Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/28/2001 9:50:21 AM EDT
I went to my friend's place for Thanksgiving. He lives in Bend, Oregon. I'm not sure what possessed him to live in that place, but whatever. While I was there, he took me to a small gun show in Redmond, Oregon.
It was a small show. Less than 20 tables, but I couldn't believe the toys they had. I'm from California and virtually everything at that show was off limits to me. At one table, this guy was selling Uzi's, mini-Uzi's, Mac 10's in 9mm & .45, a couple Steyr AUGS, HK's of all types, there were even some German MG43s. Some were even full auto. The ammo was outrageous, too. They were selling AP rounds and tracers.
I was thinking it would be cool to live in another state besides California, but the trade off would be living in another state besides California. Oregon doesn't exactly have the greatest looking women. When I came home to Orange County airport, I saw more hot chicks in five minutes in the terminal than I did in all six days in Oregon. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Take those hot chicks from Orange County, scrub off all paint and put them in flannel shirts and jeans and they will look a lot more like the chicks in Bend.

Chances are the chicks in Bend have their head screwed on a little straighter.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Chances are the chicks in Bend have their head screwed on a little straighter.
View Quote

I wouldn't say that. It seemed that the women in Bend were VERY slow in their thinking process.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#3]
You should have felt right at home in Bend, Ore. It is little CA in most aspects (except the women of course!) When my family first moved to Bend in 1978 there were only two traffic lights in the whole damned town. Bend has grown beyond its means and if you took a poll, i would bet that 70% of the people there would have originally come from the People's Republic of Kalifornia. I remember mom and dad explaining to me that our good governor from the 1970's used to have a sign on the southern border that said "Welcome to Oregon, visit all you want but please go back home."

One of Oregon's few native eastern Oregon sons,

Karl
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I visited for a few days and I couldn't wait to get back to California. I'm used to having millions of people around me, not just 40,000. The town is only 4 square miles? Most of the shops and restaurants close by 5pm? And the worst part: you can't buy liquor on sundays!!!!! What the hell is up with that?
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#5]
John:

The People's Republic is cool when it comes to booze sales. While playing rugby down south we thought it was pretty convenient to buy hard A in grocery stores. The Liquor Control (OLCC) does rule Oregon with an iron fist. Personally, I feel more than a little cramped by the sheer number of people who live down there. If you are happy there, then more power to ya!

Karl
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You take a CA girl over an OR girl?  Hell, move to OR.  You come home from a hard day at the range, "Hey, Honey, what's for dinner?"  and "Here, sweety, clean my AR for me, will you?"

No, you take some CITY girl over a real woman.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm glad you like it better in the PRK please stay there more room for us .
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I moved away from the hell called ca. 4 years ago and it was the best dang thing I ever did.
now if I want a gun I just go down and pay for it a quick phone call and take it home.
its nice to be able to buy a regular looking ar15 , ak47, h&k or the regular 20 or 30 round mags. hey I heard you guys gotta new gun law going into effect in a few years. (no more handgun purchases or as close to it as you can get.) you are just jelous of oregon because even with half of the state from ca. at least they can own a gun. (no sales tax also)
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm glad you like it better in the PRK please stay there more room for us .
View Quote

There's so much room in Oregon, I'm suprised it's a state and not an Air Force bombing range. I get less than a mile out of town and it's like I'm in Alaska or something.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#10]
John:

There are two places that I know of in Oregon that are indeed DOD bombing ranges (one in central oregon and the other along the gorge). Gotta love those wide open spaces. Certainly is God's country!

Karl
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Really? Bend is in central Oregon. How far is this bombing range from Bend?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#12]
It was a WW2 vintage bombing range east of bend. It is just before Horse ridge. As a kid I used to go out and pick up 50 bmg casings, links, and bomb shrapnel. Now that I am older, it was probably pretty stupid as there COULD have been undetonated ordnance out there.

There is also a US Army lab out there known as the Central Oregon Testing Evaluation Facility that I believe was instrumental in developing night vision. Heard that they were pretty busy just before and during the Gulf War.

Karl
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He lives in Bend, Oregon. I'm not sure what possessed him to live in that place, but whatever.
View Quote

I couldn't believe the toys they had. I'm from California and virtually everything at that show was off limits to me. At one table, this guy was selling Uzi's, mini-Uzi's, Mac 10's in 9mm & .45, a couple Steyr AUGS, HK's of all types, there were even some German MG43s. Some were even full auto. The ammo was outrageous, too. They were selling AP rounds and tracers.
View Quote

Apparently, it's not only the women in California who have great difficulty in making direct correlations.

