Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2001 7:29:53 AM EDT
I know this probably sounds corny and stupid, but after the friendly fire incident that killed the Army SF (Green Beret), that song has been going through my head for a couple of days, especially the part about the young wife back home, "Her Green Beret has met his fate".  Why I think of that part, I get choked up.  Am I being too sentimental?  I am a veteran, USN 1969-1973.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey LarryG, we're all touchy feely guys around here so don't be embarrassed.

Seriously, I've been thinking of them too. We had an 80+ y.o. lady come into the E.R. this evening, she coded at the dentist's office (of all places). After running code for three or four times, the Doc called it (pronounced her dead). Now, that seems alot more natural and so is easier for me to accept than "friendly fire" killing our guys over there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing wrong with that, Larry. I got a little choked up at the US flag that off the WTC during the world series. Just means you are a true patriot, especially since you served.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I am glad I am in the flag waving club!  I remember seeing John Wayne in the Green Berets and listening to that song when I was a kid. I have that song on my hard drive I will try to send it to you!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Same here
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Doe anyone have a link to an mp3 of the song?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I love that song, even Bill Murrays version in Caddyshack.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#8]
you can download the song off of morpheus at musiccity.com. i did and am keeping it on my hard drive to share.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#9]
"The Star Spangled Banner" chokes me up.  Every time.  Without fail.  (even before 9/11)
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree.  BTW, the song was written and initially performed by a man from Leadville, Colorado who is still remembered as a hell-raiser.

December 7, a day that will live in Infamy.

SRM
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#11]
No LARRYG,

Not corny, not stupid.
I still chew peoples a$$s for not shuttin' up and standing during the National Anthem.
I still get "misty eyed" during almost any patriotic song.
I outright cried during each game of the World Series, and at the football games that I have watched.
Heck, I even get torn up by the newer song..."Pvt Malone"..?

So, no. Keep the flag high. I feel for the service member and the families of those that die. Not just the ones from "friendly fire".

Lew
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#12]
The g-b guy on one of the interviews was cool......"we mourn for our losses...then go back to doing our jobs...it`s part of the deal".....we still live in the best country......period
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Taps ALWAYS does me in- as do most dirges played on uillean or (Scottish) bag pipes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#14]
The words to the "Green Beret" were written by Barry Sadler, a resident of Leadville.
BUT......the music, right down to the drum cadence in the background, is directly lifted from a WW2 German song called "Einhundert Männer und ein Befehl", "One Hundred Men and One Command Order".
The original was also somewhat of a sad song, about a soldier far from home, in some dusty wasteland, somewhat wistful, but duty bound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top