Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2001 10:44:56 PM EDT
Ok I know it's ok to leave AR mags loaded indefinatly.  But is it ok to leave a shotgun loaded all the time?  Don't ask me where but on some advertisement somewhere I read you shouldn't leave a shotgun loaded for more than a month because it was bad for the spring.  Of course they where selling springs.  Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
My Mossberg has sat fully loaded for a year now and I have never had any problems with it
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 2:32:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have heard of, but not seen, LE shotguns that the spring has bound inside the mage tube due to rust.  Being that its compressed when it rusts, the theory goes that it rusts to itself and cannot re-expand.  Don't know if there's any valididty to it, but if you were concerned you could always remove the spring every so often and oil it up.

Personally, I would also clean out and oil the inside of the mag tube, especially on a used gun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 3:12:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I've kept my 870 with extended magazine fully loaded for months at a time over the 10 years that I've had it.  

It still has that original extended magazine spring and works just fine.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The actual working (loading and unloading) of the spring is what causes it to weaken. Not keeping it compressed or relaxed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top