Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 7:45:10 PM EDT
[b]"Here "it" is: the inside story of the secret invention that so many are buzzing about. Could this thing really change the world?"[/b]

[url]http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,186660,00.html[/url]

My question is.......how can I carry my Ar and all my gear to the range on this silly thing??

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#1]
All this hype for that thing?
$100 million to develop the next razor scooter thing.  

We'll, I can't say he's stupid.  If he goes public, people will buy the stock like crazy because of all of the hype, then he can cash out his shares, and retire while the stock crashes to $0.50.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Baloney. I waited all year to see a jetpack you strap on your back, or an Anti-Gravity harness.

This is the 21st Century--Where's Chewbaca?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, and I'm going to freeze my but off when its snowing out to hop on my new fangled scooter to go to work....um....NO!

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I am completely under whelmed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Exactly HOW does it work?
View Quote

It doesn't work.  It's just an electric scooter with a gyro to sense its orientation.  Why does it need 3 PC's worth of electronics(which probably use more power than the motor) to calculate how much to accelerate forward or backwards to re-level itself?
How long does the battery last? What do you do with it when you reach your destination(i.e. keep it from being stolen)?  How heavy is it(Is it easy for a woman or kid to lift it out of a car)?  How steep of a hill can it traverse safely?  Can it climb a curb?  Will it work well on brick or cobblestone walkways?
How could a mailman or ups guy use it and haul around all of their parcels?  Only online CD stores, bookstores, and video game stores could use them in their stock room because all other companies have much larger/heavier products to be moved often enough to make "it" too much of a hassle to use.  Also, more of the places with small products only already use roller blades, which allow you to have both hands free to carry items.

This is gonna bomb big time.  It is too expensive to be a novelty item like the little motorized razor scooter things I see yuppies using.  Way too expensive for kids.  Too risky for elderly people(i.e. replacing rascals).  If they fall they would sue for the segway company to replace their newly broken hip joint.

He spent $100 million dollars to make a toy for adults, and not a very good one at that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
There may be a market for it -- the article mentions targeting delivery companies initially, such as the USPS and FedEx.  At least for the USPS, if this thing is significantly faster than walking, it may reduce delivery times and allow the USPS to operate more efficiently.  Especially if it can handle curbs.  Running on electricity is also good.

That said, I don't anticipate it as being better than the battery-powered scooters that cost a couple of hundred bucks.  Until I get to try one in person, there's not much point in commenting further.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Neat.

[img]http://graphics.nytimes.com/images/2001/12/02/technology/03THIN.1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know Gunman0 I am sure all those are questions that have been asked and answered or will be.  It sounds pricey for what it is but in heavy urban areas it sounds like it would be fitting.  I don't know if you read the entire article (I am sure you did from the length response) but this guy seems to have alot of achievements.  While I am sure he has had his failures it is hard to find many inventors that actual invent shit anymore.  We'll have to wait and see but I am sure we'll hear alot about it now.

Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought it'd be powered by a Stirling engine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I thought it'd be powered by a Stirling engine.
View Quote

That's what I heard too.  The Stirling engine was supposed to be the "big deal", not the scooter.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn that moron! I was hoping it was a womenz maker machine like in "Wierd Science". What the hell am I going to do now?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Developed in Silicon Valley to work in Silicon Valley.  One New York pothole will swallow it right up.  The curbs on normal streets will tip it right over unless you stop & pick it up.  How are normal people going to react when some ass can't go fast enough on a sidewalk with other people on it?  The first time some tailgating yuppie runs over another pedestrian the company will get sued into oblivion.

I see a quick rise and a quicker downfall.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I bet this "IT" is not even the real "IT" it is distractionary. They are secretly bringing out of hiding and covertly crushing those who have been holding it back...The Sub-MoA shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#18]
$3000!  Well, that price tag just relegated this product to "rich folk's toy" considering that it is almost useless aside from obvious recreational puruits.  Give me a good old ten speed, I'll be fine with that.  I'll pocket $2 to $2.5K...and get some excersize doing it!

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the potential is much greater than you fellows realize.  Consider this:

America is getting older and the Segway appears to be the perfect vehicle for senior citizens.  When the AARP gets Medicare to pay for these things, the company will sell millions.  

Plus, the same basic technology can be used to make all the clumsy "walking" robots obsolete.  Put a head and a couple of arms on the Segway and you've got a robot that can actually move around and do things.  

When you see a video of one climbing stairs you'll be converted.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#20]
After seeing the Segway on TV, I think I would rather have the machine from SouthPark.  Even with the anal probe, it would still be better than the airlines.  When they make a Segway that goes 155mph like my motorcycle, I might think about getting one.  It will be interesting to see what inventions spring from Segway.  I will bet somebody finds a way to use it for something totally unexpected that would really piss Kamen off.

