User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2008 4:45:03 PM EDT
Refugee Program Halted As DNA Tests Show Fraud
Thousands in Africa Lied about Families To Gain U.S. Entry
By MIRIAM JORDAN
August 20, 2008
Associated Press  
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121919647430755373.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
The State Department has suspended a humanitarian program to reunite thousands of African refugees with relatives in the U.S. after unprecedented DNA testing by the government revealed widespread fraud.

The freeze affects refugees in Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, Guinea and Ghana, many of whom have been waiting years to emigrate. The State Department says it began DNA testing with a pilot program launched in February to verify blood ties among African refugees. Tests found some applicants lied about belonging to the same family to gain a better chance at legal entry.

The U.S. has responded by halting refugee arrivals from East Africa, where hundreds of thousands of people have been stranded in precarious conditions since civil war erupted in the early 1990s. The temporary suspension has generated panic in African communities in the U.S., where thousands wait to be joined by relatives.

Typically, a refugee already living in the U.S., a so-called anchor, is entitled to apply for permission to bring a spouse, minor children, parents and siblings. The process requires interviews, medical examinations and security screening.

But suspicion has grown in recent years that unrelated Africans were posing as family members to gain entry. "This program is designed for people to reunify with family members" already in the U.S., says Barbara Strack, director of the refugee division at U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services. "We wanted to have empirical data" to confirm suspected fraud, she says.

In February, the State Department launched pilot testing in Kenya to verify family relationships, mainly among Somalis. When applicants arrived for a previously scheduled appointment, a U.S. official asked them to volunteer for a DNA test.

An expert then swabbed the cheek of those who claimed biological relationships, such as a mother and her purported children.

The cell samples were sent to labs in the U.S. for analysis.

As word spread, some applicants began missing appointments, and others refused to cooperate.

Laboratory analysis of the samples indicated a large portion of applicants weren't blood relations, as they claimed. "The results were dismaying," says Ms. Strack. "This told us we had a problem with the program."

The results prompted expansion of the testing to other countries. "We had high rates of fraud everywhere, except the Ivory Coast," says a State Department official.

In late April, the government decided to temporarily halt the family reunification resettlement program for East Africans. A government official confirms that "many thousands of people" are affected by the suspension, particularly Somalis and Ethiopians.

Refugee resettlement agencies report that arrivals have slowed to a trickle.

In Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minn., home to the country's largest East African population, Catholic Charities hasn't handled a single family reunification case since March 19. The agency has resettled 35 East African families this year, compared with more than 450 last year and about 1,300 in 2006. "Everyone is calling or walking in here and asking what is going on," says Angela Fox, a resettlement worker at Catholic Charities.

Some refugees received a notice from U.S. authorities advising them that their case is on hold because relatives didn't show up for a scheduled interview or they refused to supply a DNA sample.

Those who agreed to take the test are also in limbo.

Abdirahman Dhunkal, who hails from Somalia, petitioned in early 2005 for his father, mother and six siblings who are in Kenya to join him in Minnesota.

Their case was approved in late 2006, but Mr. Dhunkal says that his family was asked to take a DNA test earlier this year. Since the cell samples were collected, "nothing has happened. We are still waiting," says Mr. Dhunkal, 31, who hasn't seen his family in 14 years.

The government testing has raised questions about using DNA as an immigration tool.

"No one condones people gaining entry by false means; the integrity of the program must be ensured," says Bob Carey, chair of Refugee Council USA, a coalition of U.S. agencies that work on refugee issues, and vice president of resettlement for the International Rescue Committee. However, he adds, "DNA is not the only means to assess family relationships."

Refugee advocates say the definition of family among Africans extends beyond blood relatives, especially when families fleeing persecution are scattered. "Some families are raising children who aren't their own but whom they call son or daughter," says Ms. Fox of Catholic Charities.

Refugee slots are precious. The world's uprooted people are estimated to number 37 million; only about 1% are resettled. As the largest recipient, the U.S. absorbs about half of all refugees who are resettled.

