Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2001 6:42:50 PM EDT
right now on dateline. dog mauls little girl, dag is taken by animal control, for 8 days, returned to owner. its back tied up right where it was (backyard shared between dog owner and parents or girl attacked) dad of litle girl calls animal control over and over, nothing is done. its been 11 days, nothing is being done, he is being ignored. his daughter is a prisoner in her own house. he loaded his evil black rifle, and kills the animal. now on trial. this is a dateline interactive, so you can vote. i hope his trial is over, so i can see what happenes. IMHO, the dog needed to go. if it were my dog, i would have shot it myself. you just cant have a dog that does that to a little girl. she was maybe 6 y/o. what you guys think?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
was there a fence or a leash or something, was she throwing rocks at the dog, or taunting it, (kids do that, as stupid as it sounds to traunt a big mad dog)?????
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I like how they called it an "AUTOMATIC" rifle.. Cast your vote...

Later,
   hawkin
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
where is a .22 with subsonic ammo when you need one? althought the lack of barking might tip somone off when it shuts up
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#5]
the verdict is in. not gulity. and no. she didnt taunt the dog, she had petted it many times. it wasnt just a reaction bite. the dog "tossed her like a rag doll"
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
right now on dateline. dog mauls little girl, dag is taken by animal control, for 8 days, returned to owner. its back tied up right where it was (backyard shared between dog owner and parents or girl attacked) dad of litle girl calls animal control over and over, nothing is done. its been 11 days, nothing is being done, he is being ignored. his daughter is a prisoner in her own house. he loaded his evil black rifle, and kills the animal. now on trial. this is a dateline interactive, so you can vote. i hope his trial is over, so i can see what happenes. IMHO, the dog needed to go. if it were my dog, i would have shot it myself. you just cant have a dog that does that to a little girl. she was maybe 6 y/o. what you guys think?
View Quote

seeing as I own an "evil black dog' in most people's eyes. (full-blooded Rottweiller) I ask only about one part [b]its back tied up right where it was (backyard shared between dog owner and parents or girl attacked) [/b] if the dos was tied up, and in it's yard, not able to traverse into their yard while on the leash (chain, rope, whatever) then the shooter was in the wrong. If it was tied up when it attacked the girl the first time, the girl was in the wrong. if the dog was loose, (or had gotten loose) and attacked the girl in HER yard, the dog owner was in the wrong.

If, and it's a big IF, my dog ever attacked someone outside of MY yard, I would be very hard pressed to defend against putting her down...and I love my dog, and it would devistate my daughter. If someone went into my yard, or house, and was attacked by my dog.... you are wrong and I'll be damned if they do anything to my dog.

The shooter that shot the dog while it was tied in it's yard was wrong if that's the way it went down, and he'll give gunowners more of a bad name. IF the dog was loose again (if it was loose ing the first attack), and was in HIS yard after already having had his daughter mauled, then he could be defended.  It's just like drawing and firing with a CCW, if there is no immediate threat to you, you have no right to shoot. A tied up dog is not a threat. IMO.

No_Expert
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#7]
no_expert. i do know what you mean. i have evil dog/rifle too. my dog isnt so evil, but she could hurt someone. i think if she attacked someone like that, i would have to shoot her. i would rather do that then have her done by the vet, i dont know why. the whole thing is pretty skectchy, but as a gun/dog owner, i have to say, the guy didnt deserve 2 years in prison. also, the owner of the dog (old woman) picked the god up from animal control (it was in quarantine) and brought it home. she claimed she was having it put down the next day, but had no evidence. i would think she would have made an appointment when she took the dog home, if she really was just taking it for a last meal. not that this has any legal baring, but this woman was the kind that didnt seem like she really saw the whole picture. maybe like someone on judge judy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Parents need to control their kids just like dog owners need to control their animals.

My dog is a pet, but he also has a job to do. His job is to protect my property when he is home alone and to protect my wife and kid when I am away.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Just saw it, looks like he used his duty issue LE restricted M4 Carbine. He probably should have used a shotgun... Anyway it's just a damn dog and I would have done the same thing, Saved her the $ it would have cost to pay a vet too kill the stupid thing......
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#10]
He is lucky he was a cop, otherwise they would have nailed his ass.

I assume this was back east where nobody has a fence around your yard?

One thing I have learned from having moved out west- Fences are your Friends.

This cops legal bills cost more than buying some prefab readwood fence sections and splitting their adjoining propertys. So neither dog or kid could see each other much less get to each other.

