Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2001 1:24:12 PM EDT
MAG: AMERICAN DEAD IN TALIBAN PRISONER REBELLION
Sun Nov 25 2001 12:58:29 ET

New York -- TIME magazine correspondent Alex Perry filed an eyewitness report late Sunday of 800 Taliban prisoners in armed rebellion at a Northern Alliance fort near Mazar- I-Sharif. Perry saw 12 Americans and British soldiers fighting with the Northern Alliance against the rebelling prisoners who were grabbing weapons from an armory. The Americans were wearing Air Force uniforms. One of two Americans trapped inside the fort, according to Perry, is dead. "The mission by the Americans and Northern Alliance was to kill every single one of them now."

MORE

On Saturday, 800 Taliban soldiers surrendered to the forces of Gen. Rashid Dostum, a leading commander of the Northern Alliance. But on Sunday, the prisoners decided to rebel, grabbing weapons from an armory at the local fort and attacking the Northern Alliance. At least two American soldiers were trapped in the fort when it happened and at least one is dead. American and British forces have now joined in trying to quell the attack. Time’s Alex Perry is on the scene and provided these details via satellite phone as the fighting raged.

QUESTIONS and answers from Alex Perry, TIME correspondent:

HOW FAR ARE YOU FROM THE FIGHTING NOW

200 yards

THESE ARE TALIBAN TROOPS THAT SURRENDERED YESTERDAY FROM KUNDUZ.

Yeah. That's right. Drove over toward Mazar laid down their weapons and were taken by Dostum's people. They laid down their weapons, then they were taken in trucks to Kalai Jangi on the West of Mazar-i-Sharif.

HOW MANY ARE INVOLVED IN THIS FIGHT RIGHT NOW?

800 [ all]

HOW MANY AMERICAN TROOPS ARE FIGHTING.

There's British and American. They're fighting together. There's a hand-full of them. I would say 12. They came in two jeeps.

12 AMERICANS AND BRITISH TOTAL?

Yes. There's British SAF and American Air Force uniforms they've got on. The British Air are in plain clothes, the Americans are in uniform.

THEY'RE NOT FIGHTING ALL 800 OF THESE MEN ARE THEY?

Yeah. They are. With the northern alliance.

SO THIS IS 12 ALONGSIDE THE NORTHERN ALLIANCE?

But the Americans are running the show.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "RUNNING THE SHOW?"

Well the Americans and the British are coordinating airstrikes from their positions inside the fort on another part of the fort. And they're also directing the commanders inside when to tell their men to attack.

ARE THEY EXCHANGING FIRE AS WELL?

Yeah, they are. They are. [gunfire] Jesus. Some guy's just letting off a gun for no reason. Part of the American forces and the British forces are coordinating airstrikes. there's a group of ... six who are coordinating the airstrikes. Those are the guys I was with. And then there are another six or seven who are fighting the Taliban on the West side of the fort. The southwest side. The Taliban are holed off in a pocket on the southwest side. The bomb spotters are on the southeast side, on the roof of a two-story building. The reason they're here is that earlier when the Taliban grabbed some guns and started fighting, there were two American soldiers inside the fort: one of whom was disarmed and killed -- he was called Mike -- and another one was also in trouble; he was out of ammunition, had managed to sort of hold off the Taliban with his pistol but he was out of ammunition when the main body of American and British people arrived. There's no word on his fate yet. But the Americans were mounting a rescue operation.

AND THIS IS ALL HAPPENING INSIDE THE FORT

Yeah, it's all inside the fort

EXPLAIN HOW THIS TRANSPIRED. THEY WERE BROUGHT TO KJ IN PICKUP TRUCKS AND NOBODY SEARCHED FOR GUNS THAT MIGHT HAVE NOT BEEN IN THE OPEN ON THEIR BODY.

Then last night one of them pulled out this grenade, detonated it and killed himself ... and there's two commanders now dead [referring to grenade] and a British journalist [from ITN] was slightly injured in that explosion as well. Very minor.

DID THEY DECIDE TO SEARCH THEM AFTER THAT?

