Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2001 9:16:05 AM EDT
I've predicted the last 2 wins over Nebraska and Texas, so why not make my prediction again.  As a loyal Buffs fan, I am somewhat biased, but I believe we HAVE to be the team to go.  Even with the early 2 pt loss to Fresno State, we have already beaten the (former) #1 BCS team (Nebraska) and the #3 BCS team (Texas).  Besides I saw on TV last night where we had the 2nd toughest schedule all year long.

Who do you think will be in the Rose Bowl?
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Miami & Nebraska, cuz that's how the BS BCS numbers will come up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#2]
It DEFINITELY WON'T be Nebraska "cuz" ...  HAve you checked out the coaches poll this morning? 1) Miami 2) Oregon 3)CU 4) NU

Nebraska is out, besides how could they go when they didn't even win the Big 12 ... give me a break.

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It DEFINITELY WON'T be Nebraska "cuz" ...  HAve you checked out the coaches poll this morning? 1) Miami 2) Oregon 3)CU 4) NU

Nebraska is out, besides how could they go when they didn't even win the Big 12 ... give me a break.
View Quote

Unfortunately, the BCS poll is not in line with the Coaches' poll or the AP poll.  It includes computer rankings, which put Nebraska's strength of schedule ahead of Oregon's and thus ranks them higher.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#6]
If anyone but Oregon goes to the Rose Bowl it shows how bogus the BCS system is. The PAC10 is one of the strongest conferences in the country and Oregon has earned the #2 rating. On top of that the Rose Bowl as the PAC10's own turf.

If UO is not chosen it will also show that the system is rigged for the big national schools who want to monopolize the money from these games.

My opinions of course.

Talyn
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#7]
DK, first of all, Barnett started at CU under the great coaching of Buffalo Bill McCartney.  Second of all, why WOULD he want to stay at Northwestern???  I mean, they sucked before he got there, but he did take them to the Rose bowl ... so all of you Northwestern fans should feel grateful for Barnet's brief stay there.  

As far as your recruits transferring with him to CU ... why wouldn't they?  They want to play for a REAL football program and have a shot at playing on Sundays, not by scraping the bottom of the barrel at Northwestern.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Talyn,  "The PAC10 is one of the strongest conferences in the country", give me a break.  Since when?  Oregon doesn't play ANYBODY.  The two top conferences in the country are the Big 12 & the SEC.  If there is ANY argument about that, then obvious you don't know college football too well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#9]
It's going to be very, very close between Colorado and Nebraska in the final BCS standings.  My guess is that Nebraska finishes ahead because Tennessee stays ahead of Texas and costs Colorado 0.1 in the quality win department, but it could really go either way.  It will probably be within 0.1 or 0.2 points.

I think it would be a real shame to have a two-loss national champion.  No way Colorado should qualify this year.  They got stomped by Texas and they lost to Fresno State.  Who cares that they got hot at the end of the year.  They are a really good but definitely not national championship calibre this year.  But I can't say I'm all that excited about Nebraska or Oregon either.  

I think Nebraska is the best of several poor choices.  In any case, whoever goes will probably get shellaced by Miami.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#10]
The SEC has eaten each other alive this year...Tennessee blew it..Florida blew it..whoever or whatever happens, Miami will be the National Champion this year.

[red]Florida[/red] [gold]State[/gold] Alum,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The SEC has eaten each other alive this year
View Quote

Probably every conference could say this.  I know it's true about the Big 12 this year, too.  Nebraska blew it (but maybe they'll back in anyway), Oklahoma blew it, Texas blew it.  They beat each other up.  When a team can go undefeated through a tough conference, that's something special.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually, when I look at the numbers again, there is almost no way Colorado is going to the Rose Bowl.  It's going to very, very close (NU 7.23 to CU 7.28), but unless something weird happens, it's going to be Nebraska.  Colorado would have to move relative to another team that didn't play in one of the four computers that is still outstanding.  One of those four is Billingsley, and he doesn't adjust ratings for teams that don't play, so that leaves only three computers.  Colorado is pretty far behind Florida in Rothman, so it won't gain there.  That leaves Wolfe and Anderson-Hester, and it's not likely to move in either of those.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll just add that Colorado is too far behind Nebraska in Wolfe and too far behind Oregon in Anderson-Hester to pass either one of them without any of three having played.  Colorado might even stay behind Tennessee in Billingsley, which would put them behind Nebraska 7.23 to 7.45.  Colorado has no chance.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#14]
You can say what you want about Nebraska, but how can a team who didn't win their own conference go to the National Championship?  

They need badly to implement a playoff system.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can say what you want about Nebraska, but how can a team who didn't win their own conference go to the National Championship?  

They need badly to implement a playoff system.
View Quote

I don't think anyone (among the fans, at least) disagrees with that.

But how can a team who loses two games go to the National Championship?  It's as simple as that, Colorado did not deserve to go, and they're not going.  No team that loses twice, to #20 and to #9, and gets absolutely smashed by one of those teams 41-7, deserves to play for the national championship.  You can complain about Nebraska, but Colorado doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#16]
It's Miami and Nebraska in the Rose Bowl!
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Oregon deserves to go to the Rose Bowl....that sucks that Nebraska got the tap.

