Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 12/8/2001 8:54:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2001 6:33:23 PM EDT by 111AAAm-O-Tramp]
I have always wanted a Winchester 94 30/30. I suppose it's because all of my cowboy heroes carried a Winchester. I have Browning lever guns and a Winchester 22 Mag also, but I never bought a 30/30 94 Winchester. Those that shoot 94 Winchesters, what brands/bullet grs. do best for plinking and pests. Thanks ahead of time and Merry Christmas to all. Just got my new tool home. I like the way it carries and how fast it is to shoulder, very handsome rifle. Should have gotten one of these a long time ago. For now I bought 2 boxes of Winchester 150 GR. Silvertips . Great gun and I am happy with it. I was told to oil it up and put it away untill Santa comes, damn I am Santa. Thanks guys, and DaMan I printed out your load info. I will be trying out your recipes. [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p5ceb1a691e99ee678c2473e9c6e43c09/fe169cad.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:47:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 111AAAm-O-Tramp: Those that shoot 94 Winchesters, what brands/bullet grs. do best for plinking and pests. Thanks ahead of time and Merry Christmas to all.
View Quote
I don't shoot a Win. 94, BUT I have worked quite a bit on various .30-30 loads. For plinking and pests, I like a reload using Unique and 165 gr. LFNs sized to .310". These are FUN plinker and pest loads! I use the plain base design, but you can also use the gas check designs. 7.0 - 9.0 gr. of Unique with standard large rifle primer. This is a plinking load and really fun for use on pistol type steel reactive targets. DaMan
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:05:43 PM EDT
Congrats on the new purchase, always fun to bring home a new baby. [:)] I've been thinking about picking up a lever action, probably in .45LC to match the Vaquero I also plan on eventually getting. OK, Ford vs. Chevy time, should I get a Marlin or a Winchester? What are the good and bad points of each? Living in California sure helps round out a gun collection as the would all be black if I lived in another state. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:11:31 PM EDT
Ratters, if you're thinking of using them for any SASS stuff I would go with the Marlin. Of course, I use a Winny. But I'm an oddball.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 12:32:20 PM EDT
I've got a Whinny and a Bushy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:17:47 PM EDT
Tramp, I second what Daman says on the cast bullets for fun plinking loads, I also used Unique powder but am sure there are others that would perform great. Ratters, My wife has a lever gun made by Rossi in 45LC. It is a replica of the Winchester model 92. (Chuck Connors used a 92 in his classic TV show the Rifleman) This gun comes in the carbine and rifle config. The wife's is the full rifle version with half round and half octogan barrel. I think the thing that sold us on this rifle over the other replicas is it doesn't have the added safety button that comes on the Winchesters and Marlins. I have a lever gun in 45LC also, it is from Uberti and is the 1860 Henry model. I like this gun also but will admit that I end up shooting the wifes much more than the Henry. I think maybe I will get another in the 1873! Have fun, Tuco
Top Top