Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2001 12:04:09 PM EDT
[url]www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/12/6/182613.shtml[/url]

For example:

Ashcroft clashed with Democrat senators over the Justice Department's refusal to [i]let the FBI check its records[/i] to see if any of those arrested after the Sept. 11 had bought guns.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Lets not make it any easier for them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are records of FFL requests for NICS checks. It is assumed that if a check is OK'ed, the person bought a gun. There is no record there that a gun was actually purchased, what kind it was, or if more than one was purchased. And those records are erased afater 90 days.

In states with purchase permit requirements, like Iowa where I live, there is no NICS check and no track of the purchase except the yellow form that the FFL keeps. The only reason the Feds know that I am a gun owner is that I have a C&R license.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In states with purchase permit requirements, like Iowa where I live, there is no NICS check and no track of the purchase except the yellow form that the FFL keeps.
View Quote

The BATF gets ahold of that form eventually, ya know.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
How about this:

When an FFL goes out of business, he has to send his acquisition and disposition record (bound book), 4473s, and all other transaction records to the ATF (Atlanta office, if memory serves).

If you've ever bought a gun from a dealer who later went out of business, the ATF has your records. If that's not federal registration, I don't know what is.

This might sound like common knowledge, but there have been a few people that I've informed of this fact who were shocked to learn it. Some people think that when a dealer goes out of business he just destroys his records.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When an FFL goes out of business, he has to send his acquisition and disposition record (bound book), 4473s, and all other transaction records to the ATF (Atlanta office, if memory serves)....
View Quote

But is the data in a readily-retrievable format there (and I've heard it's West Virginia BTW)?

Have all the back 4473s captured since 1968 been put into a computer database, or even microfilmed?  Or are the yellow sheets just bulk-filed in that warehouse where they keep the Arc of the Covenant, Jimmy Hoffa, and Chandra Levy?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
A backround check on a individual run a few months back......(ME).......revealed ALL purchases since the mid 80's![:0]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]
bolt,

Are you an LEO or just an ordinary dude?
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
IF you are going to sell a gun, do it here.
[url]www.the56.com[/url]

Within the same state and without paperwork.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Cali_kid,

Just checked the ATF website. Yep, you're right, the records go to WV. I guess I'm suffering from CRS- Can't Remember Shit. It has been 11 years since I sent my records in, though.

I don't know how the records are stored, but my guess is that by now, the records have been somehow computerized. Probably scanned and indexed. I suppose I could call and ask, but I doubt I'd get the truth.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have all the back 4473s captured since 1968 been put into a computer database, or even microfilmed?  Or are the yellow sheets just bulk-filed in that warehouse where they keep the Arc of the Covenant, Jimmy Hoffa, and Chandra Levy?
View Quote

I saw a 20/20 or some other news magazine show about the ATF and they did show the warehouse filled with boxes of 4473 from out of business dealers. The ATF guy said that THEY WERE in the process of entering all of those 4473's into a computer system and IIRC it would take 2 years. The show aired about 5 years ago.

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Imbroglio,

An informative, if atypical post for you. I'm certain you have some opinion as to how it is beneficial for society to have such a computerized registry.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But is the data in a readily-retrievable format there (and I've heard it's West Virginia BTW)?

Have all the back 4473s captured since 1968 been put into a computer database, or even microfilmed?
View Quote

It doesn't have to be computerized to be a "database"!
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#13]
So is my point.  The Federal Gov't has all your records.  There is an "unofficial" gun registration, and all arguments debating whether or not we should impose an "official" registration are just for show, really; just a waste of time/breath.  

The only reason why the Fed. Gov't wants to have an "official" registration system is to cover their asses, because this illegal stockpiling of records shit is going to blow up in their faces eventually.  (For Example:  That guy in VA bringing the BATF to court over registration).
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, we already have de fact registration.  What we are fighting for is [b]our very existence.[/b]  Get it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top