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#18]
those standings are all fd up how can you go all season winning then lose one game at the end and fall 3-4 spots.a play off system is needed for the top teams to determine a champ.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#20]
The only way it can truly be determined is with a PLAYOFF!!  Miami fully deserves to play for the championship!  Nebraska on the other hand, does not!  A team that finishes third in their conference has no right to play for the National Championship!  The BCS is just BS!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The only way it can truly be determined is with a PLAYOFF!!  Miami fully deserves to play for the championship!  Nebraska on the other hand, does not!  A team that finishes third in their conference has no right to play for the National Championship!  The BCS is just BS!!
View Quote

So do you think we should have just handed Miami the National Championship trophy and forgotten the whole Rose Bowl thing?  If they're going to play in it, they need an opponent.  Exactly whom do you suggest?  It seems to me that there are only three legitimate candidates:  Nebraska, Colorado, and Oregon.  All three of them have negatives, so living in reality instead of fantasy, we have to deal with that.  Colorado has two losses to lesser teams.  That makes them a poor choice.  Nebraska didn't win their conference (although I don't know how you figure they finished third).  Oregon had a relatively weak schedule compared to the other two and didn't dominate their opponents.  Given the circumstances, I would be happy with either Oregon or Nebraska, and of the two Nebraska does seem a bit better.  The BCS did a good job given the lousy choices it had.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Given my personal bias, I think Virginia Tach should be given another crack at Miami.  They lost by two points to them - two points that were lost on a two point conversion where a wide open receiver dropped the ball.  Besides, the revenge factor would make for an interesting game.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Listen Boston Tea Party, Colorado didn't lose to lesser teams.  As I recall, BOTH UT and Fresno were ranked teams.  And as far as NU being third in the conference ...... what place would you put them in?  I mean, they didn't win the big 12 .... therefore the team that WON and the team that lost in the CHAMPIONSHIP game are number 1 and 2 respectfully.  So they might have come in 3rd place.  

You'll get NO such sympathy from me towards Nebraska.  The funny thing is,IF Nebraska wins, they won't have the National Championship to themselves ..... hehehe!!  THEN let's see how the little red riding hoods whine about not being the sole national champion, when they didn't even deserve to be in the Rose Bowl in the first place.  Go Big Red! hahaha!!!!  
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#24]
How about them Huskers!! Does Nebraska deserve to go more than Oregon?  Maybe, Maybe not, but life ain't always fair.  Get used to it.  Colorado, 2 losses, comon.  Your complaining about the Huskers going with 1 loss, so if they had 2 losses why wouldn't they deserve to go? The truth is, Miami got lucky when they played bad, they still played just good enough to get the win. If the Huskers win the Rose Bowl, by a squeak, they will deserve a share of the Championship.  If they stomp Miami, they'll deserve the whole pie.    No Doubt about one thing, Crouch  deserved the Heisman, he was by far the best athlete of the group. [soapbox]

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry Colorado you are going to have to settle for a rematch with us Duckies. Hopefully it will turn out differently than the last two. The only team that deserves to be in the Rose Bowl is Miami, they took care of business even when it looked ugly. I am a duck fan and we didn't TKB, so we were left at the mercy of the voters like the rest of ya, so to all you who think you should be there and aren't, quit whining.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Listen Boston Tea Party, Colorado didn't lose to lesser teams.  As I recall, BOTH UT and Fresno were ranked teams.
View Quote

That's all fine and well, but they are still lesser teams than the one Nebraksa lost to, aren't they?  That was my point.  Nebraska lost to #3 on the road.  Colorado lost to #20 at home and to #9 on the road.  That means Colorado lost to lesser teams than Nebraska did.  For comparison, Oregon lost to at home to #11 Stanford 49-42.  I would put that loss somewhere in between Nebraska's one loss and Colorado's two.

And as far as NU being third in the conference ...... what place would you put them in?  I mean, they didn't win the big 12 .... therefore the team that WON and the team that lost in the CHAMPIONSHIP game are number 1 and 2 respectfully.  So they might have come in 3rd place.
View Quote

The Big 12 doesn't award anything for the whole conference other than the championship, so I guess it's up to us to speculate.  Colorado is the obvious champion--lost only one conference game, beat the other team that lost only one game head-to-head, and beat the South Division champion.  But I don't think Texas has any more of a claim on second place than Nebraska.  Texas was 6-2 in conference, Nebraska was 6-1, and they didn't play head-to-head.  You can say that Nebraska was second place in the Big 12 North division, but the conference doesn't award overall placement other than first place.

You'll get NO such sympathy from me towards Nebraska.
View Quote

BTW, I'm not a Nebraska fan.  I'm a Big 12 fan.  A Sooner fan, specifically, but they don't have a horse in the national championship race anymore, so I can't cheer for them.  

The funny thing is,IF Nebraska wins, they won't have the National Championship to themselves ..... hehehe!!  THEN let's see how the little red riding hoods whine about not being the sole national champion, when they didn't even deserve to be in the Rose Bowl in the first place.  Go Big Red! hahaha!!!!  
View Quote

I don't think most of them would whine.  The Nebraska fans I know feel lucky that their team is still in it.  It's the Colorado fans that have been the big bunch of whiners.  As a Big 12 fan, I'd be happy to see both Nebraska and Colorado win in January and share the national championship.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top