Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2001 7:44:53 PM EDT
Try this on for size.  I got my paycheck today.  I went to the bank, made a deposit, and requested a balance.  Somehow, my account seems to be nearly $200 deficient of what I remember that it should be…  So I pull my checkbook out of the glove compartment of my car, and start peeking up at the binding.  It appears that three checks and the carbons behind them have been ripped out.  I went into the bank, and the nice guy – I bet he was sorry he had to ruin my day – ran a report of all the checks that have been cashed.  One of them was for $175, and I have no recollection of ever having written a check for that amount.  The only other person that has ever had an opportunity to get into my car has been my ex-boyfriend.  Before I accuse him of check fraud and theft, the bank is going to get a hard copy of the check.  By Tuesday, it should be in.  I’ll be able to prove that the handwriting isn’t mine and then take my information to the police.  The ex-boyfriend being not such a nice guy, I’m going to have to watch my back.  He’ll do what he always does – insist that he didn’t do anything wrong and accuse me of being a bitch.  How disappointing it will be for him that I don’t think that at all.  His own actions have gotten him into this mess and I’ll be damned if he’ll hold me accountable for it.

Just a little mini-rant…  I would love to use a few expressive phrases to describe the ex, but I don’t want to violate any conduct codes and make the moderators work any harder than they have to.  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Kick him right square in the nuts, then he'll be equally pissed!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Explain it in physical terms?  I would love to do that myself, but know that I would feel badly about it afterwards.  Violence isn't my favorite way to solve things.  My sister, however, doesn't feel that way and has volunteered to take him on.  That would certainly prove to be an interesting match since he's nearly 10 inches taller than her and outweighs her by at least 80 pounds.  But God, I love having a supportive family.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
This happened to me once also.  I was at work (midnight shift in a hospital).  I had the checkbook in my Jacket pocket hanging in the break room in back.  The guy took  2 checks and both Carbons from the middle of the book--so it wasn't immediately evident.  He wrote one check out for about $150 for "housework".  He signed my name (the signature wasn't remotely close to mine), went up the street to the Credit Union, and cashed it.  The other was never written, or I caught it in time--I filed a police report, and stopped the second check.  I got the money back from the first check also.  The Police NEVER followed up on it--the Credit Union had a video tape of the guy at the teller station, but the police never came to pick it up.  I watch the Checkbook a lot closer now.

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as your prosecute, then no matter what you are not liable for the loss, the bank is. They accepted a forged check with a signature on it which did not match your's on the signature card. They are out the money. They will require you allow presecution though.

Don't let the bank bully you into thinking it's your fault. They are not allowed to cash forged checks, it's all on them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a case for Judge Judy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 2:39:38 AM EDT
[#7]
In the old days your big brother, or another large, male relative would kick the guy's ass.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Checks?
Are people still using those things?
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Checks?
Are people still using those things?  
View Quote

Yeah in the Express line with eleven items and always, ALWAYS, when they are in front of me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:26:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#12]
In a perfect world, this would never happen ....but I think your best recourse as stated above is to nail him with the law. In today's world, its your best bet and will keep you from getting charged with assault or some other vague criminal charge IF you rightfully beat his @#$#@#$%. I'd use the legal system to be safe. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Just have him arrested and let "Tiny" or "Bubba" do all the dirty work for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top