I'm not sure. I don't know about that. And then this morning some more journalists came. There was a guy from the Guardian in London and a woman called Claire from the New York Times. They were interviewing Taliban prisoners when the Taliban suddenly just pounced on them. They beat the British guy quite badly, but he was rescued and taken out of the fort. But that's when the Taliban grabbed guns off the Northen Alliance, overpowered them, killed at least twenty and the Northern Alliance lost control of the fort and had to withdraw from the fort.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT SET THEM OFF?

Actually I think it was probably the British journalist. It's merely the sight of a Western face. They're here to fight a jihad; they see a western face; they assume that's who they've come to get.

WOULD BEING INTERVIEWED BY A WOMAN ALSO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT?

No. She was outside.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
THIS HAPPENED WHEN THEY TALKED TO THE MAN FROM THE GUARDIAN?

Yeah. That's right.

NOW IS HE OK? YOU SAID THEY BEAT HIM UP PRETTY BADLY.

We passed him in a taxi. [gunfire again] He was kind of sitting up. He looked pretty shocked. I'm going to see him a bit later. I think he's got sort of flesh wounds. I don't know if he's got any broken bones. I could tell he was beaten quite badly.

SO THE SHOCK OF SEEING HIS FACE, THEY ROSE UP, THEY OVERCAME THEIR CAPTORS AND TOOK THE GUN FROM THE NORTHERN ALLIANCE.

That's right. The NA lost control.

SO THOSE TWO AMERICANS. THEY HAPPENED TO BE IN THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME?

Absolutely. There were also some Red Cross workers in there. They told me that one American Special Forces broke into their meeting, said they had to get out of here, out of the fort, because the situation was out of control.

AND THEN THEY GOT OUT

Yeah. They jumped over the wall.

NOW HAVE THERE BEEN ANY OTHER INJURIES AS FAR AS THE ALLIANCE. ONE CONFIRMED DEATH AND ONE POSSIBLE?

Among Northern Alliance, there were at least twenty dead in the initial, when the Taliban overpowered their alliance guards. I've heard there's probably 3, 400 hundred Taliban [dead] now. The mission by the Americans and Northern alliance is to kill every single one of them now.

THESE ARE AMONG THE THOUSAND THAT SURRENDERED YESTERDAY, CORRECT?

Yeah 800. They're all here. There's wild rumors that this must have been a plan, in fact, to surrender and then try and take the fort from the inside. That's NA speculation.

NOW HAVE THEY COMPLETELY TAKEN OVER THE FORT OR IS THE BATTLE HAPPENING INSIDE THE WALLS THE FORT?

This is happening inside the fort. They never took the entire fort.

HOW BIG IS THIS FORT?

It's about half a kilometer long and half a kilometer -- it's half a kilometer square. It's pretty big. Ooooohhhh, big explosion.

ARE THESE MAINLY AUTOMATIC AND SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE FIRE, OR IS THERE ANYTHING HEAVIER?

No, there are two tanks inside, two NA tanks that are being used. and the Americans have made nine air strikes so far. It's an incredible thing to watch. You can see the missiles coming in.

SO YOU'RE 200 HUNDRED YARDS AWAY FROM THESE MISSILES STRIKING DOWN.

When I was with the special forces I think I was about 50 yards [he begins to laugh]

RIGHT NOW YOU'RE 200 YARDS AWAY FROM THE TALIBAN OR WHERE THE FIGHTING IS?

From the fighting. We're outside the fort. Right outside the city walls.

SO THIS REVOLT AND IS BEING STAGED ENTIRELY WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THE FORT AND AS FAR AS DOSTUM AND THE REST OF THE NA KNOW HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TAKING OVER KUNDUZ?

Nothing to do with any of that. I think that the Taliban are pretty much convinced that they're going to get killed I think. Dostum has fairly fearsome reputation. He's run over his prisoners with tanks before now.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
So far it's been mainly Air Force personal that have engaged the Taliban in ground combat. How in the hell is that happening???
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah but what was he doing back at a rear area instead of up on the line?
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
12 Americans and Brits against 800 Taliban - an almost fair fight.

