupon in their flier is "limit 2".

Jiffy and the others have sent us a bunch of motor jobs over the past few years. We have just finished 1 last week that has been at our place for 2 months before Insurance said fix-it. Wonder if customer had a car all along? I had 1 that came in and motor was crapped, the fella took really good care of it, clean inside, but the insurance company bought the fella a "USED" enginge, it was full of black crud under the oil cap, felt bad for the owner,had a clean motor, they give him some piece of crap motor.

If you can do it yourself, do it. If you mess it up, you only blame yourself.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Not to mention the fact that Jiffy uses recycled oil. Blech.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Jiffy Lube.

I used to manage a quick oil change station. The convenience is worth the price. My brother manages a station that promises 9 min. oil changes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not to mention the fact that Jiffy uses recycled oil. Blech.
View Quote

Jiffy does NOT sell recycled oil. Stupid comments like this result in lawsuits.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#7]
No one works on my truck, but me, "Grrrrr grrrr...."

-------
"Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me."
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#9]
F***! Jiffy Lube an all the rest of the "quickie joints" I've seen two vehicles come from these outfits with no oil .when ya' call the minimum wage grease monkies that run these cheesewiz outfits they have there thumb in there mouth an the other one in there ARSE!.go figure!. take some pride in knowing your automobile is well taken care of by YOU.If you have physical limitations our are flat out using money for toilet paper by all means let the retard drop your drain plug.....good luck
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#10]
heres a nickels worth of free advice, NEVER USE JIFFY LUBE.....

my father used them for a few years with his taurus..  the engin went bad, and when the mechanic opened the head up, he knew right away that we used jiffy lube.

sometimes they don't do it right.. and when they do, it is with the cheapest oil they can find (and it isn't always the same type) out of one of those 275 gallon fuel drums like outside of a mobile home.

the diferent brands don't mix well and what you end up with is 2" of dark black goup caked on the inside of the engine..  

needless to say a new engine later we no longer use them.  just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Which do you use?

Paper
View Quote

D.I.Y. It's usually pretty easy unless you own something strange.  You save some cash.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes i have known owners, emmployees and from my own experiences sbout places like jiffy lube and tuffy. those quick lube places screw up all the time, forget to put oil in, incorrect levels, forget o-rings on the drain plug. Lets not forget the drum up more business ploys of the screwdriver in the radiator or just flat out bogus statments.
I do it myself usually but i have gotten lazy and used them.. what a waste..
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The name of the business has nothing to do with the quality of work they do. The honesty and skill of the person doing the work means everything. You will have to use word of mouth to find a decent place to service your vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#14]
One vehicle is still under a comprehensive factory warranty, so it goes to the dealer for its oil changes.  But I have to make an appointment nearly a month in advance and then drop it off for a couple of hours.

For my other cars, I've been doing it myself for years. Depending on the deal I got on oil, its usually $3-6 for an oil change and I usually take around 20 minutes to do it.

There's been times that I've taken a car to one of those quick-lube places.  It's usually ok, but I take a quick-see to make sure that things are tightened so it's not leaking.  I do the same after the dealer too.  I've caught a few mistakes here and there...not a lot...but some.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#15]
my brother is a deputy sheriff in ky.  the last time he took his cruiser in to the gas station to get it changed they screwed it up.  they changed the filter, but never drained the oil.  added 5 more qts to it.  smoke was barreling out from behind as he drove.  they gave the department the next one free!
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I only trust my dealer. To many personel changes in the oil shacks around here.  My Chrysler/Dodge dealer has a five star rating. If they want to keep their rating (which must mean money to them) they must keep complaints down.

I have sent friends to my dealer and they were so impressed with the quality of service, and  courtesy showed to them, they now go there.  The dealer will even lend customers a car if they can't get you out in a decent amount of time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#17]
IMO the lesser of the two evils is the dealer.  If you do chose a quickie place, I recommend you take your own filter.  They [i]may[/i] use decent oil, but I've yet to see one use decent filters.  At least dealers use AC Delco, Motorcraft, etc.  Also, I've had a conversations with a few people employed at the quickie places.  [:E]

Eddie
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I tried to do my own oil changes when I bought my  F-150 but I make too much mess trying to get the filter out from around the suspension. It was exactly the same on my last car (Lincoln Mark VIII)
Luckily I trust my local Lincoln/Mercury  Dealership enough to let them do whatever my vehicles need.
They certainly aren't cheap but they have earned my trust and have always done a great job.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Honesty and knowledge of the person doing it is, as D348 says, the big factor. I don't want my turbo blowing up when it hits 18 psi and I don't want my expensive stainless exhaust system ruined, so I do my own (Mobil 1 0W-40 and OEM filter), otherwise I'd go to the dealer. The dealer will at least use the right OEM filter which is VERY important on some cars, and they will be more likely to use the right grade and viscosity of oil. Some dealers just use one oil for all their cars, so check it out.

JiffyLube uses Pennzoil (aka Crapzoil) which is about the worst conventional oil out there. It and Quaker State are full of waxes and impurities. Castrol GTX and Mobil are decent conventionals. If you use synthetic for a gas car, stick with Mobil 1, Valvoline Synpower, and Amsoil. Castrol Syntec is crap, its basestock is hydroisomerised conventional oil, not synthetic.

If you care about your car, use an OEM filter (or a well researched aftermarket one like Mobil 1 or K&N) and follow the manufacturer's viscosity and change interval recommendations.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Honesty and knowledge of the person doing it is, as D348 says, the big factor. I don't want my turbo blowing up when it hits 18 psi and I don't want my expensive stainless exhaust system ruined, so I do my own (Mobil 1 0W-40 and OEM filter), otherwise I'd go to the dealer. The dealer will at least use the right OEM filter which is VERY important on some cars, and they will be more likely to use the right grade and viscosity of oil. Some dealers just use one oil for all their cars, so check it out.

JiffyLube uses Pennzoil (aka Crapzoil) which is about the worst conventional oil out there. It and Quaker State are full of waxes and impurities. That's why when you tear down an engine that has been JiffyLubed its whole life, it's full of sludge. Castrol GTX and Mobil are decent conventionals. If you use synthetic for a gas car, stick with Mobil 1, Valvoline Synpower, and Amsoil. Castrol Syntec is crap, its basestock is hydroisomerised conventional oil, not synthetic.

If you care about your car, use an OEM filter (or a well researched aftermarket one like Mobil 1 or K&N) and follow the manufacturer's viscosity and change interval recommendations.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#21]
When it was under warranty, it went to the dealer, now it goes to the quickie places.  When I had more time than money I did it myself, now that I have more money than time I let someone else do it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#22]
 The dealer handles the new minivan but I do
my own on my 7 yr old pick up . The only thing I trust jiffy lube for is to get rid of my used oil which they now charge $1.25 a gallon for .

I had them do one of my cars once and they
put the drain plug back in so tight that I never did get it back out . Of course they
denied it and Screwed me . I had to sell the car that way .  ( It had other problems to )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top