Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Shooting your own dog is some backwoods shit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I dont think this man deserves to be called names in any way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
There's only one instance were I think I could do it . Ex: My Dog Drake gets hit my a car or something and he's sitting there dying painfully . Other than somethin like that I could never bring myself to do it , he's like my son. We have shared countless days hunting together and just doing everything together. If it ever comes to that point I will have the vet come to the hunting club (his favorite place) and do it there. But even thinking about it gives me the shakes I just couldn't do it unless I was put on the spot and had to to end his suffering and there was no other option.

Don't do it unless you are 100% sure about it. Get the vet to come out to your house and cook your dog a steak like others have said and let him get full and then let the vet do the deed while you pet your dog and what not.

Anybody who has done this is more of a man than I am.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:

I suppose you think hunting and preparing your own food is some backwoods @#$! too?  If an animal is dying and in pain why not end it's suffering humanely as possible?

If that means taking it to the vet, fine.  If it means shooting it in your backyard, okay...

Maybe I'm just an emotional messed up heartless bastard, but I would rather put it down myself.  I have a feeling that dragging a pet to the vets office would be a lot more traumatic than shot to the cerebellum in a surrounding it's familiar with.

My moms dog is getting up in age and I'm not looking forward to the possibility of killing it, but I will if necessary.

http://www.marvistavet.com/assets/images/dog_brain_areas.gif

height=8
Quoted:
Friend of mine made a mess of it.  He tried drugging his GSD with sleeping pills and then using a hammer to brain him.  It didn't work.  I had previously offered to loan him a gun for the task and he finally took me up on it after giving up on the hammer.

Wow, did you use the hammer on your friend to make sure he learned his lesson?

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Had to put my golden retriever down a year ago.  Took starting fluid and a couple of rags and held it near his snout to seei f he pulled away.  He just breathed it in and relaxed.  Kept it there until his heart stopped and then about 5 min more.  

Toughest thing I've ever done, we had the dog for 13 years or so.  Got him when I was in 6th grade...  I don't regret it, he went very very peacefully.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I love dogs- got 3 beagles and this is making me sad.....I think I'm going to go watch an old Disney to cheer myself up....Anybody that has seen it, don't spoil the end for me!

(honestly- this thread is making me sad- not sure what I'm going to do when it comes to that point with my 3 little beasts...)
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Come on guys, some of you need reminded:

It's just a fucking dog.
Not a human.

What emotional content you choose to import into the situation should not be allowed to spill onto other, more rational people.
The difference between a dog and a pig raised for food is all in your head.  I have killed several of each.

ETA:  And yes, I cried over the dog.  But my emotional baggage should not be imposed onto other adults and their animals.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there a cocktail of over-the counter drugs one can use to do the job in a humane fashion?  A large dose of peanut butter and sleeping bills perhaps?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is there a cocktail of over-the counter drugs one can use to do the job in a humane fashion?  A large dose of peanut butter and sleeping bills perhaps?  

The trick is to stagger the sleeping pills.  If you give a killing dose all at once the body will usually reject it.
Give a "normal" dose, and after it has a chance to depress the involuntary muscle centers, give a second, killing dose.

It takes more than you would think to reliably kill anything.  An LD-100 is significantly higher than an LD-50.

Stagger over three doses for best results.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I would not do it yourself, i have done it and it still haunts me to this day. Have a close friend or family member who knows the dog but is not close to it do it for you. Ask no questions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've never had to kill a dog before but I've killed plenty of coons I've trapped. Even with perfect shot placement, they die, but still kick (reflexes). Also had to do the same thing to some of my prize show chickens. They flop like hell.

What I'm saying is that even if the animal "dies", it'll still most likely kick and flop a little bit. I wouldn't want to see that with my dog.

I think you're better off with another means of putting it down.

I have a friend who's friend's kid killed himself with CO2. Ran a tube from the exhaust of the car to the car, closed the windows and was lights out. Horrible, but CO2 does work, the trick is making sure there's enough of it in a confined area.

I've heard that antifreeze also kills pets (heard of it being used to kill stray cats). Supposedly they love the taste of it and it knocks them out.

Just my two cents.

Bummer

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've never had to kill a dog before but I've killed plenty of coons I've trapped. Even with perfect shot placement, they die, but still kick (reflexes). Also had to do the same thing to some of my prize show chickens. They flop like hell.

What I'm saying is that even if the animal "dies", it'll still most likely kick and flop a little bit. I wouldn't want to see that with my dog.

I think you're better off with another means of putting it down.