God watch over those 12 and give them strenght, steady aim and plenty of ammo.
View Quote

Yeah but this doesn't sound good...
The reason they're here is that earlier when the Taliban grabbed some guns and started fighting, there were two American soldiers inside the fort: one of whom was disarmed and killed -- he was called Mike -- and another one was also in trouble; he was out of ammunition, had managed to sort of hold off the Taliban with his pistol but he was out of ammunition when the main body of American and British people arrived. There's no word on his fate yet. But the Americans were mounting a rescue operation.
View Quote

The Pentagon keeps saying they "have no word" of American casualties from the units in the area- but that may be that they are just too busy to file a report. Hope its true though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#8]
BBC also reports US serviceman killed
[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1675000/video/_1675848_riot18_roxburgh_vi.ram[/url]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
DURING THIS ENGAGEMENT OR BACK IN THE LATE '90S?

I think it was '96-97 he was doing that. He's given them the assurance that they'll be safe but they're unlikely to trust him. If they get any opportunity to fight I think some of them are going to take it. There are supposed to be as well as Afghans, some Arabs and Chechens and some al-Qaeda operatives [gun firing again]

WHAT ABOUT A-QAEDA OPERATIVES?

There are supposed to be some with the group fighting.

ARE MOST OF THESE AFGHANS?

Yeah. I think they're mostly Afghans. But no one knows to be really honest. The prisoners aren't saying. They'll say that they are all Afghans so that they're treated a little bit better than if they said they were Pakistani or Saudi or something.

NOW IS THE PLAN JUST TO GO IN AND SWEEP THEM OUT?

Yeah. The American mission is two-fold. It's to wipe them out. And it's also to get -- they've got one last [American] in there they're trying to get out. As far as I could hear, they were still alive when I was there. They were organized

HOW LONG AGO WAS THAT?

Half an hour ago. They were trying to organize air strikes and cover fire so that he could make a run for it.

I'M STILL HEARING THE OCCASIONAL SHOT. IS IT DYING DOWN NOW OR IS IT STILL GOING ON?

No, no. It's still going on. It's not as fierce as it was. Earlier we were hearing a lot of AK-47 fire and a lot of M-4 fire, the American Special Forces rifle. So there was probably some hand to hand combat, but that's not happening at the moment. But there's still shots and explosions -- There's another one. A of tracer fire [as tracer fire goes overhead]

WHAT COULD HAVE GONE WRONG?

Well, as much as I hate to say it, letting journalists in among Taliban. He [The UK guy] was surrounded by Taliban. When I've been talking to them, I've been keeping at least three or four meters distance and the Northern alliance with me have been extremely nervous about letting me get close. They say that the Taliban are likely to try and kill me.

SO THERE WERE NONE OR FEW NA GUARDS?

There were a few northern alliance guards and they were the only ones that had the weapons, but by simple sheer force of numbers the Taliban could overwhelm them. That was a very bad I think. And then we saw a lot of northern alliance soldiers fleeing, some of them dropped their guns. I should also say that there are two Reuters journalists trapped inside there.

ANY OTHERS TRAPPED?

Maybe some northern alliance people as well. Well, almost certainly. It's gone quiet now. Suddenly. But the trouble was that the Taliban had gotten themselves into a position in the fort where they had access to the armory.

WERE THEY KEPT CLOSE TO THE ARMORY?

I don't know where they were kept. I think they were kept in the basement. Then stormed out of the basement and stormed Southwest part of the fort where there were six or seven jeeps full of ammunition. That was, in fact, what the Americans were trying to hit. To destroy their supplies [and] provide one almighty explosion that would kill a lot of them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#10]
THE NA DON'T KEEP THEIR WEAPONS UNDER LOCK, STOCK AND KEY?

No, they're incredibly casual with their weapons. They just lay them against the wall, lie them on the ground. They're always on their shoulder or just knocking against the back of a chair [Gun shot]. When you leave in the morning, you put your shoes on, put your hat on and get your gun.

WE KEEP HEARING THAT IF THE TALIBAN SURRENDER, THE NA WOULD BE GLAD TO HAVE THEM ON THEIR SIDE. DO YOU THINK THAT'S GOING TO CHANGE NOW?

