Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2001 7:56:22 PM EDT
Some people call me radical, crazy, naive, or idiotic. Yet all I ask is to follow the Constitution. Is that to much to ask?

Joe Sobran describes a similar story:

[url]http://www.lewrockwell.com/sobran/sobran214.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#1]
That reminds me of an old quote:

"The Constitution:  It's better than what the government's using now."

Which reminds me of another joke I heard attributed to Chesty Puller.  He said lots of countries guarantee freedom of speech, but only the US guarantees freedom [i]after[/i] speech.  I thought that was an important concept some politicians haven't learned.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
This was a beautiful essay.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
He is correct, but as usual most people who read it will still not get it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't even read the Constitution anymore.  All it does is fill me with rage, sadness and frustration.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 1:36:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't even read the Constitution anymore.  All it does is fill me with rage, sadness and frustration.
View Quote

If you really want disgust, read the list of grievances in the Declaration of Independence and you can see how many the present government has violated.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 5:33:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Mr. Sobran is 100% correct.  But, didn't I hear recently that talking about the Constitution is an indicator that you might be a domestic "terrorist"?

I deplore true terrrorism, as does every sane person.  But, it seems as though there is some confusion across the nation.  Some people are mistaking patriots for terrorists.  The problem is that the people making this mistake are those in government and law enforcement.

The Constitution seems to be just a piece of paper that we do lip service to.  In some cases, its protections are taken to the limit...particularly freedom of speech.  We see people who publically advocate pedophilia being protected in our courts on free speech grounds.  But, other protections are almost completely swept aside.  I'm specifically thinking of the Second, Forth, and Fifth amendments.

Guns and gun owners are continually under attack by federal, state, and local laws.  It has reached the point where reasonable well-meaning and law abiding citizens can't even determine if they are breaking the law or not.  Now that is ridiculous.  We also have seach and seizure with secret warrants or no warrants at all (the new "anti-terrorism" law).  We have permanent confiscation of property without due process prompted by our drug "war" (I do not advocate drug use...I just oppose the encroachment of our Liberties that the government has engaged in to curb drug use).

Where does it end?  I guess things might change if Americans would actually take the time to READ and UNDERSTAND the wisdom packed into their Constitution.  It is the duty of this generation to hand down a Constitution which is at least as unscathed as we found it.  Unfortunately, I fear that apathy and ignorance are leading us to dismal failure in that department.

Concerning violent overthrow of the government, the Declaration of Independence is clear: "That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new
government"

I do not believe we have reached the point where the political system is unworkable and violence becomes necessary...but we may someday.  Who knows?  If that becomes the case, I will proudly stand shoulder to shoulder with "terrorists" such as George Washington, Samuel Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and Alexander Hamilton.

RESTORE THE RIGHTFUL AUTHORITY OF CONSTITUTION BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top