Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:04:26 AM EDT
What purpose does the jacket over the compressor serve?

I have been having HVAC problems, and the tech that came out found that the jecket that was supposed to be on the compressor was just lying inside the unit and not over the compressor like it should be.  he also found where a mis-installed part had rubbed a hole in the coolant line, which is what caused me to have my problem.

He says that the compressor's lifespan has been severely reduced and that we should have it replaced.  It's still under warranty, but I'll have to pay a few hundred in labor.
Could he be full of it, or does what he's saying sound plausible?  What effect would the jacket not being installed have?
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#1]
It only helps when it is in the heating mode.  During the summer, removing it is beneficial.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It only helps when it is in the heating mode.  During the summer, removing it is beneficial.

So it's an insulator?  Could its absence damage the unit in any way?
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Does not pass the smell test.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I just spoke with the tech.  He said that the reason he wants to replace the compressor is because the leak was so close to the compressor that a lot of the oil has leaked out of the compressor.  Does oil travel in the coolant lines?
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes oil travels in the coolant lines and he could add more if he has the proper tools. Any time you open up a system you could be hurting the lifespan of the equipment, exspecialy if it is not properly done. The only real reason for a compressor blanket is for sound deadning.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#6]
He's full of shit.Yes there is oil in the system to lubricate the moving parts in the compressor.If you have a leak you just fix that and then add a little oil.There will be no sightglass to judge the oil level so he'll just have to guesstimate how much to add--probably just a few ounces.The blanket is for noise reduction.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#7]
If the system ran without pressure, then it could be damaged.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#8]
The compressor blanket is only on there to supress the noise level of the compressor.

There would have to be lot of oil out of the compressor for it to be done in.

A little oil looks like a lot.

How many more months/years of warranty do you have left?
If you are close to being out then have it replaced if not have him solder up the leak and see if it is still working.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It did.  All or almost all the coolant leaked out, and the system has run for at least 36 hours with no cooling effect.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How many more months/years of warranty do you have left?
If you are close to being out then have it replaced if not have him solder up the leak and see if it is still working.

It's a 3-year-old Carrier.  I forget the warranty.  I'll have to look it up.  I think it might have been ten years.

Turns out the blanket wasn't his concern.  I got that second-hand from my wife who was home when he came by.  She didn't tell me about the oil.  She thought he was worried because the blanket was off.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#11]
If you can get him to put the cost out of pocket to you in writing, getting a new compressor would be a good idea.  Once it has run out of coolant and oil, and is open to the environment, there is a very good chance of contaminants getting into the system.  With a new compressor install, they will purge the lines, or run new ones.  Pull a vacuum and test for leaks.  A few hundred in labor would be worth it in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you can get him to put the cost out of pocket to you in writing, getting a new compressor would be a good idea.  Once it has run out of coolant and oil, and is open to the environment, there is a very good chance of contaminants getting into the system.  With a new compressor install, they will purge the lines, or run new ones.  Pull a vacuum and test for leaks.  A few hundred in labor would be worth it in my opinion.  

He's bringing me a written quote in the morning.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1
Make sure they put a new filter dryer in it as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Make sure they put a new filter dryer in it as well.

He mentioned something to my wife about a new filter in the outside unit.  He may have said filter dryer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It did.  All or almost all the coolant leaked out, and the system has run for at least 36 hours with no cooling effect.

Just for future reference...When it stops cooling go ahead and turn it off.

It sounds like like started leaking slowly so it might not have ran that long without enough pressure to keep contaiminents out.

Tell him you want him to put a "Low pressure cut out" protection switch on it while he is in there. They cost him less than $15.00 and it would be great insurance.

If it is a Carrier HP I am surprised it doesn't already have one.

Have you called Carrier to see if there was some kind of recall that might involve the parts that were "installed" incorrectly?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#16]
The leak has to be found and repaired, accept nothing less. The refrigerant gas needs to be recovered and leak repaired / new filter drier installed. If the refrigerant leak was on the discharge ( high pressure) side the refrigerant can be reused.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top