I found this quote from the Time article.  I bust out laughing.
If we have police and mail carriers riding on the sidewalks for a year, how is anyone in government going to say, 'It's O.K. for us but not O.K. for you'?"
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
America is getting older and the Segway appears to be the perfect vehicle for senior citizens.  When the AARP gets Medicare to pay for these things, the company will sell millions
View Quote

Except for the fact that many elderly folk have trouble standing for very long.  They already have motorized scooters with seats that the old people can sit on.  Why is this any better?  The market is already saturated.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#22]
It sucks!
Just envision how every lazy fat ass is going to buy one only to become too heavy to use it anymore.

Disappointed it wasn't something truly revolutionary.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#23]
My Puch Moped will kick that things ass any day.

Remember the Honda Aero 50's?

ARSwami
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
America is getting older and the Segway appears to be the perfect vehicle for senior citizens.  When the AARP gets Medicare to pay for these things, the company will sell millions
View Quote

Except for the fact that many elderly folk have trouble standing for very long.  They already have motorized scooters with seats that the old people can sit on.  Why is this any better?  The market is already saturated.
View Quote

It wouldn't be for the seriously disabled.  The market would be those old folks who can walk but normally use a cane or a walker.  And they wouldn't be using it to make long trips.  The idea is that you hop on your segway and zip around your neighborhood, not from town to town.

Advantages over a conventional scooter:
1) Faster
2) Easier to mount and dismount
3) Smaller "footprint"
4) Better mobility over and around obstacles
5) Better visibility for the operator
6) Much easier to get in and out of a car or van

I would like to see how it's supposed to handle small cargo loads like a couple of bags of groceries.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Have you guys been to the website?

[url]http://www.segway.com[/url]

I am really intrigued by this and have been blown away by the coolness factor of this. I think it has more application than many believe and am frankly very surprised that it has been so poorly accepted (i.e. posts read from assweb.net, ak.net, and here).

Shawn
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Put these shmucks that are poo pooing the Segway back in time 90 years ago and they would be saying the same thing about that new fangled flying machine. 20 years ago it was computers that would never be of use to the common man.

Back into your caves Neanderthals! It's just fire, don't be scared!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#27]
But where is the gun rack?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#28]
So what!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Put these shmucks that are poo pooing the Segway back in time 90 years ago and they would be saying the same thing about that new fangled flying machine. 20 years ago it was computers that would never be of use to the common man.

Back into your caves Neanderthals! It's just fire, don't be scared!
View Quote

So are you ready to drop 3 grand for this thing? This is whats going to "revolutionize life as we know it"? Give me a friggin break.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Gotta love the helmet.  Proabably the only reason he' wearing it is to try to fool us into thinking its faster than it really is.

I really don't see the utility of this "invention".  It isn't light enough to be carried but isn't heavy enough to be secured on its own.  It will work like a bike but cost ten times as much and not provide any exercise.  No carrying capacity or rain protection.  THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS.  Give me a break.  This one will be at Sharper Image before you know it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Developed in Silicon Valley to work in Silicon Valley. One New York pothole will swallow it right up.
View Quote
You haven't seen our roads....
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#33]
3 grand for  a frggin' scooter? What a joke! I remember last spring this guy was saying that "cities will need to be redesigned" and it's "one of the most important events in human history" [rolleyes] It's little more than a yuppie toy. I'd rather have a moped.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm going to accuse most all of you of being extremely short-sighted about it. Spin-off technology could be phenomenal.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Unless it will accept a 30 round mag, I'll pass
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I think the technology used will eventually be applied to something more useful, but until then I'll stick with my schwin mesa gsx alum frame mt. bike.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Scenario #1  I wanna take your typical congested urban main street at mid-morning, then take 10% of the solo drivers and 10% of the pedestrians and put them on this machine out there with the rest of the foot and vehicle traffic, on the sidewalk and on the street.  Let's see what happens.

Scenario #2
The couriers. Downtown again.  20 on bikes, 20 on "IT".  John Henry, anyone?

My prediction is non-adoption.  Who's going to pay $3,000 to put a low-earning young person on "IT" when they don't have to?  The production (deliveries) would have to multiply a lot to justify it.  There will be hidden costs, like liability insurance and theft/collision protection.

Scenario #3  Airport concourse.  DFW. Hmmm.  Someone would have to handle logistics to equalize position with demand.

Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Anyone remember what the original "automobiles" looked like?

Think of the future........
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:43:25 AM EDT
[#39]
OMG! "IT" IS HERE. I GOTTA HAVE ONE AND TEN FOR MY FRIENDS.

Don't laugh, some moron is thinking exactly along those lines.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:45:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:34:50 AM EDT
[#41]
The hype that preceded "it" was created by the news media, not the manufacturer.  This thing has had a smaller promotional budget than a lot of bad movies.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I want to get one to ride around at fun shows.
I could block entire aisles by myself and run over the backs of countless ankles!

Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I am not too impressed....appears to be another device to let people become more lazy!

just my 2 cents

medcop
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top