Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2001 2:16:44 PM EDT
I've been unemployed for the last 7 months and finally started a new job contracting (read "no benefits"). My wife is now a couple weeks into expecting. I looked into buying Health Insurance, but most of them won't pay maternity until after 9 mos of the policy's life. Or they specifically say they won't pay if she's pregnant before we buy the policy. I didn't buy it earlier because it would have cost about $400/month that I didn't have.
What do I do now? How much is this going to cost if I just pay for everything myself?
Damn, and to think our last kid cost us about $60!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There's probably a herd of single welfare moms with litters of kids living in or near your community.  Find out how they do it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Check on Medicaid coverage for the two of them.  Also, most hospitals will either negotiate a deep discount or will allow you to pay the bill over time.

Congrats!  Kids are a blast!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Try to get some sort of coverage, I think it was just under 6 thousand for one kid!I didn't have insurance for the birth of one of my kids,fortunately I did for the other two.Regardless having a kid and becoming a dad again will make you a rich man!I'll pray everything turns out ok for you and your family.[):)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't knpw what state you are in, but in Texas apply for medicaid, the income limits are very high. It will probably cost nothing. After the end of pregnancy, the mother is insured (thru medicaid) for 2monthe and the child forone year.  My wife works for Texas Dept. of Human Services, and does this for a living.  Good luck...fullclip
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I just had one 10 days ago.  $2,550 outta my own pocket ( I don't have insurance either) for the Doc, that included all office visits and the delivery, does'nt include labs.  Had to make one hospital visit during the pregnancy turned out to be nothing, cost me $300.  Hospital at that time told me to expect around $2K for a normal delivery with no complications.  Around October 1 I became unemployed she got on medicaid (made too much money while I was employed) they took care of the hospital bill.  However any pain killers, like epidural is not covered and will cost you.  Also, here in AR if your not on medicaid by the 7th month they will not pay for the delivery.  Most Docs want to be paid in full by the 7th month anyway.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey CIB, that was $2,550 WITH Medicaid? I'm afraid I'll be making too much for Medicaid, but I'm pretty tapped out from the stretch of unemployment. I just started that job this week, I guess that will mean that like my wife, I'm a little late.
Newtoma, who do you talk to at a hospital to negotiate a "package"?

If she get's a job soon with a good company, will that insurance cover it? (the market seems to be a little better for her former profession than mine) I sincerely don't know if I'm above having her work just for insurance till she has the kid. Hell, my Company got rid of me when I was no longer useful to them, why shouldn't I do the same to them?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Most insurance companies will consider that a 'pre-existing condition' and will not cover most or all of it.  Find out from the insurance company.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude,

This might be less expensive than the hospital.  [url]http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/default.asp?t=homebirthchoice[/url]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#9]
FIrst off, I'd start socking that $400/month that you didn't want to pay on insurance away - I'm not trying to insult you here, just stating a fact - I've been in the consulting mode without insurance, too, and the premiums can really be terrible.

Secondly, look into IEEE (if you're in the engineering field) as they have an "group" plan.

All that aside, you jsut might want to look at a few plans - some may cover it anyway.

But I'd start putting that premium you're not paying away in savings - that way even if it doesn't cover it all, you'll already have a big down payment to give the hospital/docs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top