Well, this particularly group have no chance of survival. They are going to get wiped out. If the Americans don't do it, then the Alliance are going to execute them. We saw some Taliban dead today. There were some who had managed to break out of the fort and they'd been shot between the eyes. As for the grand plan, it's certainly going to undermine it, but in some sense it's the only option if Afghanistan is going to have any chance at peace.

IF PUSH COMES TO SHOVE

Right. But you've got to say that this isn't the most auspicious start for that push for peace.

WHAT TIME DID THIS BEGIN?

The firing started about 11:30 [in the morning]. It's now a quarter to six. You can see fires burning. But I can't hear any more weapons. American planes are still searching overhead though. The Americans arrived at about 2.

WHERE WERE THEY BEFORE THIS.

The British said they were in Maser. The Americans I think came from Samirghan. Certainly one of them did. I saw him. He was on his way there and he came back today.

THE FIGHTING STARTED AT 11:30 AND THE AMERICANS CAME AT 2, BUT THERE WERE TWO AMERICANS TRAPPED THERE. THEY WERE TRAPPED AT 2 OR 11:30?

They got trapped in there about 11:30. There was one guy who was trapped. They were Special Forces. They were probably going to have a meeting with the commander; I'm not quite sure why they were there. One of them was trapped. The other one wasn't initially trapped, because he was initially trapped and he advised the Red Cross workers to leave. And he was with them and they got out. He stayed behind to try and help his friend.

WHICH ONE WAS MIKE AGAIN? Mike was the dead one.

DO YOU KNOW THE NAME OF THE OTHER ONE?

No, I don't.

WHAT’S GOING ON NOW?

There's great clouds of smoke rising from the fort, from bombing and from fires burning. The fort itself is of mud walls. The walls are about 20 meters high, but you can scale the side. [more gun shots] I wish that guy would stop doing that.

IS SOME GUY JUST SHOOTING HIS RIFLE OFF NEXT TO YOU? It's a local farmer. He occasionally just fires his gun into the fort for no apparent reason.

IS THERE A TOWN INSIDE THE FORT? There is a little town here, outside the fort. The civilians were evacuated. And we're sort of just sitting in a ditch now with a bunch of northern alliance guys taking cover.

THAT SOUNDS GOOD

We've got tracers going over our head. We're going to have to go get a taxi because they stop running at night.

END
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
CNN is now specualting that the men the European Journalists are reporting killed were CIA and not military. Cause the Pentigon is still saying that no US Military personal have been killed in Afganistan so far.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]
The Air Force also has a small cadre of special operators - think at one time they may have been called "Red Berets" but I'm not certain.  Standard clean-cut American Spec. Forces type - ripe out your heart and eat while it's still beating.
A few days ago these Air Force spec war guys(EM'S)were manning a check-point.
One American killed in the fort was either CIA or contractor.
I will pray for a never-ending supply of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Let´s hope the info on the western casualties turns out bogus.

Godspeed to all US and UK operators kicking Taliban ass there!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#14]
New link:
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011125/ts/attack_dc_879.html[/url]

I imagine that if you let Spooky loose on a mob in a compound things will get real quiet real quick..
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]
ABC News is reporting that a CIA employee was killed in the prison riot at Mazur e Sharif:
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/abc/20011125/ts/strike_main_1.html[/url]

