Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Flaming in 57 minutes.  What's the record? (the thread, guys the thread)
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Now, when did the Jesus followers only rule come to pass?

When he was born?
When he died?
When he uttered the words: "I am the way the truth and the life, no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."?

It took a long time for those words to reach everyone.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Darn, Three posts on the same "religious" thread..I should shut up...

Ok, in my religious period, I was a fundamental Baptist!

I quit organized religion because of them when the Sunday school teacher used the word "nigger" in Sunday school class!

I decided that I could...oh no...think on my own and interpreted "Love thy neighbor, as thy self" much differently than they did apparently.

So I actually believe that if you hurt other people with your actions, then that's a sin.
Thus, I'm hellbound because of how I have treated some people in my life, even though I was "saved" as a baptist youth, etc. etc...

Mother Teresa, regardless of what any of us think, will probably be in Heaven if there is one.

I digress and sorry for mentioning the "B" word.[}:(]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Heh heh..
I always get a kick out of when people announce that they're going to Heaven.
As if they've figured out a formula.
View Quote

There is a formula.

Step 1: Steal underpants.
Step 2:
Step 3: Profit!

Oh wait, that's not it.

Step 1: Repent of your sins, as we are all sinners.

Step 2: Accept Jesus Christ as your personal saviour and be washed in his blood to be forgiven of your sins.  Note that this does not mean that you are prefect, only that you have recognized you are an imperfect sinner and have been forgiven for your sins.

Step 3: When you die, you figure out if your faith was in vain or not.  I'm resting upon the word of God, and he does not lie.

I'm surprised none of you intellectual types have brought up Pascal's Wager.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#5]
One man can one fornicate, rape, murder and blaspheme all his life, and then right before death accept Christ and ask his forgiveness.
Ticket to heaven.

Then on the other side of the globe is this nice little man who does nothing but good deeds for his entire life, but has never heard the Word.
To bad for him. Straight to hell.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When he was born?
When he died?
When he uttered the words: "I am the way the truth and the life, no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."?

View Quote

"Then he said unto them, O fools and slow of heart to beleive [b] all that the prophets have spoken[/b]

Ought not Christ to have suffered these things (crucifixion) and to have entered into his glory?

And beginning at Moses and all the prophets he expounded unto them in ALL the scriptures the things concerning himself."

Luke 24: 25 - 27

Its sounds kinda trite, but its still true - the Old Testament  saints looked forward to Christ in faith, we look back to Christ in faith.

Christ was NOT "born." his existence is ETERNAL.

His death was temporary, and ONLY in fulfillment of the Scriptures that He would rise from teh dead.

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I would gladly undergo a brutal and painful crucifixion, if at the end of it I was rewarded by becoming an all powerful God of the entire universe.

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One man can one fornicate, rape, murder and blaspheme all his life, and then right before death accept Christ and ask his forgiveness.
Ticket to heaven.
View Quote

The mercy of God is SO immense, taht he took a man responsibvle for killing hundreds of Chrstians, saved him, re-created him in Christ jesus, and then made him write 13 of teh books of the Bible. That's 20% for you math scholars out there

Then on the other side of the globe is this nice little man who does nothing but good deeds for his entire life, but has never heard the Word.
View Quote

God's justice is so complete that his standard for salvation is unchanging. But don't make teh mistake of thinking a little white lie is any less of aa sin in God's eyes than raping a woman.

While the earthly consequences are quite a bit different, BOTH sins separate a man from God.

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#9]
If all can be forgiven....

Is there no such thing as a mortal sin, then?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ticket to heaven.
View Quote

Proverbs 27:1-2 Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.

Then on the other side of the globe is this nice little man who does nothing but good deeds for his entire life, but has never heard the Word. To bad for him. Straight to hell.
View Quote

Romans 10:17-19 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

Meaning the good news coming from preachers, missionaries, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would gladly undergo a brutal and painful crucifixion, if at the end of it I was rewarded by becoming an all powerful God of the entire universe.

View Quote

He was ALREADY God before the crucifixion occurred. His resurrection from teh dead proved that.

