Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2001 9:19:13 AM EDT
You dont mess with the po-po in the city!
c-rock

'
Detective charged in pistol-whipping

November 30, 2001

BY FRANK MAIN CRIME REPORTER

A Chicago detective faces felony charges that she pistol-whipped a 23-year-old man outside a South Side liquor store and fired her gun during a fight involving her son--a convicted felon, prosecutors said Thursday.

Darlene Capers, an 11-year veteran of the department, showed up at a fight between Reginald Matthews and her son, John Capers, Saturday night at Simpson's Liquors & Lounge in the 2600 block of East 83rd, police said.

Matthews told police that a group including John Capers attacked him outside the store.

John Capers grabbed Matthews around the chest, and Darlene Capers pointed her .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol at his face and struck him on the head with the gun, Matthews told investigators.

When he screamed for someone to call the police, Darlene Capers said: "I am the police," prosecutors said.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-cop30.html

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#1]
An 11 year veteran, no less.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Pistol Whipping is a lost art, you just dont see much of it anymore. Of course polymer frame semiautos wont work as well as a big heavy wheelgun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Pistol Whipping is a lost art, you just dont see much of it anymore. Of course polymer frame semiautos wont work as well as a big heavy wheelgun.
View Quote

Now, Now,  you forgot to specify that the big heavy wheelgun should also have an [i]ejector shroud[/i] to be fully functional!  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

LMAO.  You are a trip.  

Don't worry, most Chicago old timer cops have not lost that art, some will say they even refined it.
c-rock
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh no, you haven't seen the frickin' boat rudder looking front sight on my USP Tactical, have you? Now that thing was [b]made[/b] for pistol whippin'!
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone really care about those Mau-Mau's! Let them kill off each other.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know your trying to be humorous, and you are by the way but you are also correct. When I started in this line of work. The "lost art" of the pistol whip was not so lost, nor was the black jack, sap gloves, "tune ups" aka "attitude adjustments" aka "beat and release" in out of the way places and many other old time "law enforcement" tools in the bag.  Many of the "old school" crooks would rather get roughed up and released with a warning rather than go to jail, police administrators, politicians, attorneys, judges et al looked the other way because it "stream lined" the judicial system , didn't fill up the jails and bog down the courts. It in other words, saved time and money. A major part of being a patrol officer was intimidation, the "bad guys" were afraid of us which translated into "respect" for the law and police officers in general. These "law enforcement methods" were reserved for the "repeat offenders" that all cops get to know by face and name and get to know them so well that we could solve a crime simply by the style in which it was perpetrated. These methods were never used on "Joe the working stiff" who had an accidental f*ck up or a B.S. arrest.  Also gone are the days of "arresting" the local drunks and street bums (now called homeless) so they don't freeze to death and could get a hot meal and dry out for a couple of days. The times have changed for better or worse depending on your perspective. Personally, I just roll with them. As for the incident with the Chicago officer, she probably should never have been a police officer in the first place but thanks to politicized hiring practices she is.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does anyone really care about those Mau-Mau's! Let them kill off each other.
View Quote

Mau-Maus?

I always thought the rifle was a Mauser 98. Why would you use 88? Could it be the same reason that "area88" picked the number to go in his name, and posted a link to a national alliance website in his first post on AR15.com?
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Always be sure your safety is on before pistol whipping someone. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top