I was thinking it would be cool to live in another state besides California, but the trade off would be living in another state besides California. Oregon doesn't exactly have the greatest looking women. When I came home to Orange County airport, I saw more hot chicks in five minutes in the terminal than I did in all six days in Oregon.
View Quote

Yup, sounds great to me. Stay put and watch the cost of living go up while your freedoms erode all so you can look at "hot chicks", go to the beach once in a while, and wear a T-shirt to work in February. Sounds like something worth giving up most of my guns for. Not.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup, sounds great to me. Stay put and watch the cost of living go up while your freedoms erode all so you can look at "hot chicks", go to the beach once in a while, and wear a T-shirt to work in February. Sounds like something worth giving up most of my guns for. Not.
View Quote

I've said it before and I'll say it again,"Life's more than just firearms." I spend a lot more time at the beach and hanging out with hot chicks than I do shooting. And heck, I'm wearing a t-shirt right now at work. I can't deal with snow.
Yes, the cost of living is high in Southern Orange County, but most of the people here also make a lot of money. My friend, who now lives in Bend, used to make around $75,000. Now, he makes less than half that amount in Bend. He's living the same comfortable life style because I think the average salary in Bend is only around $18,000. It's all relative.
Basically, it's whatever makes you happy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

That pretty much says it all.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That pretty much says it all.
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

If that's the creed you truly live by, then why start ragging on Oregon or any other state simply because it doesn't meet YOUR minimum "hot chick" quota?

I'm sure that you are certainly not the first one to realize that life's more than just guns. For some of us, there is also more to life than just hanging out with flaky bleached blondes and going to the beach, too. But as you alluded to, if that sort of "happiness" is worth sacrificing your other interests for, then so be it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Even if we do tend to bash the PRK, we must never forget that we are all in this war together. We are constantly fighting terrorists and fascist politicians who are all UnAmerican. John, I really hope that some day the citizen's of California wake up and take back their state from those people who would like to make guys like you susceptible to rediculous and enslaving regulations.

Karl
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

If that's the creed you truly live by, then why start ragging on Oregon or any other state simply because it doesn't meet YOUR minimum "hot chick" quota?

I'm sure that you are certainly not the first one to realize that life's more than just guns. For some of us, there is also more to life than just hanging out with flaky bleached blondes and going to the beach, too. But as you alluded to, if that sort of "happiness" is worth sacrificing your other interests for, then so be it.
View Quote

I wasn't ragging on Oregon. I stated that in Oregon you can own guns that I can't own [i]legally[/i]. I thought that was pretty cool. In my opinion, the pleasures of the hot chicks and the beaches far outweigh the pleasure of [i]legally[/i] owning a FA firearm. No ragging was intended. If you thought I was ragging, then you're too damn sensitive. Go smoke some pot and chill out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#20]
John and others from Cali - [b]PLEASE[/b] do us a favor -[b]DO NOT MOVE TO OREGON[/b]

You all have goofed up your own state. By allowing the liberals to destroy freedom and squander the tax dollars of the northern portion of the state on the problematic / liberal infested central and south.

We in Oregon are not interested in the prevasive mindset of californians.

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS - DO NOT COME HERE.

We have felt this way in Southern Oregon for since the 60's. It isn't a fad.

Good luck. Stay there. Or go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I live in Oregon and I like Oregon's purity.
I am a 22 year computer "nerd" and I work in the city.
As the days go on I'm beginning to find that Computers and City's suck.
Living in Oregon give's me the chance to drive 30 minutes and be in area's where doing whatever I want is legel, Shoot Guns, blowup homemade bombs, smoke pot out in open :0).
Its one of the only things I have to get away.
What I'm getting at Oregon is a cool place to live if you want alittle of both worlds.
Big city (Portland, Metro), yet beaches and mountians and vast valleys not to far away.
I will argee that chicks in Oregon aren't the hottest, but I already got a cool good looking chick locked into place, so what do I care.
This might sound weird, buts it true, if america or this world was to ever go "belly up",
Oregon is exactly the place where I would want to be.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Even if we do tend to bash the PRK, we must never forget that we are all in this war together. We are constantly fighting terrorists and fascist politicians who are all UnAmerican. John, I really hope that some day the citizen's of California wake up and take back their state from those people who would like to make guys like you susceptible to rediculous and enslaving regulations.

