Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2001 1:02:55 PM EDT
I recently sold a rifle to someone out of my state.  His dealer refuses to send me a copy of his FFL for shipping purposes because I am not an FFL dealer.  WTF?  He says it's "illegal".  WTF again?  I will not ship this thing until I have an FFL (don't worry) but have never had this prob before.  Anybody ever heard of this crap before?  [b]** RANT MODE OFF **[/b]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
technically you are not required to have an original signed copy unless you are an FFL yourself.  I only ran into one guy so far that refused to send a copy out... and I'm with you, I wouldn't ship a firearm without one personally.  

Suggest the following:

-tell the FFL to write across the license "for transfer of AR15 SN #XXXX from Joe Johnson to John Jones only" or something to that effect... that may make the guy feel better.

-tell the buyer you will ship only to an FFL that provides you with a copy and ask him to find another dealer.

-use a local FFL for shipping but require that your buyer compensate you for that service.

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]
First off, there is nothing illegal about him providing you with a copy of his license.  In fact, while its only required of an FFL, its still a good idea for any individual.  You can be held criminally liable for selling a gun across state lines to an unlicensed individual.  So how do you tell he's not an unlicensed individual?  You ask him for a copy of his license.

I've heard of this kind of thing before, but its usually by dealers who don't know what the hell they're doing.  Vicg1 gave you some good suggestions; try it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top