But beyond that, your statement shows a lack of knowledge as to the spiritual aspects of what crucifixion was all about. It meant separation from God, something Christ had NEVER known.

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

God's justice is so complete that his standard for salvation is unchanging.
View Quote

How do you know this?
Maybe since the Book was written He has changed things slightly.  Isn't that in His realm?  Or do you think that he has no choice but to stick to what was in the book?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

He (Jesus) didn't come here to become God. He was God long before this world existed.

He came here to die for you, that you may have everlasting life. If you were the only one, he would have died for only you. That is how much he loves you and I. If it were for one...he would have still done it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

He was ALREADY God before the crucifixion occurred. His resurrection from teh dead proved that.

But beyond that, your statement shows a lack of knowledge as to the spiritual aspects of what crucifixion was all about. It meant separation from God, something Christ had NEVER known.

View Quote

I know that Chrstians often say "Jesus died for your sins".
Is that just an attempt to manipulate?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If all can be forgiven....

Is there no such thing as a mortal sin, then?
View Quote

"mortal sin" is more an extra-biblical Catholic thing, along with the idea of "venial" (less bad) sin.

Biblically, there is but ONE sin from which man cannot be forgiven - blaspheming the Holy Ghost.

The Bible doesn't say THAT much more about it, so I'll only say this to elaborate. The primary work of the Holy Ghost is to move mens hearts to acknowledge their sins, ands receive Christ as Saviour.

So, it would seem to indicate that if one were to fight against teh Holy Ghost, and despite His moving in their heart, they were to REJECT Christ, this would seem to be an acceptable defintion of what it is to "blaspheme the Holy Ghost." And it would indeed condemn men, once they died, to eternal hell.

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Knowing that he was God before, during and after the Crucifixion, makes it less impressive.

It makes it a show.
Pretend.
Symbolic, but not real.
He didn't "suffer", yet we are made to believe that he did, and that we should be grateful.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know that Chrstians often say "Jesus died for your sins".
Is that just an attempt to manipulate?
View Quote

No, it is an attempt to communicate the love of God.

"But God INITIATED His love toward us, in that, while we were still sinners, Chrsit died for us."

Romans 5:8

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#18]
1. Yep                                         2.Yep, cause my Lord and Savior said so.      3. Faith, its as simple as that
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#19]
How can He die?
If he was God, then he didn't die.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#20]
In my backyard, right next to my Anthrax trench, we are building a big ass tower and we're gonna just walk up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How can He die?
If he was God, then he didn't die.
View Quote

He came to earth in the form of man to die for us.

This also works to an advantage for us because when we pray, Jesus is at the right hand of the father interceding for us.
If you asked God the father for healing for your body, salvation, restoration, deliverance, financial break-through, etc, etc. even though he knows what you need and can supply your need, Jesus walked this earth and knows what it's like to live in our shoes and have the trials and problems we have here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In my backyard, right next to my Anthrax trench, we are building a big ass tower and we're gonna just walk up.
View Quote

Jack and the beanstalk...
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
1. Do you believe in a Heaven?

2. Do you think you're going there?

3. If you think you're going to Heaven, what makes you so sure?
View Quote

1.  Yes.  I believe in [b] a [/b] Heaven.

2.  Yes.  I am going to be in [b] my [/b] heaven.

3.  I will be in my heaven by my own will, because I will not have part in the Heaven filled by all the hypocitical assholes who will be in [b] their [/b] Heaven.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#24]
[b]Major-Murphy![/b] How can you be around all those religiously inspired Masterpieces all day long and not become similarly inspired?
Knowing that he was God before, during and after the Crucifixion, makes it less impressive.

It makes it a show.
Pretend.
Symbolic, but not real.
He didn't "suffer", yet we are made to believe that he did, and that we should be grateful.
View Quote

I would say that, knowing He was God, it was even more impressive what He did on that dark day in human history. How do you know He didn't suffer? A private revelation, perhaps?

