Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2001 8:43:32 AM EDT
I am getting ready to request info on a couple of courses, but I have a few questions.  Are you supposed to take courses that you already know a lot about, so that you can test out of it; or do the books tell you everything you need to know?

Any info you can give me would be appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Basically it is to test knowledge you already have.  That way you dont have to sit through a 10 week course to prove your knowledge. There are general and subject exams. Only the subject exams are normally granted credits. The tests are pretty basic, might get you out of some survey classes, but not much more.

Some colleges award credits for CLEP, some dont. Check with your college to find out how its handled - they all dont award credit in the same way. You have to meet certain scores to receive credit. Sometimes a specific dept wont allow testing for credit, although other depts in the same college will.

Colleges dont like CLEP, it cheats them out of tuition, so you may have to push a bit to get info. Most larger colleges will have a CLEP Administrator, check with them.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It's all multiple choice so take as many as you can. You've got a good chance of passing most of them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I did take the "CLEP" test but it came back negative.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#4]
CLEP test? I had to take some CLAP tests after a few port calls. Whew. Man it still burns when i pee.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
CalGat, maybe that's the test I took that came back negative !
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Alright, I did take the CLEP.  
Walked into Admin after being a college freshman for two weeks and walked a second-quarter sophomore.
Take the tests.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#7]
After finishing the SNCOA I clep'ed a speech course.  Piece of cake.

Eddie
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Need to amend my post. Some colleges do credit for Generals as well. I Clep'd out of some surveys and prereqs, nowhere near walking out a Sophomore though. They only offered 4 or 5 tests that were applicable to my course of study. But for $50 a test sure beats $300 a credit.

But If you think you can meet the scores - as I said before colleges set differing scores, some are quite high - then do so. Im not sure if your working towards a degree or some military requirement.

Luck
Alac
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top