Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 9:57:35 AM EDT
I'm 16 years old and I'd like to improve my physical fitness. I am by no means obese but I am admittedely a little out of shape.  I am
5'10" tall and I weigh just under 190lbs so weight isn't my biggest concern.  I find that I tire to easily while doing running with my heart rate going up very easily.  I think I am strong enough I occassionally lift weights and I can do many push ups.  Also I can beat most of my friends at an arm wrestle but not a race.  I would like to lose a little weight and make my heart stronger.  Can anyone send some suggestions my way?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm 16 years old and I'd like to improve my physical fitness. I am by no means obese but I am admittedely a little out of shape.  I am
5'10" tall and I weigh just under 190lbs so weight isn't my biggest concern.  I find that I tire to easily while doing running with my heart rate going up very easily.  I think I am strong enough I occassionally lift weights and I can do many push ups.  Also I can beat most of my friends at an arm wrestle but not a race.  I would like to lose a little weight and make my heart stronger.  Can anyone send some suggestions my way?
View Quote

Jogging, riding a bicycle, and swimming are by far the best cardiovascular exercises going....

Don Out
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've heard that owning and firing an AR-15 can improve overall physical fitness, as well as sharpening the mind and improving sexual attractiveness and performance.

Does anyone doubt me?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Start out with walking and bicycling.  Bicycling is a "zero impact" exercise that won't hammer your skeleton.

Start out easy, and then progress steadily, watching out for injury.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I recommend Covert Bailey's "The Ultimate Fit or Fat". It educates you on how much of what you should weigh (bone,muscle,fat). Some people could be 190 and 5'10 and have a healthy body fat ratio. In others it could be obese.

It also covers some basic chemistry relating to enzymes, how they are produced and what they do, and how to stimulate production of the good ones.

Covert Bailey is getting on in years now, but he did shows on PBS for years blowing fad diets and quack approaches out of the water.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#6]
1. Crack open the yellow pages.
2. Look up "Boxing Gyms".
3. Call and explain your problem to them.

Let us know how that works out for you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
People, people, this guy is a CANADIAN and we must design a CANADIAN fitness regimine.

Start with something less strenuous like curling, and then work your way up to hockey.  If you're 16, just join the high school hockey team.  

Above all, avoid Tim Horton's.  And Moosehead/Labatt's/Molson beer.  This might be a great sacrifice, but your gut will thank you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#11]
If you smoke, quit.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Before you do anything at all, have a complete physical including, if your doctor will approve it, a stress test. A 16 year old who 'tires easily' could either be in need of some cardiovascular exercise or could have an underlying problem causing the tiredness as a symthom.

After you've done that and gotten a clean bill of health from your doctor, consider your goals. I assume from your description that you don't aspire to be a professional athlete, so don't worry about anything else until you have seen to your heart. If your heart rate goes up quickly while doing aerobic exercise and doesn't return to normal relatively quickly (2-5 minutes), then you need to build a base of cardiovascular fitness. This adds additional benefits since it increases your metabolism and improves your circulation which will be useful whether you choose to pursue bodybuilding or triathlon (which are almost diametrically opposed fitness goals).

I would suggest that you invest in a heart rate monitor and a couple of books on the subject. Precision Heart Rate Training by Edmund R. Burke, Ed. is a good 'sport neutral' book, and The Heart Rate Monitor Book for Outdoor and Indoor Cyclists by Sally Edwards and Sally Reed is good for a cycling centric program.

That's the advice, and here's what it's done for me. I've lost 51 pounds in the last year (still have a way to go). I've gone from being winded walking up a flight of stairs at work to riding a metric century (100 km or 64 miles) on my bike. I couldn't complete a weight 'circuit' when I started, but have no problem now completing two 'circuits' end to end.

My goal is not bodybuilding, as I am more inclined to be involved in endurance sports, but fitness is still an important foundation for bodybuilding.

Also, since you're young, I'll pass along some advice that many of my friends ignored when we were your age. Steroids and 'performance enhancing' drugs are not worth the heartache (literally) they will cause later in life.

When it comes to beating your friends in races, you might be someone like me whose physiology simply doen't lend itself to sprinting. At 5'10", you might think about how long your legs are compared to your height. It could be that your stride is shorter, and you'll have to walk or run with a higer cadence than your friends to cover the same distance.

Whatever you do, approach exercise as fun rather than a chore. It will make it easier, especially at first, and over the long run you'll stick with it better.

Best of luck,
Tom
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:00:51 AM EDT
[#13]
CGN,
You've gotten some great advice here,I would if I were you, go get a physical,I started going to a local gym back in June of this year, I had been using some equiptment that my wife had, and was collecting dust, up until I joined the gym, A little backround here, I was in a auto accident in Dec 00, (I lost control of my pickup on black ice, and hit a semi,head-on,)I sustained some serious injuries,(I was recovering for 6 months) in March, my DR, suggested that I start excerising, I did, and later started going to a gym, It was the best thing I've ever done, I've lost about 40 lbs,(I used to weigh 240, now down to 197) feel much better, and despite my lack of a few body parts (ribs, spleen) I feel great,This also helped me upon my return to work, (I'm a pipefitter) picking objects up that had given me trouble before were not nearly as hard,and I didn't feel wore out at the end of the day as I had before, I'd recommend a gym 3 times a week to any one,it'll really help, it really helped me,Go for it!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For starters you must make changes in your lifestyle and diet.

If you do not feel like choosing the high protein/low carb/low fat food over the sugar,fat and calorie loaded triple cheeseburgers don't even bother to start.

Start reading about weight lifting and healthy diets regularly.No need to even buy magazines if money is tight.Check these websites [url]www.muscleandfitness.com[/url] and [url]www.musclemedia.com[/url] among others.

You can also do a search on this site using the keywords exercise,getting fit,getting in shape,etc) since we often discuss this issue here.

Oh yes,I know you want specifics,so here is my 2 cents.

IN ADDITION to doing the above:

Keep doing pushups and start doing pullups,chinups,crunches,and whatever type of aerobics you like(jogging,rope jumping,etc)

If after a short period you are committed to this (a lot of people buy equipment and let it gather dust) it is time to start going to a gym or buying some weights and using them.

Start slow and don't try to lift too much too soon.Gains in weight lifting last longer when they are achieved by building up slowly.

Let us know how you are doing in 4 weeks or so and we will give you specific workouts to follow.

Good luck
View Quote
i agree with you it takes comment i started with the body for life the 12 week programe it changed me i lost weight and gained energy and stenth and yes i still eat a high protein and low carb and fat,i go to the gym everyday i run and not get wended not as quick good luck start somewhere and keep going
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top