Karl
View Quote

You guys do tend to bash California a lot. Why is that? Is it just because of the gun regulations?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
John, I really hope that some day the citizen's of California wake up and take back their state from those people who would like to make guys like you susceptible to rediculous and enslaving regulations.
View Quote

Yeah, right. Wake up. It sounds like they're too engrossed with silicone tits and crowded beached to care about anything else.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wasn't ragging on Oregon.
View Quote

Okay, maybe not ragging. Negativelv noting. Is that PC enough for our California brethren?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
John and others from Cali - [b]PLEASE[/b] do us a favor -[b]DO NOT MOVE TO OREGON[/b]

Don't worry, I'll do myself a favor and not move to Oregon.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You guys do tend to bash California a lot. Why is that? Is it just because of the gun regulations?
View Quote

More likely it's because California continues to export it's own shallowness of valuing important things like "hot chicks" and easy beach access over basic rights.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't worry, I'll do myself a favor and not move to Oregon.
View Quote

Now if you could just do something about everyone else in California..... [:)]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, right. Wake up. It sounds like they're too engrossed with silicone tits and crowded beached to care about anything else.
View Quote

Well, we do also care about the Ferrari's, Porsches, BMW's, Mercedes, and the long legs with the silicone. I also like nice asses, too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Now if you could just do something about everyone else in California..... [:)]
View Quote

Wow, you really don't like Californians. Did some chick from here dump you or something?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wow, you really don't like Californians. Did some chick from here dump you or something?
View Quote

Nope, in fact my sister in-law is one of those "hot chicks" from California, complete with big fake tits and all. She's a personal trainer in San Diego. Not necessarily much upstairs, but hey, what little consequence is that when all you care about T&A and what kind of car they drive, right? Just glad I got the one with brains along with beauty and feet firmly planted on the ground.

I'm sure there are some good, decent Californians. To be honest, I'm really pretty indiscriminate in not particularly caring for anyone who values such vanity over basic rights. I could buy staying in California and sucking up the loss of your freedoms if it was for family or important to your career in the long term, but simply for "hot chicks" and beaches? Please. California does not have any sort of a lock on those.

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm sure there are some good, decent Californians. To be honest, I'm really pretty indiscriminate in not particularly caring for anyone who values such vanity over basic rights. I could buy staying in California and sucking up the loss of your freedoms if it was for family or important to your career in the long term, but simply for "hot chicks" and beaches? Please. California does not have any sort of a lock on those.

View Quote

There are a ton of decent people here. You think all the millions of people here are all bad? I still don't see where all this anger concerning Californians come from.
I have a good career going. I make decent money to afford fancy restaurants and a couple nice cars. I'm definitely not rich by California standards, but I'm comfortable. The hot chicks and the beaches is just another bonus.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There are a ton of decent people here. You think all the millions of people here are all bad? I still don't see where all this anger concerning Californians come from.
I have a good career going.
View Quote

Nope, never even said that ANY Californians are "bad" people. Your state just seems to have a substantially higher than average percentage of people with pretty f*cked up priorities.

I make decent money to afford fancy restaurants and a couple nice cars. I'm definitely not rich by California standards, but I'm comfortable. The hot chicks and the beaches is just another bonus.
View Quote

Well, good for you. Most of the rest of us live comfortable lives, too. We can eat at nice restaurants, drive nice cars, even buy our homes (how easy it that in Orange County these days?), and still have enough left over for some cool toys. And given that I am already happily married, I'd much rather be able to buy a new AR than look at "hot chicks". Obviously, your opinion on that differs.

Maybe I should move to Bend. I could probably live like a king on $75K a year there. [;)]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, never even said that ANY Californians are "bad" people. Your state just seems to have a substantially higher than average percentage of people with pretty f*cked up priorities.
View Quote

Is this YOUR opinion or this written down on some Washington Fact sheet?

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Personal observation.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Agreed that too much migration to a particular area can mess it up.  But before anyone does too much bashing of the folks who relocate to Southern Oregon from the PRK, realize that most of those people are retiring to the area and they bring with them a lot of money.  And that is a good part of what is keeping what little economy is in the area alive.  I have had homes in both locations for quite some time now and I spend a lot of PRK money in Oregon.  I don't see the store owners, building contractors, service providers, restuarant owners, and property tax collectors complaining. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Personal observation.
View Quote

So, you've met all the millions here? Whatever.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And that is a good part of what is keeping what little economy is in the area alive.
View Quote

Of course, if there weren't so many eco-freaks from outside the region meddling in their affairs without any concern for the folks who do live there, their economy wouldn't NEED your help.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So, you've met all the millions here? Whatever.
View Quote

Yeah, that's exactly what I said, isn't it? Do YOU inquire of every single individual involved with any given subject before forming an opinion of it? Did YOU met all the millions of women from Oregon before issuing you blanket generalization about their lack of beauty? I didn't think so. Whatever.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I think Boomer's just mad because the LA Lakers beat the living shit out of the Sonics every year. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm sure there are some good, decent Californians.

