Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2001 11:05:13 AM EDT
Since I registered to vote I've been a regular correspondent with my Senators and Representatives, both state and federal. However, I've never written to any President. I have real desire to have my letter end up in some Secret Service file, or in the round-file for that matter.

Has anyone here ever written to a sitting president and gotten any kind of response out of it, whether from the big man himself or one of his lesser lackeys?
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#1]
From my very [u]limited[/u] knowlage on the subject, I think how it works is that other people read the mail first. If it is something cursing out the president you end up on a very bad list to be on. If it is somehow special, it might make it to the president.

I would guess that he reads less than 0.05% of the mail sent to him. He probably gets a nice summary of what people are writing to him about. A single peice of mail about someting is not important.

My best theory -
A lot about the same thing in a short period of time is usually taken very serously. This is usually true for most levels of government.

I hope I didn't screw something up here.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.

BTW, your signature line kills me, bro. Just the kind of sick sh!t I can appreciate without taking seriously and getting my undies into a sweaty bunch over.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I wrote a letter to President Reagan back in 1986.  It made me feel like I was doing somthing significant, as if I had his complete attention.  That may sound stupid, but a couple weeks later I got a short handrwritten note back from him.  That was a pretty special experience for me.  The note is in a *VERY* safe place now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I would guess it also depends a lot apon who the president you are writing to currently is and what is happening. With this antrhax scare I don't know if Bush is actually reading any of it at all.

Torf, getting a letter back from the President either says a lot about you, that President, or both.

Appended -
I don't know why you want to write to him, but I sugest talking to friends, family, possably people at church, and other people about the subject and ask them to also write in. (I kinda hinted at this earlier).

It is very important that people take an active roll in our political system, expecially those of us who are not elected officials. I could rant on and on, but I won't.
[soapbox]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Torf, getting a letter back from the President either says a lot about you, that President, or both.
View Quote

It probably says more about him than me.  After all, I didn't have to take valuable time out from beating the Russians in the cold war to write.  He did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top