Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I see M14's too!
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Carrying weapons with mags in the well?

Doubled mags with the second facing down?

Hmmmm[>:/]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#7]
That's why they started with the 1911's...we're cwazy [whacko]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if those Filipino soldiers know that they [b]can't[/b] carry enough heavy-ass 7.62x51 to be effective with those M14s? Maybe Chuck can square them away and get each of them an M16 [:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh, CRAP!  If the MNLF has started to heat up again, this isn't going to be a cakewalk, boys.

When they were first going into Jolo, they were just after the Abu Sayyef jerkwads, which are nothing more than thugs.

The MNLF boys play for keeps, and hold a hell of a lot more territory.  Watch for the crap to hit the fan in the PI, kids.
View Quote

jerkwads who've managed to keep 2 americans plus a bunch more locals hostage and evade the starwars guys for 6 months now. btw i've been trying to find out more one that area and the whole muslm situation over there, think you can help me, and no I can't afford a subscription to Jane's inteligence review hehe.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#11]
When a Filipino sees a camera, they make some weird faces.
I never knew they used Orlite's as well (I think that's what it is in the very last picture). I wonder hoe much M16's go for there. I'm sure my uncle has one (I fired his AK-47 while visiting family in the PI. First time I ever fired a firearm too!!! Should have seen the smile on my face).
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I have had the misfortune of being in the path of retreating MNLF barbarians when I was young and since then, I have always been prejudiced against muslims. I know that it is wrong for not all muslims are bad but my experience tells me that they could not be trusted. (look at how fast these a$$holes can change sides in Afghanistan)

In fact, I was offered a very good paying job in the Middle East by a US firm, [b]Bechtel[/b]  and I refused in fear that I may end up killing one of these SOBs or be killed myself. Have lots of fraternity brods who worked in Saudi, Oman, Bahrain and Iraq and they all told me that my decision may not be financially sane but it was a prudent one.

I hope that Nur Misuari and his cohorts are sent back to the Phils. and given swift justice. The same goes for the NPA and the Abu Sayyaf should they be taken in.

Sorry, just venting!

***edited for typos***
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Kalifornia,

Getting an M16 is not a problem there. Some military personnel sell some of their equipment when the govt. does not come through with their paychecks on a regular schedule.

All they have to do is go on patrol and "lose" the rifle in an "ambush or an encounter". They then retrieve these rifles and sell it in the blackmarket. The going rate depends on who you are, if you are someone who has "connections" or are politically influential, you can "acquire" M16 for much less than what a postban AR15 cost here.

When I went home last year to visit relatives and friends, an acquaintance offered to sell me an M16 with an M203 launcher like the one in this pic
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20011124/imdf24112001023215a.jpg[/img]
, some ammo/grenades for what is equivalent to $700.00.

Being a law-abiding individual, I told him to get that evil thing out of my face and he went his "merry" way.

I do not know why but I am looking forward to visiting my uncle back home next year.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#14]
If the Phillipine gov't requests direct US assistance in rooting out and putting down the Moros and Abu Sayyaf, should we get involved?

By "direct" assistance, I mean putting US troops in and shooting people.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Jarhead,

That would very much be appreciated but I think that for now, this is our fight.

Yes, this war has been raging on for decades but if the human-rights group, liberal politicians, the corrupt landowners, and the greedy logging companies will just let the army do its job, this would have been over long time ago.

I very well understand that the army right now is fighting with one hand tied to it's back because of political pressure from organizations and individuals who have vested interest on the war to continue.

Most logging companies prefer the turmoil so they can harvest more than their alloted quotas without fear of government audits. The corrupt politician who depend on these logging companies for their "funds" in turn create havoc/disorganization in the house of congress hence disabling it. Some landowners too are guilty because they tolerate the abuses of the NPA/MNLF as long as they leave their farms alone. This cause the human-rights group to scream foul and spew lies to the media which then blames the army for everything.

This is the BS that the Phil. army has to face everyday which is why morale is so low and loyalty to the flag comes after a full stomach.

I pray that one day, things will change ....
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#16]
riddler:

I'm not suggesting that we send in the Marines (again), I'm just asking if folks here would cry "Imperialism!" if we acted on a request from President Macapagal Arroyo to do so, should one come. I'd love to see countries all over the world get serious about cleaning out their own houses.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Jarhead,

As I have already said, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just feel that the root cause of the problem is inherently within the country and should be addressed first.

What I am trying to say is, [b]we (the Phils. as a country) must have the resolve to clean out our garbage ourselves [size=4]first[/size=4] before we ask someone to do it for us.[/b]

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Considering that we KNOW that Abu Sayyeff was in bin Ladens payroll and have two Americans they have been holding since May the apperance of a MEU/SOC at least in Jolo is highly likely.

Especialy in the new year, cause one of the Philippine Armies senior generals promised that the hostages would be free by Christmas.  If they are not, expect intervention.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#19]
ArmdLbrl,

I have some frat brods that are graduates of the PMA (Philippine Military Academy) who are commisioned officers and are currently assigned in Jolo and according to them, they could use all the help they can get.

Jolo for the most part is dominated by muslims. The military's main problem is that since they do not know who the enemy is, they have to treat everyone as a potential enemy. This in turn makes the local populace angry since they have to undergo random searches and sometime be suspected of being an Abu Sayyaf member. Hence they do not have any sympathy for the army.

Add to that fear of reprisals, gold and empty promises and you will have locals who definitely will make life hard for those hunting down these terrorists.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#21]

My dad works for Bechtel. He was offered jobs all over the globe. Luckily, we didn't move. He was assigned to go to the Gulf and see what they can do about the oil. Currently, he is in Vegas seeing what they can do about some secret stuff.
I can't wait to go back to the PI and see my uncle. He is a rich businessman there with lots of toys. Too bad I didn't know shit about guns back when I was there. I'll take pictures of his stash when I go. I bet he has lots more.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#22]
kpel,

For now, just keep my countrymen in your prayers.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top