Site Notices
9/2/2014 6:40:42 PM
9/2/2014 3:43:50 PM
9/2/2014 1:00:39 PM
Author
I'd rather be at the range.
Posted: 8/29/2008 12:04:26 PM
What purpose does the jacket over the compressor serve?

I have been having HVAC problems, and the tech that came out found that the jecket that was supposed to be on the compressor was just lying inside the unit and not over the compressor like it should be. he also found where a mis-installed part had rubbed a hole in the coolant line, which is what caused me to have my problem.

He says that the compressor's lifespan has been severely reduced and that we should have it replaced. It's still under warranty, but I'll have to pay a few hundred in labor.
Could he be full of it, or does what he's saying sound plausible? What effect would the jacket not being installed have?
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Keith_J
Veteran from Texas, Georgian by brotherhood
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 12:05:51 PM
It only helps when it is in the heating mode. During the summer, removing it is beneficial.
Peak oil happened shortly after Drake sunk his first well in Titusville PA...in 1858.
Hubbert was a Luddite geologist...or he had no concept of Moore's Law and how it applies to exploration and production.
Admiral_Crunch
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 12:11:25 PM

Originally Posted By Keith_J:
It only helps when it is in the heating mode. During the summer, removing it is beneficial.

So it's an insulator? Could its absence damage the unit in any way?
azsavage
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 12:13:34 PM
Does not pass the smell test.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin 1755
Admiral_Crunch
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 1:46:40 PM
[Last Edit: 8/29/2008 1:46:56 PM by Admiral_Crunch]
I just spoke with the tech. He said that the reason he wants to replace the compressor is because the leak was so close to the compressor that a lot of the oil has leaked out of the compressor. Does oil travel in the coolant lines?
metalman3006
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 1:53:48 PM
Yes oil travels in the coolant lines and he could add more if he has the proper tools. Any time you open up a system you could be hurting the lifespan of the equipment, exspecialy if it is not properly done. The only real reason for a compressor blanket is for sound deadning.
GreyGhost
The Original,Accept No Imitations
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 1:56:48 PM
[Last Edit: 8/29/2008 1:59:23 PM by GreyGhost]
He's full of shit.Yes there is oil in the system to lubricate the moving parts in the compressor.If you have a leak you just fix that and then add a little oil.There will be no sightglass to judge the oil level so he'll just have to guesstimate how much to add--probably just a few ounces.The blanket is for noise reduction.
I like you,so when I become Ruler of the World I'll make your death quick and painless.
Keith_J
Veteran from Texas, Georgian by brotherhood
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 1:59:40 PM
If the system ran without pressure, then it could be damaged.
Peak oil happened shortly after Drake sunk his first well in Titusville PA...in 1858.
Hubbert was a Luddite geologist...or he had no concept of Moore's Law and how it applies to exploration and production.
BigDozer66
O'er the land of the free & the home of the brave!
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 2:13:35 PM
The compressor blanket is only on there to supress the noise level of the compressor.

There would have to be lot of oil out of the compressor for it to be done in.

A little oil looks like a lot.

How many more months/years of warranty do you have left?
If you are close to being out then have it replaced if not have him solder up the leak and see if it is still working.

BigDozer66
"...One Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
“War, like most other things, is a science to be acquired and perfected by diligence, by perseverance, by time, and by practice.” Alexa
Admiral_Crunch
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 2:14:12 PM

It did. All or almost all the coolant leaked out, and the system has run for at least 36 hours with no cooling effect.
Admiral_Crunch
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 2:16:30 PM
[Last Edit: 8/29/2008 2:17:06 PM by Admiral_Crunch]

Originally Posted By BigDozer66:
How many more months/years of warranty do you have left?
If you are close to being out then have it replaced if not have him solder up the leak and see if it is still working.

It's a 3-year-old Carrier. I forget the warranty. I'll have to look it up. I think it might have been ten years.

Turns out the blanket wasn't his concern. I got that second-hand from my wife who was home when he came by. She didn't tell me about the oil. She thought he was worried because the blanket was off.
blurted
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 2:19:38 PM
If you can get him to put the cost out of pocket to you in writing, getting a new compressor would be a good idea. Once it has run out of coolant and oil, and is open to the environment, there is a very good chance of contaminants getting into the system. With a new compressor install, they will purge the lines, or run new ones. Pull a vacuum and test for leaks. A few hundred in labor would be worth it in my opinion.
Admiral_Crunch
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 2:59:19 PM

Originally Posted By blurted:
If you can get him to put the cost out of pocket to you in writing, getting a new compressor would be a good idea. Once it has run out of coolant and oil, and is open to the environment, there is a very good chance of contaminants getting into the system. With a new compressor install, they will purge the lines, or run new ones. Pull a vacuum and test for leaks. A few hundred in labor would be worth it in my opinion.

He's bringing me a written quote in the morning.
sleevefullofaces
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 3:55:49 PM

+1
Make sure they put a new filter dryer in it as well.
"We're not in the habit of going to homes and shooting peoples' dogs," Ellis said. "If we were, there would be a lot more dead dogs around the county."
Admiral_Crunch
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 4:04:38 PM

Originally Posted By sleevefullofaces:

+1
Make sure they put a new filter dryer in it as well.

He mentioned something to my wife about a new filter in the outside unit. He may have said filter dryer.
BigDozer66
O'er the land of the free & the home of the brave!
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 5:26:09 PM

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

It did. All or almost all the coolant leaked out, and the system has run for at least 36 hours with no cooling effect.

Just for future reference...When it stops cooling go ahead and turn it off.

It sounds like like started leaking slowly so it might not have ran that long without enough pressure to keep contaiminents out.

Tell him you want him to put a "Low pressure cut out" protection switch on it while he is in there. They cost him less than $15.00 and it would be great insurance.

If it is a Carrier HP I am surprised it doesn't already have one.

Have you called Carrier to see if there was some kind of recall that might involve the parts that were "installed" incorrectly?

BigDozer66
"...One Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
“War, like most other things, is a science to be acquired and perfected by diligence, by perseverance, by time, and by practice.” Alexa
clutchsmoke
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/29/2008 5:31:26 PM
The leak has to be found and repaired, accept nothing less. The refrigerant gas needs to be recovered and leak repaired / new filter drier installed. If the refrigerant leak was on the discharge ( high pressure) side the refrigerant can be reused.