I have a friend who's friend's kid killed himself with CO2. Ran a tube from the exhaust of the car to the car, closed the windows and was lights out. Horrible, but CO2 does work, the trick is making sure there's enough of it in a confined area.

I've heard that antifreeze also kills pets (heard of it being used to kill stray cats). Supposedly they love the taste of it and it knocks them out.

Just my two cents.

Bummer

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Pre-dig a hole.

Put an open can of tuna in the hole.

Take your buddy for a walk, and as he is enjoying the tuna shoot him where the spinal cord enters the skull, contact shot.

Lights out, no pain, while enjoying a special treat with his master.  Best possible end in the world.  Fill the hole and cry a little if you need to.

Do not freak out and miss.

Poor dog
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pre-dig a hole.

Put an open can of tuna in the hole.

Take your buddy for a walk, and as he is enjoying the tuna shoot him where the spinal cord enters the skull, contact shot.

Lights out, no pain, while enjoying a special treat with his master.  Best possible end in the world.  Fill the hole and cry a little if you need to.

Do not freak out and miss.

Poor dog

Why?
Never felt a thing.
Last moments were "the perfect day".

Other than your personal issues, what was the down side?
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
There is no reason to flame this guy. His concerns are valid about the dogs last few moments being terrified at the vets office. I put down my dog two years ago. I had that dog for 16 years and putting her down was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Make sure you can handle the emotions after you pull the trigger before you decide on this option.

ETA: As I result I have not shot the gun I used to put her down since. I honestly don't even like to handle it.

+1
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My dog is old and needs to be put down soon, I live in the city. I would much rather do it myself then take it to the pound and have its last moments being scared. What is the best way to do this? I have no experience with doing something like this. Would a .22 close range be my best choice? Thanks for the help...

Most vets will come to your home and for a small fee give him a shot. Instead of a violent death, and your last memory of your pet being you killing it, wouldn't it be worth a couple duckets to have him go gently to sleep in his comfy spot, or having you pet him when he expires?

It's your dog, but seems like a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Friend of mine made a mess of it.  He tried drugging his GSD with sleeping pills and then using a hammer to brain him.  It didn't work.  I had previously offered to loan him a gun for the task and he finally took me up on it after giving up on the hammer.

A hammer? That's pretty fucked up right there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Another point-
Recently I had to put down an old horse of mine. She was a retired "caparisoned horse"
from the Honors Det. at FT Sam Houston. Fot those who don't know what a "caparisoned horse" is, it's the riderless horse with boots backwards in the stirrups of the saddle that follows the caisson that bears the casket. I adopted her (yes, it's an adoption, not a sale) to give her a few good years before she passed away. She served in the Army from '84 to '04.
Anyway, recently she developed strangles and started failing fast. After 2 days, I decided to have her put down, since she couldn't eat or drink due to the soreness of her throat. Took her to the vet in a rain storm. The vet tech came out, and gave her a sedative shot. After a few minutes, she felt better and started grazing. She still couldn't swallow, but she enjoyed ripping up grass and chewing it, as it fell back out of her mouth. The vet came out with a large syringe and injected her as I held her. As we waited for it to take effect, I told the vet about her history. Eventually she fell over, which startled her. (She was a very dignified horse, who never showed weakness) She tried to get back up but I stopped her with my hand on her shoulder. The vet walked back inside abruptly, and returned with another syringe. He said, "This one's on me" and injected her again. As she lay there making running motions on the ground, he told me that the meds he'd given her really sucked compared to what they used to use. He said that vets could no longer use the "good stuff" because of dopeheads stealing it and using it to get high. The good stuff would make a horse sleepy and calm, so they would lay down and go to sleep. What they use now basically results in dry land drowning. Had I known this, I would have shot her myself. She took a lot longer to die than I thought she should have. So taking your dog to the vet does not mean they get a clean death, it just means the blood isn't on your hands.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
No one has said it yet? Call the police.

