Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2001 6:16:10 AM EDT
[b]Intel:[/b]

AP Washington - Members of Congress are on their way to a $4,900 pay raise in January as the Senate used a midnight vote to thwart lawmakers who tried to block it.  

After a debate that lasted five minutes late Friday night, the Senate used  a 65-33 procedural vote to defeat an effort by Sen. Russel Feingold, D-Wis., to stop the increase from taking effect.  Under a 1989 law, legislators get an annual cost-of-living raise unless the House and Senate vote to block it, a mechanism that often lets the increases take effect with little notice.

The latest boost is for 3.4% and will raise members annual salaries to $150,000.  

Feingold questioned the timing of a congressional pay boost when "our economy is in a recession and hundreds of thousands of workers have been laid off."  He also noted that the string of four straight budget surpluses is now expectd to end.

Fourteen of the 30 senators running for re-election next year voted against the pay raise.  Two who will retire in January - Sens. Phil Gramm, R-TX, and Strom Thurmond, R-SC, - voted for the increase, while a third retiree, Jesse Helms, R-NC, did not vote.  

[b]Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-SD, and minority Leader Trent Lott, R-Miss, voted not to block the increase.[/b]

[b]Targets[/b]

Your congressional rapresentatives.  No, that is not a typo.

[b]Rules of Engagement[/b]

This is a Free-Fire condition as it pertains to your lawful, if not necessarily genteel, expression of your opinion regarding this situation.  As usual, Team Ar15 will deny any knowledge of its existence or your participation should you do something stupid.

Lock and Load, ladies and gents.[devil]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#1]
FIRE FOR EFFECT!
Done.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this violate the 27th amendment?

Article. [XXVII.]
[Proposed 1789; Ratified 1992; Second of twelve Articles comprising the Bill of Rights]

No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this violate the 27th amendment?

Article. [XXVII.]
[Proposed 1789; Ratified 1992; Second of twelve Articles comprising the Bill of Rights]

No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.
View Quote

No, I don't think it does, this law was passed a few years ago and as such an election cycle has already intervened - it's just an automatic increase - they have to vote to [b]stop[/b] it - which is what the senator from WI was attempting to get them to do, and was manouvered around by the midnite vote to [b]not[/b] vote down the increase... I know it's convoluted logic, but it's congress after all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top