Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2001 12:36:24 AM EDT
If you were thinking of buying this game, DON'T, unless you like to gamble. It seems that the release of the game was very rushed and it contains many serious bugs, some of which render the game unplayable. It is hit and miss as to what systems work and which ones won't.

For example if you have a Voodoo card, forget it. The graphics on the menus are unreadable, the nightvision doesn't work correctly, and the cinematic scenes won't play at all.

There are people even having their system lock up with new GE force cards.

Until Ubisoft resolves these problems, get something else instead like Operation Flashpoint.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:17:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn it!   I was really looking foward to that game!  WTF is the deal with software companies?  It's amazing how buggy they'll release a game just to ship by a certain date... this "f*ck 'em, we'll release a patch in a coupla months" attitude is BS!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:29:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Like most things concerning technology.

Engineers say it'll be done and ready for initial testing in two months.  Marketing promises a release date of 6 weeks.

The CEO's makes a compromise, and tells the engineers they must get it done in 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:29:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Voodoo 3dfx card and the menus are almost unreadable but the game runs fine.  picking gear is sometimes hard when you can't read the stats but the missions seem to work for me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to trash your voodoo.  That is your problem.  I got a geforce 3 just so i could play ghost recon.  I had the voodoo 3 but it gave me problems with alot of stuff.

Now is the time to buy.  Nvidia has a voodoo rebat offer.  If you buy one of their or pnys cards, they will give you some money back for your old voodoo.  Which is now unsupported and soon to be useless.

Oh yeah, and when you get the game to work.  You won't be disappointed.  Its pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a Geforce DDR (the original) and have had no problems whatsoever.  I just got a Geforce 3 Ti200 and have experienced the same...no problems at all.  So  YMMV (your mileage may vary).  Great game though.  Make sure you use the quicksave and quickload features in missions though.

toast
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I am running on a GEN I<--- hahah, GeForce 256, Creative Labs, and this game is awesome.

I am running farely decently on a PIII 600Mhz, with 128MB of Ram. I have not run into problems but I am hearing of a few problems from others. I am eagerly awaiting the release of editing software to go with IGOR so that I can make brand new maps.  I can MOD weapons,Kits, and modify maps (<--still learning on that one though). But the game is astounding!! Learning to direct your team is fun and watching them win a firefight always delivers a great deal of satisfaction. Many of the problems I have read about people having, are there out of ignorance and lack of knowledge, but some few seem legit. Comming from a Delta Force, Delta Force 2 , and Land Warrior game. I guess I am just not running into many problems using the team computer and such; and have no gripes with AI.  

Benjamin

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I am running Geforce 256+ on a Dual PIII 800 with 512 meg ram with no problems at all. this game is the best I have ever played. Im stuck on Mission 8 though. Good luck to those who have already purchased the game....
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
GeForce 3 Ti 500.  No problem.  Stick with a GeForce card and you'll probably be ok.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#11]
It's not that great, operation flashpoint is better for single player and lan multiplayer(but slow on internet).  

Ghost recon still has some of the same old issues, they fixed the lag, but you can still end up in positions where you see a guy and fire, but hit an invisible wall way too often.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Most of the issues with GR can be solved by updating your drivers for you hardware. (which you should do regularly) I wouldn't be upset about ubi.com's gaming site not working though. Use the all seeing eye to find ip games, runs much better than through a gaming service. Good advice about downloading the demo, but be warned, if you like the demo you will have to go out and get the game.  We need to set a time for us to have an AR15.com game.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Unless your computer is a scorcher don't even try to play on UBI.  It overloaded mine, but I didn't allow my computer to be used as a server.  It was toast.  I even have cable.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Damn it!   I was really looking foward to that game!  WTF is the deal with software companies?  It's amazing how buggy they'll release a game just to ship by a certain date... this "f*ck 'em, we'll release a patch in a coupla months" attitude is BS!
View Quote

[:)]sounds like another reason to pick up an XBOX. it will have Ghost Recon for it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Already bought it...AND IT DOESN'T WORK!  I played on one of my friends computer (free game for him) and it kinda sucked anyway.  I guess it didn't agree with the ATI hardware/software on my HP Pavilion.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#17]
While I'm not as pleased with Ubi as I was with Redstorm...the game appears to work with as wide of variety of software as most other titles out there.

As always, get the latest drivers and even then, that 3 year old Voodoo may be in need of replacement.  Cutting edge gaming puts some severe workloads on the hardware.  Which is why a lot of gamers are constantly updating their hardware every year to year and a half.

The minimum requirements listed for the game are by far not the minimum needed for enjoying the game.  The video card gives the biggest payoff for a quick-upgrade without jumping to a new/faster system.  Next, load up the memory...besides, RAM's cheap right now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
As a CS student (Going for that 2nd degree now - I'm spending too much time in college) I'm sure that the engineers probably don't like it any more than you do. I've been under similar pressure to get things done before their time in CS classes. Working through the night, hunting for memory leaks & access violations, and testing input/output/error handling is a real b!tch!

From my experience, I'd recommend waiting for "SOF2" &/or "Counter Strike: Condition Zero", and "Jedi Knight 2: Outcast", as the companies behind these titles seem to do a [i]better[/i] job of black & white box testing.