What a douche.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Another point-
Recently I had to put down an old horse of mine. She was a retired "caparisoned horse"
from the Honors Det. at FT Sam Houston. Fot those who don't know what a "caparisoned horse" is, it's the riderless horse with boots backwards in the stirrups of the saddle that follows the caisson that bears the casket. I adopted her (yes, it's an adoption, not a sale) to give her a few good years before she passed away. She served in the Army from '84 to '04.
Anyway, recently she developed strangles and started failing fast. After 2 days, I decided to have her put down, since she couldn't eat or drink due to the soreness of her throat. Took her to the vet in a rain storm. The vet tech came out, and gave her a sedative shot. After a few minutes, she felt better and started grazing. She still couldn't swallow, but she enjoyed ripping up grass and chewing it, as it fell back out of her mouth. The vet came out with a large syringe and injected her as I held her. As we waited for it to take effect, I told the vet about her history. Eventually she fell over, which startled her. (She was a very dignified horse, who never showed weakness) She tried to get back up but I stopped her with my hand on her shoulder. The vet walked back inside abruptly, and returned with another syringe. He said, "This one's on me" and injected her again. As she lay there making running motions on the ground, he told me that the meds he'd given her really sucked compared to what they used to use. He said that vets could no longer use the "good stuff" because of dopeheads stealing it and using it to get high. The good stuff would make a horse sleepy and calm, so they would lay down and go to sleep. What they use now basically results in dry land drowning. Had I known this, I would have shot her myself. She took a lot longer to die than I thought she should have. So taking your dog to the vet does not mean they get a clean death, it just means the blood isn't on your hands.

They can't use Ketamine anymore? WTF. You're right, that is not a fitting ending to a horse like that. Awesome of you to take care of it in the last part of it's life though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Come on guys, some of you need reminded:

It's just a fucking dog.
Not a human.

What emotional content you choose to import into the situation should not be allowed to spill onto other, more rational people.
The difference between a dog and a pig raised for food is all in your head.  I have killed several of each.

ETA:  And yes, I cried over the dog.  But my emotional baggage should not be imposed onto other adults and their animals.

My dog is a better "person" than most two legged shitbags walking the world today.

Being a homo sapian doesnt necessarily rank anyone very high in my book. Humanity shouldnt be considered a birthright....you should have to earn the status. Truth be told, most people are scumbags that are incapable of the amount of loyalty, honesty and commitment my dog was born with.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#22]
This thread ranks as one of the saddest I have ever read. There's something particularly sad about a dog's death. They have no malice in them. They are simple, loyal predictable, reliable beasts who share their lives with us in exchange for a little attention. Many of them deserve to be treated far better than they are, yet they don't hold it against their owners.

To the OP, I would seriously reconsider doing it yourself. It would wreck me if I had to do it. I think havng a vet make a house call would be best, and I'd recommend finding a different vet than your usual one. It might have a negative effect on your rapport.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:26:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Take your dog to a Veternarian and have the animal humanly euthesithized.

Any other method to end your pets life is cruel punishment, and you should be charged as such and prosecuted.

Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Why a vet? so he can poke the dog with a needle , that is just great...

laying on a steel table, just wonderful

Growing up in the country we put down several dogs.

Yes a .38 or 9mm will do the job quick and easy.

Push them into the land fill and get a new dog.

God , we have a bunch of woosie here...
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yes, we're very pussified creatures, we pet owners who call a vet, pay him a few bucks to come out and give the dog a shot while he rests in the comfort of his home. We're also sad excuses for men who prefer a peaceful sleep for our companions to a bullet through the brain (which as this thread has illustrated is not exact, can be messy, and will leave you with the indelible image of your dog's head being opened up by a gun shot).

Indeed, I must be a sniveling pussy for having my dog - who lays beside my daughter as she sleeps, barks at strangers, accompanies me where I go, protects my wife when she walks, and gives me hours of joy sent to his end by a needle.....and you're a god damned hero because you shoot your animals, throw them in the trash, and get a new one.

You're a hell of a man. You humble me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:47:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

knuckles drag much?
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, we're very pussified creatures, we pet owners who call a vet, pay him a few bucks to come out and give the dog a shot while he rests in the comfort of his home. We're also sad excuses for men who prefer a peaceful sleep for our companions to a bullet through the brain (which as this thread has illustrated is not exact, can be messy, and will leave you with the indelible image of your dog's head being opened up by a gun shot).

Indeed, I must be a sniveling pussy for having my dog - who lays beside my daughter as she sleeps, barks at strangers, accompanies me where I go, protects my wife when she walks, and gives me hours of joy sent to his end by a needle.....and you're a god damned hero because you shoot your animals, throw them in the trash, and get a new one.

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:04:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yes.  22 in the ear, or between the eyes, up one inch.  I for one, commend you for doing it yourself, but you'd better put your flame suit on.

I had to do this once my eyes still dampen when I think about it.
I also put 2 bullets in the head to ensure it was as painless as possible.
No way I was going to risk the animal just being stuned and in pain.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. Complete fucking ownage.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I did the same About a month ago. it hurt let me tell ya. The dog had a 2 strokes and was basically oblivious to everything anyhow. It was the right thing to do than let her suffer. She wasn't drinking anything near the end so she was going to die later that day probably anyways.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMAO

You have got to be kidding me... Tell a story to pull heart strings and invoke images of childern and that is ownage???  