This is most sad, US and British operators tried very hard to rescue him.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Either CIA or contractor.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Mr. Bin Laden, the USA is coming to GET YOU!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Actually as far as Air force Special forces goes you have Combat Controllers and Para Rescue there trained together until the final stage of training when CC goes to airtraffic control school and the PJ's go to Paramedic school they usually work together on ground ops and the red berets are actually Maroon.  The other AF special forces are the TACP's which are forward air controllers who specialize in calling in air strikes and basically love to shot it up with the bad guys.  I took a trip to the Tank Farm in northern Kuwait near Basara in 1995 and they laid waste to a bunch of tanks and junk lying around in-between calling in air strikes on targets with A-10's, F-18's, F-15's, and F-16's.  There is also a group of "parachutists'" in Florida  (I am not a liberty to say what base) that are not a specific AFSC but a special identifier code attached to your standard AFSC they train to jump in and secure the air fields that the CC Guys set up.  just my .02 worth.
John    
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Actually as far as Air force Special forces goes you have Combat Controllers and Para Rescue there trained together until the final stage of training when CC goes to airtraffic control school and the PJ's go to Paramedic school they usually work together on ground ops and the red berets are actually Maroon.  The other AF special forces are the TACP's which are forward air controllers who specialize in calling in air strikes and basically love to shot it up with the bad guys.  I took a trip to the Tank Farm in northern Kuwait near Basara in 1995 and they laid waste to a bunch of tanks and junk lying around in-between calling in air strikes on targets with A-10's, F-18's, F-15's, and F-16's.  There is also a group of "parachutists'" in Florida  (I am not a liberty to say what base) that are not a specific AFSC but a special identifier code attached to your standard AFSC they train to jump in and secure the air fields that the CC Guys set up.  just my .02 worth.
John    
View Quote

Dont the USAF still have a special Security Police Unit whos job is to secure and recover nuclear weapons that have gotten out of control?
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting (to me) that twice Air Force EM's have been photographed in uniform with stripes.
I don't yet understand what I don't know about this.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#22]
The Security police (now Security forces) usually deploys Teams from specific Bases that secure the area of a nuclear incident.  But we were always aided by the PJ's and CC guys.  If you are on a "priority A base"  The SP EST team(SWAT quick reaction what every you choose to call it today) team trains for these missions and do it quite well But I am very Biased About EST teams as far as the stripes on the uniforms we alyaws kept stripes on the uniforms it helps with the rest of the AF population not asking too many questions.  On our black uniforms we didn't have stripes.  On a EST team in the AF rank didn't really matter except for the Team commander spot if you were the point man your defense man might be a e3, e5, e7 or  any enlisted rank for that matter as long as you trained that way. any other AF questions I can try and answer?
john
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#23]
John, guess I was going back to an earlier war where finally everyone got rid of rank insignia.
(These guys were not in black.)
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I Know which war you are refering to I saw the Pics of the Tri colors with the stripes also. I am guessing with the few westerners on the ground in Afganistan Any would be a highly valued target not just the officers.  Alot of times these guys are operating on the ground without any officers.  They are all qualified to run the op themselves so If they lose a man they can Evac him out an continue on.
john
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Security police (now Security forces) usually deploys Teams from specific Bases that secure the area of a nuclear incident.  But we were always aided by the PJ's and CC guys.  If you are on a "priority A base"  The SP EST team(SWAT quick reaction what every you choose to call it today) team trains for these missions and do it quite well But I am very Biased About EST teams as far as the stripes on the uniforms we alyaws kept stripes on the uniforms it helps with the rest of the AF population not asking too many questions.  On our black uniforms we didn't have stripes.  On a EST team in the AF rank didn't really matter except for the Team commander spot if you were the point man your defense man might be a e3, e5, e7 or  any enlisted rank for that matter as long as you trained that way. any other AF questions I can try and answer?
john
View Quote

This sounds a bit like what my dad used to do as an AP (Air Policeman) in the USAF back in the '60's and '70's. He had to guard Minuteman and Bomarc (remember them??) sites and launchers. I remember him saying something about guarding missile launchers on rail cars in the US and W. Germany and said it was the scariest thing, as you never knew what was going to happen to a train on a lonely line or in a rail yard. And, yes, he had to serve in some sort of mobile capacity, going off-road in whatever vehicle they used back then. I don't know all that much about it, as it was many years ago and I was about 6-8 years old.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? It's not as hairy as the stuff that's going on now, but they surely felt zeroed in by the Soviets because of their proximity to the missiles.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#26]
95 It sounds very familiar.  My dad was an F4 pilot.  We lived in germany from 1981-1985 many nights he sat on aleart on a fully loaded nuclear armed F4.  The tension in then west germany was very noticable I haven't lived there since the wall has come down but I am sure it is better now.  John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top