If the dog got loose and ran around the ENDS of the fence- free shot!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You got that right. If some average Joe did the same thing he would have been the subject of a dynamic entry by SWAT, all of his firearms confiscated, and then be charged with possession of a "machinegun", discharging a firearm within city limits, possession of bomb making materials, etc. After that, then the media would take over the crucification by labeling Joe as an "anti-government right wing domestic terrorist".
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:25:37 AM EDT
[#12]
A dish of tasty antifreeze or fly bait would have worked just as well.

Maybe he was trying to send a more profound message though
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:36:26 AM EDT
[#13]
A dog mauls my child, kid's fault, dog's fault, nobody's fault, the dog dies.  PETA be damned.

Eddie
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#14]
When you have your own yard your dog can do whatever you want within that yard I personally think that people with dogs need to fence thier yard so the dog can have the whole yard to run around in and that leashing a dog to a tree or keeping it inside is sorta cruel but when you share a common area with neighbors you have to respect thier right to use that area too, taking the dog for walks to exercise and relive himself is one thing chaining him up in an open area is another and invites trouble if there are kids who share that area around. I agree there really is no diffrence between the breed and that rottys get shafted due to thier looks and peoples predisposition that they are attack dogs any breed can attack and in the case outlined above I cant belive that the animal control people gave the dog back without strong warnings that the dog would be taken if better care were not taken with the dog itself. Was this guy justified --hell yeah if one of my neighbors dogs got out and bit my daughter it would be lucky to live out the day --agian peta be dammed -- I love dogs and have had several but I have always taken care of them and made sure that the only person they might bite is a burglar or someone who attacked me or my one of my family in the yard. I hold human life to be above that of an animal though. Lately I have noticed a Kid walking two rotty puppies in my neighborhood this kid is like 80 lbs. and the rotwielers are getting bigger fast they are now about chest high to this kid and I can see he is starting to have some trouble controling them even though they are leashed --not a problem yet but in an area wher many small dogs and cats run loose as well as the prospect for turing corners and running smack into 4-5 deer this could create a loss of control situation  for the Kid so I went up the block and spoke with the father who told me the boy had gotten the dogs as a birthday gift about 8 months ago and yes the father had noticed that they were getting up there in size and had plans to take both the dogs and the kid to a local obedience school and have him start walking the dogs one at a time He seemed like a decent guy and concerned about the dogs and his son but also his neighbors as well and the welfare of all involved If more people handled things that way and were more respectful perhaps these situations would not devlop between neighbors --this whole thing is very unfortunate but I cannot blame this guy at all for shooting this dog.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

[b][blue]You are just one sick and twisted individual![/blue][/b] [pissed]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Dogs, like kids, need OBEDIANCE training...if the dog was properly socialized as a pup...and kidproofed this probably wouldnt have happend..if the dog had been properly agitated and trained on who to attack and under what circumstances this probably wouldnt have happend...too many lame owners out there...however for the neighbor to shoot a tied dog especially for a cop..does not look good imo...my guess he was pretty angry and that is understandable..good citizens dont take the law into their own hands...
regardless of their job titles...when they do ..then there is no law..however given the shared yard I would have probably done the same...Ive had one problem with my shepherd kept in a fenced in yard ..the neighbors kids used to throw rocks at her..and poke sticks through the fence at her as a pup..so thanks to them Ive had to watch her arround strange kids...the kids she knows arent a problem..(of course these kids father an ex-priest and school board member says they arent at fault....) Mother a sumo sized bon-bon addict keeps her kids diagnosed with ADH so she can keep them on Ritalin that way her fat ass doesnt have to leave the sofa too often (and if you have ever heard 450 lbs of sweaty celulite and lard peeled away from a large piece of naguahide... ...but thats another story...and now they have a dog..and its useless too.....
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#17]
All Cujo here REALLY needed was a proper Alpha male to show him who is boss, and Cujo would be a WONDERFUL pet.

But for my money, a 55 grain round in the head works JUST as well.

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You got that right. If some average Joe did the same thing he would have been the subject of a dynamic entry by SWAT, all of his firearms confiscated, and then be charged with possession of a "machinegun", discharging a firearm within city limits, possession of bomb making materials, etc. After that, then the media would take over the crucification by labeling Joe as an "anti-government right wing domestic terrorist".
View Quote

Yeah then again if he wasn't a cop would this story have been on a national new show??

The dog was chained to a tree in a "shared back yard". Apparently before the maulings the dog owner and the cop were friends, and the kids were allowed to play with or pet the dog. The dog mauled the little girl, who had to be pulled away from the dog by it's owner.