I little too much in touch with your fem side....

I haven't done this in a log time, our current dog is doing fine and has years left in her.

I think the first time I put a dog down was about 13, dog we had since childhood was getting old, and had lost eyes sight, and had a stroke, so she just stayed in the yards one day she  was just laying in the yard so we dug a deep hole way out in the back and put her said our good byes she was resigned at that point, Shot her with a .38, it was a clean shot, she was dead , yes her body jerked a little bit. But any aninmal you kill will do that, just nerves....

We buried her and put a wood marker on her grave.

We had other dog and some got hit by a truck or chewed by coyotes, or bit by a snake...

They got a hole dug for them and yes a couple got dropped at the dump

We lived in the country, Couldn't afford to spend out money on vets....

And when I have to this dog gets a nice hole in the back fourty and yes I put a bullet in her head and my kids will help me bury her.

City boys......
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No one has said it yet? Call the police.

Not fucking cool.

Lighten up, Francis!
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I spent the $$$ today to have the vet do it. My last time spent with her was with her licking my face, not of me blowing out her brains. I've done it before when I HAD to with a car struck pooch, I'd prefer to spend the $$$$.  

And DON'T take it to the pound, your dog deserves better then to have you leave it with unfamiliar people who are going to kill it. That sucks and you'll regret it if you have a conscience.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMAO

You have got to be kidding me... Tell a story to pull heart strings and invoke images of childern and that is ownage???  

I little too much in touch with your fem side....

I haven't done this in a log time, our current dog is doing fine and has years left in her.

I think the first time I put a dog down was about 13, dog we had since childhood was getting old, and had lost eyes sight, and had a stroke, so she just stayed in the yards one day she  was just laying in the yard so we dug a deep hole way out in the back and put her said our good byes she was resigned at that point, Shot her with a .38, it was a clean shot, she was dead , yes her body jerked a little bit. But any aninmal you kill will do that, just nerves....

We buried her and put a wood marker on her grave.

We had other dog and some got hit by a truck or chewed by coyotes, or bit by a snake...

They got a hole dug for them and yes a couple got dropped at the dump

We lived in the country, Couldn't afford to spend out money on vets....

And when I have to this dog gets a nice hole in the back fourty and yes I put a bullet in her head and my kids will help me bury her.

City boys......

You write like you are 15 years old.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...quote]

Thats cause I have large knuckles that don't move so well....

That and three kids talking around me at times....
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
this won't be good.

shooting your dog is not the way to do it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Take him to a vet.

Cost you like 40 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...quote]

All I can say is few people would call me soft and I've known a "few" old guys who have gutted a few germans, crushed the skulls of japanese and would skull [bleep] you and eat a steak 5 minutes later without a care in the world take their pooch in to be put down rather then shoot their best friend themselves.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...quote]

All I can say is few people would call me soft and I've known a "few" old guys who have gutted a few germans, crushed the skulls of japanese and would skull [bleep] you and eat a steak 5 minutes later without a care in the world take their pooch in to be put down rather then shoot their best friend themselves.

Knowing other tough guys, OK...  Does that mean it has rubbed off on you or what.

I'm just posting the experiance I had and they way I grew up.

I know plenty of people who do the same. It is just a dog after all.

Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It sucks to have to put our dogs down.  I'm wondering if perhaps you could give it some type of sedative first to make it sleep and then do the finishing work.  

A benadryl in hamburger works.  Seriously.

what are you serious? we give our Jack Russel a benadryl daily for allergies as per the veterinarian. maybe 30 benadryls might do it but one or two wont do shit but clear up a rash.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Just make sure you can deal with such a thing.  It's very much akin to zapping a best friend because he's old.  Good luck to ya.

I am a very slow person to absorb tragedy. I put my Great Dane down and broke into tears 6 weeks later. My wife was really worried.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#42]
To the OP:

My friend, I can't imagine having to put down my dog myself.  Take him to the vet or have the vet come to your house.  While I understand your reasoning and believe that you are trying to do the right thing, that's gotta haunt your dreams for years to come.  If that dog has been your friend for a very long time, can you imagine carrying his lifeless body with a GSW to his grave?  I sure couldn't do it to mine.

Seriously, either take him to the vet or have the vet come over.

