Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2001 12:31:48 PM EDT
$974 out the door,(christmas gift from mom, thanks MOM!) fits 18 long guns lots of room sweet! It's a teton series 6032 fire lined 555lbs. the peace of mind that came with it is worth 10 fold he amount.
Does anyone know if moisture is a prob. It's in my garage, and I need some lighting ides for the inside and advice on mounting the thing to the floor.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Garage isn't the best place but if that's all you got...  

Heat/Cold fluctuations are bad.  Think about a goldenrod inside.  Not sure how good it works with high fluctuations outside the safe.

Lighting inside, forget it.  Too expensive and usually not enough light.  Place a fluorescent work light right outside the door opening.  When you open the safe door, you have all the light you need.

Drill and bolt.  My safe is raised on a carpeted pedestal.  I didn't want the basement to flood and get in my safe.  You might want to raise it a little and then bolt it to the floor.

Finally, Congrats on your new safe.  It sure makes you feel that your 'babies' are 'safe'.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have can fit them, Rope lights can be used to light the inside of the safe.  got some a K-mart for about $5.  They rope part might be a little thick but can be flattened pretty easily (just not on a bulb).  You may want to get dessicant and a goldenrod, if the power goes out for extended times near you.  Otherwise goldenrod would probably be ok.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a big goldenrod for moisture.

If they are still made, some of those battery powered 6" push-on/push-off lights (you know).

Here's one on sale
[img]http://www.turners.com/engage/ads/12-06-01/amsec.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Chaingun, what stores is that add for?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I second rope lights.  Got ripped off at Home Depot tho - paid about $30 for them.  Now that the Christmas stuff is out, I saw a similar set for $7 at Wal-Mart.

They came with screw-in clips to hang the string with.  Not too compatible with the safe, so I bought some plastic guides (essentially, a 3 foot square tube with one side missing).  I used double-sided carpet tape to secure the guide to the safe walls, then just pushed the light strings into the guides.

The only "difficult" part is the automation.  As my safe is connected to my home alarm system, I have it turn the inside light on and off based on the status of the door contact.

Of course, you have to have power inside your safe as well (possibly easier said than done if it's already installed).
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Granite security 24 gun safe in my workroom inside the house.  I do not have a goldenrod or any kind of dessicant.  I have had the guns in the safe for 3 years now and I take them all out a couple of times a year to wipe down/clean them.  Does anyone really think that a goldenrod is required when the safe is in a climate controlled environment?  

Also I do not have mine bolted to the floor nor wall. If some Jacka$$ tries to move it I just want it to fall over on him and make said jacka$$ into a human pancake.  LOL

Those tube lights sound like a great idea though.. When you run a power wire into the safe how do you go about sealing up the hole while preserving the fireproofness?

P.S. although I'm sure truck freight for shipment would be expensive anywhere far away anyone local to the Dallas area that wants a good and inexpensive safe should check out Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine.  Thats where mine came from. It is a 24 gun 3/16" wall 1/4" door S&G combo lock UL listed fireproof safe with a very nice interior.  It weighs 790 pounds and only cost $600 on sale.  You can't beat that with a stick.. Oh yeah and lifetime warranty and if its in a fire you get a new safe and $15,000 coverage on the guns inside.  The warranty is transferrable one time so you can pass it down at least to your son or other worthy person.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
BALOO-
Feel better already, dont'cha?
I didn't realize how much not having my guns in a vault was bugging me until I finally bought my first one.
Felt like a weight was lifted off me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top