Such demand "creates an incentive to get past the system," says Ralston H. Deffenbaugh Jr., president of Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services. "Desperation makes people more susceptible to abuse or bribery."

To be approved as a refugee, an applicant must establish that he or she has suffered persecution or has a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, creed or origin.

Between Oct. 1, 2007, and Aug. 13 of this year, the U.S. admitted 45,644 refugees. For the fiscal year ending Sept. 30, 2008, the Bush administration set a ceiling for African refugees at 16,000. But by Aug. 13, only 6,780 Africans had been admitted.

Family unity has long been a pillar of U.S. refugee admissions, with relatives accorded priority. U.S. officials say the government must balance a need to ensure the integrity of the program with the desire to let in vulnerable refugees.

The government hasn't decided whether to expand testing to compare the DNA of relatives in the U.S. with those abroad to verify kinship.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine is some sort of immigration officer with DHS and works on asylum cases and such.  She has amazing stories of people (mostly women) applying to have so and so relative allowed here and then when she checks into it, it turns out it was an arranged marriage, the dude beat the hell out of her, stole her parents' money, divorced her and then left her penniless with multiple children.  My friend will tell them "you know, you don't have to bring them here" and they'll be like "really?"

We really should have higher standards for who we let into this country.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
African scam artists, that is just down right unpossible.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know if this program came with FEMA card (think Katrina) like immigration bonuses?
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Nice racist code talk there
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#6]
shocked, I tell you shocked

Fraud in immigration

I can't imagine.

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#7]
We, the most generous country in the entrie world, develope a humain program to reunite families torn apart by crisis and then are suprised when people tae advantage of us?

Fuck them.

Yes, we need to have better standards of who we accept.

Not racists at all. We are doing them a favor. We do not need them.

Fuck them.

Ban all immigration from Africa and let it sink.

Fuck Them!
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#8]
So they will have to stay in Africa and continue selling ANUS computers and "hammer of dead".
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#9]
MIGERIA, PLEASE!
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Fukum, hammer of the dead the lying cheats.

They should have been doing this YEARS ago, who of thunk that people would lie to get into the US of A?
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah because liars, crooks and cheats should be welcomed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

where do you see racism?....the post i read didn't show any...
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Anyone know if this program came with FEMA card (think Katrina) like immigration bonuses?

Yes, but they're willing to share their new wealth with you.

See?

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is it "racist?"  I'm simply saying that the inscription on the Statue of Liberty doesn't say "give me your criminal, cheating, scamming, abusive, psychopathic rejects."  That's not related to any particular races or ethnicities.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Stop all entry until the problems wit fraud are fixed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Refugee advocates say the definition of family among Africans extends beyond blood relatives, especially when families fleeing persecution are scattered. "Some families are raising children who aren't their own but whom they call son or daughter," says Ms. Fox of Catholic Charities.

AAAAAAAAAhahahahahahahahaha!

Fuck you, Ms. Fox. If they want to use the "African definition," they can stay in Africa. Here in America, we use the American definition.

I don't think most Americans have a problem if they are just bringing over minor children (even if they're not blood), but this bullshit about unrelated adults has got to stop.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We, the most generous country in the entrie world, develope a humain program to reunite families torn apart by crisis and then are suprised when people tae advantage of us?

Fuck them.

Yes, we need to have better standards of who we accept.

Not racists at all. We are doing them a favor. We do not need them.

Fuck them.

Ban all immigration from Africa and let it sink.

Fuck Them!

+100  However, I believe in equal opportunity!  Therefore, Fuckem' All!  Let people come into this country that can and will contribute and that we actually need!!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#18]
What the fuck are we doing this shit for??

We are the 3rd most populated nation in the world behind China and India, where in the hell are we going to put all these extra people?

We are having enough problems taking care of are own.

This is bullsit and it's got to stop!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is it "racist?"  I'm simply saying that the inscription on the Statue of Liberty doesn't say "give me your criminal, cheating, scamming, abusive, psychopathic rejects."  That's not related to any particular races or ethnicities.