If you simply can't afford to take him to the vet. Send me an IM.  I have to believe the generosity of ARFCOM will prevail and help you, if not, I'll do my best to help you myself.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Youre sitting here yapping on the net while your dog is suffering in pain?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#44]
When I was 18 our family dog was very old and starting suffer. I took her out into the woods and shot her in the back of the head as humanly as I could. I would wish that experiance on no one. Find another way if you can.  I still get tears in my eyes thinking about it or if I see a picture of her.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It sucks to have to put our dogs down.  I'm wondering if perhaps you could give it some type of sedative first to make it sleep and then do the finishing work.  

A benadryl in hamburger works.  Seriously.

what are you serious? we give our Jack Russel a benadryl daily for allergies as per the veterinarian. maybe 30 benadryls might do it but one or two wont do shit but clear up a rash.

You can't get enough of any sedative into those hyper little bastards to make a difference anyway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I have always done the deed myself.  I have always felt like it was my duty.  Not some strangers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
My friend, I can't imagine having to put down my dog myself.  Take him to the vet or have the vet come to your house.  While I understand your reasoning and believe that you are trying to do the right thing, that's gotta haunt your dreams for years to come.  If that dog has been your friend for a very long time, can you imagine carrying his lifeless body with a GSW to his grave?  I sure couldn't do it to mine.

Had to do it several times and not a single time has the animal suffered.  Not "haunted by it" for a single second.  A suffering critter was no longer suffering.  I remember dogs that I put down quite fondly, but they were livestock (and not worth the 50 mile drive for the nearest vet when I was growing up).  A dog I had from the time I was a baby until high school was the hardest, but it needed to be done.  Miss the dog, don't regret the act one bit.  I've also slaughtered animals I raised from birth (calves, lambs, goat kids) for food and never had a problem chowing down on them later even though they were cute and fuzzy or whatever.  I'm not heartless, just practical and raised to be self-sufficient (or at least try to be when possible).  You want to take your animal to a vet, good for you.  I'd rather take care of anything I can do myself personally.  It doesn't make me a caveman.  

I honestly don't understand the level of sentimentality some people have about domestic beasts, but you're entitled to your own lifestyle as much as I am.  A generation or more ago, nobody would have thought twice about someone performing euthanasia on a pet themselves even if they wouldn't feel comfortable themselves, now we're all tripping over our own dicks to show how sensitive we are and get sand in our panties that someone can take care of business without intervention.  The world is full of cute little critters.  I eat some, keep some as pets, and when the time comes I'm not squeamish about putting a bullet in their heads if they're suffering.

Also, anyone who thinks vets have a gentle hand never worked in a vet's office or an animal shelter.  They often don't give a rat's ass about you or your dog, or if he suffers, good bedside manner or not (a small few do care, but in my experience it's a minority... I've worked for/with a bunch of vets over the years, and volunteered at several animal shelters, maybe 3 vets out of that sample gave a shit).  Also, I've seen dogs take the shot and die scared shitless and shaking on the table (as opposed to the bullet, where they never knew what hit them). Still, if it makes you feel better, go for it.  For now it's still a free country.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I had to put my dog down today.  Good lord this was hard.  I used a vet, it was painless and took seconds while I held her in my arms.

One thing to be aware of.  If your dog is starting to bite because she's old and in pain a lot, don't tell your vet that.  If you say the dog bit you, they'll refuse to put her down but instead demand you wait 10 days.  This is to monitor for rabies.  If you say she's starting to "nip" and be more aggressive, but oh no, no actual biting, then they'll do their job.  

I had to go through two vets today before I navigated the Bullshit minefield and this sad task could be completed.  When having to deal with something as tragic as this, it's horseshit to have to deal with knowing the exact answer to questions like this.  The dog's old - she doesn't have rabies. To me, I thought "nip" and bite were the same.   I guess the word "bite" to some must mean some kind of a vicious attack, broken skin, blood, etc.   So in my case, the dog was old, in pain, and was nipping.

Fuck - today sucked.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I had to do it with a beagle that was my son's dog.  I thought I could do it myself with my 22 revolver.  Well, i did it alright.  It was emotionally difficult in a way I never expected it to be.  It wasn't pleasant to watch.  I shot him right between the eyes about an inch high and he slumped eyes still open but dead and then defecated all over the place.  

I won't do it again.

pat
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#50]
My wife had a Basset hound, for 10 years, it got cancer, took her to the Vet a month ago, it was not that peacefull put to sleep stuff, her veins kept blowing out she was yelping and it took like 20 min to get the drugs in her. Never again, a steak and egg dinner a walk in the woods and I can do it in a instance, no pain.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top