Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2001 11:44:46 AM EDT
I bought a DVD player and I have it hooked up to my JVC 120 watt mini system using the RCA outputs.  Anyway when I play cds using the dvd player they are MUCH louder than the systems built in cd changer.  Is this normal?  With the system at 50% volume it is nearly deafening while I would normally have to turn the player up to 80% to get the same amount of volume.  I don't think i have to worry about blowing the speakers since they match the reciever but at 75% volume it is downright scary.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen some DVD players advertised that allow you to plug speakers right into the unit.  This leads me to believe that some DVD players have integral amplifiers.  Is it at all possible that you have hooked up an amplified audio output from your DVD player to your JVC system input?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you complaining about?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You may have a output mismatch.
Professional AV equipment is usually 10db louder than consumer stuff. They do this because consumer stuff has poorer electronics, which they hide the signal to noise by making them quieter.
You might check out what Fatman said too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say that this is a question for "DVD_Tracker"...
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#5]
All it is the output level control.  It's the same as ejecting a cassette or CD from a car stereo and the radio is a LOT louder.  It just depends on how JVC set up the level of the inputs for your AUX input and the output of the CD player to you internal amplifier (which powers the speakers)  Unless they have an adjustment somewhere on your mini system, there is nothing you can do about it.  Sorry! [:(]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Because your too old!!! [:D][:P]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
You didn't plug it into the PHONO inputs, did you?  Make sure it's an AUX input.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]
You didn't plug it into the PHONO inputs, did you? Make sure it's an AUX input.
View Quote
nope that is an affirmative on the AUX input.  Just for comparisons sake I hooked up my N64 and it too was quite loud.  My player also has a source volume visualizer that shows the sound volume.  With the built in player it is usually in the middle while with AUX inputs it is always at or just below the peak.  I think it is just how the player deals with these inputs.  I shouldn't have to worry about blowing the speakers anyway.
I don't think it was an amplifeid source since it was the same volume as the N64 but thanks anyhow.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]
make sure you don't have an AMP OUT going into your AUX IN.  That's sending an amplified signal into an amplifier.  Check your CD player to see if there's a Level for the output.  Crank that puppy down a little.  

it's either your CD player is pumping a signal that's too strong, or your receiver is pumping it up too much.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
ok I just did it!  I worked up the courage to crank it to full volume!  I put on my ear muffs and cranked it up before I had a chance to change my mind.  The speakers did not blow up.
Although I thought my ears were going to bleed it still worked fine.  It couldn't have been an amplified signal then or the speakers would have blown right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top