The dog had never behaved in this was before. The little girl was having a very tough time after being attacked, scared of more attacks, nightmares etc. The dog owner promised that the dog would be put down and they would never see it again right after the incident. Then the dog stayed chained up in the same spot over the weekend. On Monday it was picked up by animal control and held for several days to make sure it didn't have rabies. It was then returned to the owner, who put it back out in the yard on the chain......
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I keep 4 Rotties, and I have 11' fences around my backyard, (they are good jumpers, but can't get over these.) I see it as my job to both restrain my dogs from hurting innocent folks, and also to do my best to keep stupid people from being hurt by my dogs. You would be amazed at how many idiots have taunted my animals from the alley side of the fence. That's why I raised the fences, as the dogs would surely have cleared the 7 footers eventually.

But a communal backyard? With a 6 year old child able to wander in??? And a territorial dog *chained* out in it?? Utterly irresponsible.
It is the owner's responsibility to fence in and control the dog. If someone then violates the fenced area, and enters your yard on purpose, the dog is completely justified in it's actions. The fence also has to be child resistant, as kids tend to enter yards to retrieve frisbees and balls and such. Our 7' fences are double sided with pickets, to prevent climbing, and topped with 4 additional feet of rabbit wire mesh. I *know* what my dogs are capable of! And I realize what children are capable of.
I would never forgive myself if they injured an innocent child.
I blame the dog owner in this instance 100%.
She was not caring for that animal properly, if it was chained out, in a "shared back yard area", and had already mauled a child. Animal control was clearly negligent in this instance as well, to allow the animal to be returned to the same conditions.
The dog was doing what he thought was correct, guarding his yard, but the stupidity and neglect by his owner cost him his life.
And, btw, no animal should be chained.....if you can't provide a fence, you shouldn't even have a dog.

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Garrandman..Cujo..was a scared little boy's Stephen King fantasy....
a created myth.. a rabid dog is another matter... and a 357 with hollow points would do the trick...why use a rifle..
Hannah..you said it all...
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Garrandman..Cujo..was a scared little boy's Stephen King fantasy....
a created myth.. a rabid dog is another matter... and a 357 with hollow points would do the trick...why use a rifle..
View Quote

Rifle...pistol. Whatever. Heck use a Barrett .50 if ya want.

To me, once a grown dog ATTACKS someone, its too late. Grown Animals CANNOT be reformed. They don't have consciences. Put the dog down.

My $0.02

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#22]
G-man nice to know even you can be wrong sometimes...grown dogs can be reformed..but the question here is about a tied up dog's vicous attack on a little neighbor girl..a dog that had once been friendly.. "in a shared yard"..there is a lot of blame here..1. the owner 2. animal control 3. any authority that had knowledge and didnt act .. If my dog attacks anyone..Im probably gonna give her a treat..because she has been trained to do it under a certain set of circumstances...its her job...If she attacks a child she is dead meat..and my little girls heart will be broken so would my wifes and mine...( She found a lost 4 yr old neighbor kid and brought her home to the kids mom a few years back)..
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#23]
My dogs are quite capable of being as dangerous as a loaded gun.
They are, in fact, black assault dogs, (Kampfhunds)......right down to the short butt stock, bayonets out front, capability of switching to full auto, and on the 2 boys, even the pistol grip ;) The fact that they are big sweetie bears around friends and family doesn't diminish this for an instant, that their nature is territorial, and that they are quite capable of awesome destruction. They are very well trained, but they are also creatures of their breeding and instincts, and those are to protect their territory and family.
As with loaded guns, the responsibility lies with the owner.
If a 6 year old shoots herself with your loaded AR, it is *your* fault, not the AR's, and not the child's.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Garandman,

Contrary to popular belief, an old dog CAN be taught new tricks.

Just because a dog "bites" does not mean it is viscous.

To me, a dog that bites a child is different from a dog that attacks a child ( i.e. chases down, multiple bites, tosses victim in air, etc. )

If you have a own a dog and have a family you should check out this book:

"Jellybean versus Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde"    
by C.W. Meisterfeld

You will DEFINATELY have a different look on
dogs once you read it.

And it will put the "teach the dog who the REAL Alpha male scenario" into perspective.

You should go out and get it.  A must read if you love your dog and your family.

I had read EVERY training book around.  From the guy who trained the Great Danes for Disney's movies to all the other generic crap.

Mr. Meisterfeld putsa it all into perspective.

I encourage everyone to go to the library ( that is where I first found it ) or buy it from a bookstore.