Here's a tip: log off arfcom and read a book. ETA: nevermind

When we look at the lax state of American immigration regulation when compared against just about every other country out there, it's purely ridiculous.  

Times like these make me long for Australian immigration law.  While it might not be the most PC way of going about things, they won't let worthless non-hackers in, and they jail illegals in prison camps until repatriation or acceptance of refugee status.  They don't take any shit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't think this goes far enough, every immigrant claiming entry via blood-relative should be required to take a DNA test. If the people on the US side are not blood -relatives of those who are seeking entry, they should be arrested for fruad and any other violation that  they might have committed.

If the people here in the US seeking to bring someone have committed fraud and not yet recieved citizenship, they should have their Green Card revoke and immediately shipped home. The people who are in Africa (or where ever) should be placed in the system and banned from entry or citizenship.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Let everyone from africa who want to, come to America.

Train them to be soldiers.  Build 10 divisions of the "Afrique Libertie" Corps.

Send 'em back to Africa to take names and kick ass.  Tripoli to Johhanasburg.

Divide the whole continent into appropriately sized farms for the combat veterans.

Accept applications for  American statehood in 5-12 years.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What the fuck are we doing this shit for??

We are the 3rd most populated nation in the world behind China and India, where in the hell are we going to put all these extra people?

We are having enough problems taking care of are own.

This is bullsit and it's got to stop!!

I agree with you but sadly some don't.

I look around and see too many people crowded into too few places. During my daily commute I see too many people trying to squeeze through too few roads and highways. Power grids are overloaded and will fail without upgrades but we continue to build more housing, more communities, and bring in more people who would require more. My kids tell me of too many kids in school and too few resources, especially English as second language students who absorb an unprecidented and out of proportion amount of resources compared to their numbers. I see the problems with urban sprawl and realize it will only continue to skyrocket out of control as long as we continue to allow uncontrolled immigration into our nation, both legal and illegal. Water will not liely be an issue in Ohio, but I hear it's a huge nasty mess out west and will only get worse. We complain about the amount of gasoline we use but continue to bring in more people by the metric ton.

Some of our short sighted freinds will tell you that I am a modern chicken little crying "The sky is falling" every day. They tell you that we have plenty of room and more. That we should be ashamed that our greed prevents us from seeing the truth. That we desperately need new people to fuel our consumer economy. That we desperately need more people in order to expand stagnant marets within our borders. That we desperately need more people to fill jobs that go wanting for workers and that our economy is on a downward plunge towards the bottom as our competing nations rocket towards the stratosphere. They say that our way of life will end within our lifetime if we don't bring them in and stack them deep and high.

I'm here to say that the people that are coming here are NOT like the people of old. They are not hard working, intelligent, and wanting to WORK for a better life. I'm here to say that people don't settle into empty areas and go without the luxeries that our blood, sweat, and tears have paid for. I'm here to tell you that they are here to take advantage of our generosity, our giving nature, and of the programs we have set up to help those in need. I'm here to tell you that they are not here to becom Americans, but to become dependents of Americans who cling to their culture and create conclaves within our borders that we are not wanted nor welcomed.

Over population is real.

It causes problems.

We are suffering from those problems.

We need to do something about it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#23]
The people coming here want to be poor and fat, not poor and starving. We are being scammed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck you, Ms. Fox. If they want to use the "African definition," they can stay in Africa. Here in America, we use the American definition.

I don't think most Americans have a problem if they are just bringing over minor children (even if they're not blood), but this bullshit about unrelated adults has got to stop.

I do, if it is not their flesh and blood, they have no right to be allowed in, kids or not.

We got into the mess we are in now because we kept allowing the rules to be bent and twisted.
You don't think more then a few million scammers and liars know how to play the game? Start playing what you suggest and you'd see "marriages of convenience" go thru the roof even higher then they are now, especially if there was no way to prove they were not "related by marriage" by using testing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it wasn't just by blood then "bad guys" would start PAYING them to import kids......to sell
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top