Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2001 3:14:37 PM EDT
Hey guys! I just acquired an AR-15 which is a pre-ban Essential Arms (DPMS). The lower was apparently ground down so that someone who probably had a drop in auto sear could get the selector to turn to full auto. It does not have a hole drilled which I know would be a no-no, but is the fact that it was ground down to bare metal in 4 spots 90 degrees apart around the safety pose any problem? Also, the barrel is 14" with a 5" CAR type supressor on it which LOOKS like you may be able to unscrew it. (DPMS said it is probably pinned) Am I ok with a non-pinned
supressor if indeed it is not pinned? Any advice would be appreciated as I want to stay within the realm of the law.
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Milling the selector stops off is fine. That in itself is not part of an FA conversion.

If it is not pinned, then you have a theoretical problem. This problem will stay theoretical until the IF & WHEN happens and someone needs a federal stick to beat you with. (sub 16" barrel is a federal offense unless you have an SBR or legal FA)
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Have a competent gunsmith examine the barrel- they should be able to tell if it's pinned.  If not, have them pin it- it's a simple procedure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top