Also, it doesn't hurt to hold on to your cash for a while and let the reviews come in; or maybe wait a little longer for the improved & bundled versions to come out so you'll get all the goods at a better price.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#19]
My Voodoo 5500 runs great with GR.  So good in fact, that I can see the Trijicon reflex is mounted backwards on the M4.

FYI...there is a driver link for voodoo 4/5 card which will support direct X 8 on the www.ghostrecon.com site und the devlopment link.

FYI... I have ASUS 8200 GEforce III 64mb for only $329.00 and ASUS 7700 GEforce II TI for only $159.00
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked up ROGUE SPEAR-Black Thorn a few weeks ago.  My computer does not like this game.  I have a voodoo 3 card installed.  This game jerks and slows down.  I also believe it uses direct x8.  Hell, maybe i just need a computer.  After all, its 3 years old.  333mhz
P2 IBM.  Tom Clancy games ROCK!!!  May wait awhile on the Ghost Recon.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 1:24:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Scipio does the rebate come with the geforce or do I need to contact someone??
John
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 4:52:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Dammit!  I just went through this crap with Ubisoft over Pool of Radiance.  The half-finished game they released would always install the game in the default directory, no matter what you told it.  That should have been caught in testing very early.  And uninstallation is Russian roulette.  Good chance of wiping out your Windows system files.

I will NEVER buy another Ubisoft product.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:14:47 AM EDT
[#23]
You will not get the game to run without Direct X8. I work at AMD in the platform validation LAB, and it seems to lock up systems until DX8 is installed. One of the guys int he lab has a Voodoo card in his system and it locked up the box when he started the game. He rebooted and installed DX8 and it ran fine.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:24:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Ghost Recon seems to work fine for me, though I've only fired it up once on my box.
I'm just glad they got Silent Hunter 2 out... gonna have to get that one soon.
(except, you play a German Uboat... and I watched a documentary about the Uboats in WWII... after about mid '43, they were getting their asses royally kicked... I wonder if the game ends up like that, YOU getting your A$$ kicked!)
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I downloaded the demo and it worked fine single player and online.  Got the $50 game and it's shit.  Took it back.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#26]
this is why i like consoles i dont have to worry about needing updates.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Heh, I tell ya what I haven't played a single one of my first person shooters since I went out and got the newest Need for Speed game from EA.

I'm adicted to Motor City Online, a persistent online universe for car nuts to race eachother while using classic muscle cars.   If you're into driving games this game is pretty sweet, lots of ability to customize cars and race them against buddies.    Downsides are that it's graphics aren't as good as the Porche Unleashed game and because of the nature of a persistent online only game there is a monthly fee to play the game on the EA servers, first month is free though.

I've always enjoyed racing games, the Gran Turismo series and Need For Speed series on the Playstation was some darned good fun.   Motor City Online has managed to hook me pretty good.

Heh, shameless plug over with now.

As for the Ghost Recon game, I played the demo with no problem but wasn't overly impressed with it.    Had the same impression with it as I did Operation Flash Point, game play is a bit to tedious for me with both those games.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Return To Castle Wolfenstein [}:D]

[img]http://www.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/gallery/16_images/screenshot_02.jpg[/img]

Nothing better than shooting some Nazis, and the gameplay is good.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's a Ghost Recon warning for you:  Don't buy this game!  It's a major disappointment!!!

I just finished it, and here's my perspective, from a single player only view.

Not only will this game push the limits of your system, but it will push the limits of boredom as well.  

Rainbow6 was great, and Rogue Spear was an excellent upgrade, but I see nothing in Ghost Recon that couldn't have been accomplished with a good RS mod.

Graphics were great, and I was in awe, until about 3 missions into the games, when I realized that was as good as it gets.  Missions were boring and repetative.  The kit selection was very limited, M16, M203, M249, M9, M4 (with backwards Reflex and front sight???), that's it!?  And like RS and R6, friendly AI was again horrible.

Missions sucked.  Boring and very repetative.  Also didn't seem very realistic, and the plot seemed pretty weak.  Missions were also pretty linear.  Bad guys always were in the same places, and never reacted quite right when you shot the guy next to them.  An alarm would go off, and nothing would happen.  How about the mission that recommended suppressed weapons.  Only thing I had were M9s and then some jackass in my team starts blasting away with his M249, but nothing happens, no bad guys heard the commotion I guess.

Maps were pretty good, for RS, where CQB was the norm, but these maps were just too small to represent traditional combat, nothing like OpFlashpoint where you could wonder around for hours, and still run into bad guys.

And after the last mission, which wasn't any more challenging than the first, the game just exited to the menu, not even the credits flashed across the screen.  At first I thought it had crashed!  

How to make it better?  More weapons selection (these are SpecOps guys, right???), better (more realistic) missions and more missions, and larger maps.  Also would be nice to play the role of other nations' forces, with the appropriate gear.  Hell, I'd even be satisfied with playing the ruskies in some sort of reverse of the existing missions.

In summary, very disappointed and OpFlashpoint blows it out of the water.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top