View Quote

When I read this, it implies that there are just a few good people here. That's why I think you've got issues.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think Boomer's just mad because the LA Lakers beat the living shit out of the Sonics every year. [:D]
View Quote

Sorry, I couldn't tell you what either team has done as I don't follow pro sports. I think we should have run the Mariners and Seahawks out of Seattle when they demanded new stadiums.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That's why I think you've got issues.
View Quote

Yes, I do have issues. Infringements on Constitutional rights being one of the major ones. But hey, who cares about something as insignificant as the Constitution when there's a nice rack to be ogled, right?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, I couldn't tell you what either team has done as I don't follow pro sports. I think we should have run the Mariners and Seahawks out of Seattle when they demanded new stadiums.
View Quote

You don't follow pro sports, you don't like women, beaches, cars, and California values. What do you do in Washington? Hide in a log cabin in the woods with your AR and shoot at advancing Californians?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Funny the mindset of the poeple up north....

When I first moved to WA nobody liked me. I was from CA so people screwed with me... They continued to screw with me untill i felt it was time to defend myself... Funny how a good old fashioned ass kickin straitend them people right up. I had to kick someones ass to fit in... you guys need to quite hangin out with the canadians.....no wonder there so damned good a hockey..

I met plenty of hot chicks up north..... Truely hot chicks don't wear war paint.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes, I do have issues. Infringements on Constitutional rights being one of the major ones. But hey, who cares about something as insignificant as the Constitution when there's a nice rack to be ogled, right?
View Quote

Damn straight!!!! GOD bless America and plastic women!!! What do you care about the laws in California? You live in Washington with your AR.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Dudes, what is this crap?  Stop with the turf wars you wanna be gangbangers.  This is the US of A and if you ain't Indian, your'e ALL immigrant late comers.  Go bag on Afghanistan!  PS. in a sick way, I kind of like the Cali laws.  Makes gun owners like me ELITE in a sense.  "Grandfathered in..."
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You don't follow pro sports, you don't like women, beaches, cars, and California values. What do you do in Washington? Hide in a log cabin in the woods with your AR and shoot at advancing Californians?
View Quote

Yeah, I'm married, 2 weeks ago I was out on the coast digging razor clams, I often vacation on the Oregon coast, and I enjoy driving, offroading, and motorcycles. That obviously means I don't like women, beaches, or cars, right? Geez, with logic as piss poor as that, you honestly wonder why so many people don't care for Californians?

It would be nice, however, if we did legalize hunting those advancing Californians. Just put a "hot chick" with huge fake tits on the beach and you fools would flock in. We'd limit out every day. [;)]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What do you care about the laws in California? You live in Washington with your AR.
View Quote

It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Californians:

A: Keep migrating everywhere else and try to impose their will on others

B: Keep electing socialists to congress where they try to impose their will on everyone else.

Wow, was that really that much of a stretch for you?

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In a sick way, I kind of like the Cali laws.  Makes gun owners like me ELITE in a sense.  "Grandfathered in..."
View Quote

Yes, our nation needs more people just like you. Maybe one day we'll be able to say "I was free to own a gun back when...."
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Whoa!!

I went to Lunch and sounds like we are about to have Civil War all over again! John, the main frustration that Native Oregonians have had with California is that the huge influx of people into Oregon happened so QUICKLY. There is a lot of anti-California sentiment in the Central Oregon area because of increasing traffic and suburban sprawl. In fact, the new city planner of Bend has come from some touristy area similar to Bend and has promised to accomplish the same thing in Oregon. He is dedicated to restricitng unrestrained growth into areas that were once wild and scenic. Oregonians are VERY proud of their state and you can break down even further into West side versus East side. The people in Eastern Oregon really resent those folks from the Valley (Portland, Eugene, Salem, etc...) because they feel that those from the Valley intrude upon their lives and view Eastern Oregon as their playground. There is also  A LOT of frustration when it comes to voting as the Valley possesses the population mass and will passs legislation that flies in the face of many people over here (no dogs when cougar hunting as an example). You could probably start a Civil War in this state just based on those people who live on opposite sides of the Cascades. And speaking of Civil War..YOU DUCKS ARE GONNA LOSE!! GO BEAVERS.

Karl
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top