Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2001 10:04:26 AM EDT
Plan on speaking with judge next week but am interested in opinions. To be honest, I am somewhat reluctant to do so but don't see how I have a choice. Here's the story (You can skip to last paragraph for actual dilemna):

Lucky me, I get chosen for only jury trial this month in my county. Out of 30 prospective jurors, no less. Day will probably cost me about $800. Anyway, case is over divorced couple with child. Old husband charged with disturbing/disorderly for waking new husband with cycle and horn. Wife is County Sherriff dept employee and 9 days after fact she talks to city cop and a citation is written. A complaint was made after the event, however.
Guy on bike says he wasn't there. ID by hubby#2 is a little questionable. Jurors all say prosecution didn't prove case but find him guilty anyway. I am lone dissentor(big fucking surprise). Guy does seem to be going out of the way to make a nuisance of himself.

Problem is prior to hearing case the bailiffs take us to the jury room. "Bailiffs" are elderly couple who have worked several different places in similar courtroom settings, they tell us. Woman says she was involved in the "Burning Bed" case. The guy brutalized her, she says. He deserved everything he got. She tried to get away numerous times. They should do something to stop these people, etc,etc,etc. The longer she goes on the closer the female jurors gather around her. Bailiff leaves with big smile on face. My impression is that these "bailiffs" are professional busybodys. I really do not want to be the one to open this Pandora's Box but don't really see any option. Further, this whole case is merely a prelude to family court bullshit, possible restraining order, visitation rights battle, etc. What do you think?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Complain to the judge and the defendent's lawyer about those idiots!
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Jeeze, when I was on jury duty, the judge we got would've had their ass in a sling for that!  A real by-the-book type of guy... I say tell the judge, and hopefully you didn't get another Lance Ito(sp?).
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Jeeze, when I was on jury duty, the judge we got would've had their ass in a sling for that!  A real by-the-book type of guy... I say tell the judge, and hopefully you didn't get another Lance Ito(sp?).
View Quote

Small town in fairly remote area. The usual rules do not apply, believe me. Judge seems like a straight up guy and I think he'll be pretty pissed off to here this, though. I'm just not happy being the bearer. The last thing I want to do is piss off the only judge in my county. I have already decided to speak to him, though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Judge seems like a straight up guy.
View Quote

Pass him an anonymous note. Then he will discuss it with the entire jury and maybe another juror will jump in and be the asshole instead of you. If that doesn't work, gauge his reaction to the situation before deciding to say something. If you cant blow the whistle without putting your own ass on the line, just let it go. There is always next week for the bailiffs. Their day will come.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]
If the judge seems inclined to let things slide, inform the defendant's attorney. He/she would be more aware of whether "The usual rules do not apply"!
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Defendant represented himself. Big mistake by the way. In the long run I really doubt whether he saved himself any money.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Defendant represented himself. Big mistake by the way. In the long run I really doubt whether he saved himself any money.
View Quote

He still deserves his (fair) day in court. He may be a dumbass but we still woke up in America this morning! What is going on with his case is not right and probably illegal as hell.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He still deserves his (fair) day in court. He may be a dumbass but we still woke up in America this morning! What is going on with his case is not right and probably illegal as hell.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I was going to say it was jury nullification, but since the bailiffs who are agents of the court were influencing the jury I would say mistrial also.

I ain't no lawyer and have absolutely no desire to become one either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top