USMC_LB

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Geez - whatever happened to bullion soaked sponges? Dried, of course. Spill alot of antifreeze jumping fences.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#27]
what's a "neibors dog"?  Are they vicious??
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Do we really need any more advice on "how to poison your neighbor's dog" here?
There are plenty of sick bastards out there, who, for whatever twisted personal reasons, want to hurt animals that are behind fences.
I have found bottles of pills tossed over the fence to mine, and questionable food items that I promptly removed.
I can only assume it is someone that either a.) doesn't like Rotties, or b.) wants to trespass on my property with his ass left intact.
If I ever catch them, the *least* of their worries will be my dogs.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Hannah, you are right, though I doubt that I or anyone else is posting anything that isnt common knowledge. But I dont want dead dogs anymore than anyone else. Entschuldigung.

By the way, dont shoot them, your response indicates premeditation.

Haben Sie Schwein
Alac

"Was der Bauer net kennt frisst er net."  
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just because a dog "bites" does not mean it is viscous.

To me, a dog that bites a child is different from a dog that attacks a child ( i.e. chases down, multiple bites, tosses victim in air, etc. )

View Quote

for those that didnt see the show, this was more than just a bite. muliple bites, and it sounded like the dog tried the "death shake" like dogs do to their toys and whatnot. it was definatly a viscous attack. and lastly, the dog was finilar to the dog. she would pet it on its chain on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"Was der Bauer net kennt frisst er net."  
View Quote

??  I took six years of German, and don't recognize the word "net".  Is this dialect, an ancient saying, or a Russian-German hybrid??

Also, isn't "frisst" used for animals eating something?  Whereas the (presumably human) farmer would "esst" something, nicht wahr?

Honestly curious.  Mein Deutsch is sehr rostig.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:19:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I took six years of German, and don't recognize the word "net".  Is this dialect, an ancient saying, or a Russian-German hybrid??

Also, isn't "frisst" used for animals eating something?  Whereas the (presumably human) farmer would "esst" something, nicht wahr?

Honestly curious.  Mein Deutsch is sehr rostig.
View Quote

Achmed:

colloquial usage, perhaps a dialect. If so, Id bet on either Schwäbisch or Bayrisch. My Oma and Opa originated from those areas. Doubt its Russian -  but perhaps it is as my other grandparents were from the East. As I picked it up from my grandparents Ive got something of a mish mah working.

But been to Europe quite a few times and I get by rather well; but I often have difficulties writing – my vocabulary exceeds my spelling by a good bit, so I may have it spelled incorrectly. I have the handicap of learning it orally.

Viele Gluck
Alac

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I had a co-worker who was in a similar situation:  He was at a party in some friend's back yard sharing a drink and smoke with someone.  Neighbor's dog gets loose, charges, jumps up and bites his earlobe nearly off.  Many stitches later, he approached the owner to pay the $75.00 ER fee.  He didn't threaten a lawsuit for the missing part of his ear, he just wanted to break even.  No dice.  
Solution:  He crushed up some aspirin and mixed it with some hamburger, then threw it over the fence.  Dead dog.  Clean. Simple. Quiet. Inexpensive.  Threat eliminated.

My take:  When a pet becomes a liability, it should be removed from the environment where it poses a risk.  Send it to a farm without children, have it put down, whatever.  There are too many friendly, non-biting pets in need of a good home to harbor a potential maimer.

Peace. Out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#35]
If the Dog attacked the Girl and subsequently the owner took no action, then killing the Dog was the proper solution.

My mom told me once about a dog she had as a kid. The dog chased a girl on a bike and the Girl fell off and skinned her knee. The Girl's parents considered it an attack. To avoid any problems, they moved the Dog to my Great-Grandfather (Her Grandpa)'s Cattle Ranch. They took action by removing the Dog and in that case whther or not it was an attack was questionable.

If the Dog attacked, then it was the responsibility of the owner to ensure it won't attack again. This is ensured by removing it from somewhere that it can attack. This can be moving it inside if you so choose, giving it away or selling it, or putting it to sleep.

Since the owner didn't take action, the Dog was still a threat. And, if the Dog was threatening, regardless of if he was chasing the girl the Dog was a danger. I agree 100% with capping the Dog.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#36]
The hell with the dog. If ANY dog bites my child whether they are taunting it or not, and this is the response from authorities, a 50 grain VMAX WILL be dispatched into the dogs skull.[kill]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The hell with the dog. If ANY dog bites my child whether they are taunting it or not, and this is the response from authorities, a 50 grain VMAX WILL be dispatched into the dogs skull.[kill]
View Quote

[:K]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top