Alfred Edersheim, a devout Jew turned Christian in the Nineteenth Century, in his classic two-volume set entitled 'The Life and Times of Jesus The Messiah', calls the descent from the Mount of Transfiguration to the Mount of Golgotha (or Calvary), the 'Humiliation' of the Messiah.

Imagine if you would, being stripped to a loincloth in front of the Supreme Court, and being made to suffer and die while curses rang in your ears from those who thought they were doing what the Lord wanted them to do. Not in some death house at some prison, but by a well-traveled road, with your Mother and closest relatives as witnesses.

And yet to do this willingly!

When Jesus calls from the Cross, [red][b]'Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani'[/b][/red] meaning [red][b]'My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken Me.'[/b][/red] He was not crying out for Elijah the Prophet, as some supposed, or even to His own Father, as many believe. He was calling attention to the opening lines of one of the most overlooked and neglected Psalms of them all!

The opening lines of Psalms 22, to be precise. Read it carefully and see if that is not a very accurate description of what King David must have been trying to convey of a method of death that was totally unknown to the Jews of 1000 BC, about the time that it was written!

Very clever, eh? I mean King David sneaking this little passage into his Psalms, just so a condemned man could use it a thousand years later!

Eric The(AndYouWonderWhyWeCallHimLord!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#25]
". How do you know He didn't suffer? A private revelation, perhaps?"

Parlor tricks.
He was on this earth wearing skin of a man....
...He was "slumming".
If He did suffer, it was part of the act.
You said it yourself, eric, even his apparently desperate cries of anguish were merely for show.

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I rarely get into discussions concerning religion but I must say that I truly feel sorry for all the non-believers that have posted here.
It is your choice to believe or not. Just do yourselves a favor and take time out of your busy day to have a serious discussion with yourself and God. For if the Plan of Salvation  IS true, wouldn't you rather be on the safe side?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ticket to heaven.

View Quote

It does seem to make morality irrelevant, doesn't it?  

There's also the case to consider of the man who is "saved", but then goes on to live a life of murder, dishonesty, and general immorality.  Is he still "saved"?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#28]
...grasping at straws, rationalizing, afraid of oblivion.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#29]
No for me. I'm gonna cheat the worms too and be cremated when I die.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I rarely get into discussions concerning religion but I must say that I truly feel sorry for all the non-believers that have posted here.
View Quote

Don't feel sorry.  It's not that bad.  Actually, I feel sorry for you because in my opinion you're living a lie.  I really pity those poor bastards that choose the Amish life style.  They've pissed away their lives thinking that some deity will give them a front row seat for living like cavemen.  Sigh... and they would say they pity me.  Laugh.  Wow... the irony of it all.

Just do yourselves a favor and take time out of your busy day to have a serious discussion with yourself and God. For if the Plan of Salvation  IS true, wouldn't you rather be on the safe side?
View Quote

GREAT POINT!  I forgot to mention this.  In my quest for the truth I encountered this comment from an alarming number of Christians.  The old "play it safe" sermon.  Wow... really, think about what you've just said.

Would you like to come home to your wife and explain to her that the only reason you're with her is because you're playing it safe?  That you really want to live the life of a bachelor but you're worried you might not find another woman who will have you... so you stick around as a safety measure.  What do you think your wife's response would be?  I've got a pretty good idea...

Do you think God is so naive as not to see through this ruse?  Do you really think he wants your worship if you're only doing it to "play it safe"?  If I were a God I certainly wouldn't want some monkey worshiping me for that reason.

It's amazing all the stuff I've read from supposed Christians on these threads.  I've read about one guy who applies "common sense" and derives his own interpretations of God's law... I've seen others telling me to worship their God as a safety measure... I've seen others blow-up and lash out at everyone -- condemning us all to Hell and bagging on all Christian denominations with which he wasn't affiliated.  

So many religions and idea's of God... yet everyone claims they know the truth... even though they can't even agree with their own kind.

Laugh... it would almost be comical if it wasn't so darn pathetic.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

When he was born?
When he died?

Jesus says you get to the Father through the Son. If you are taught about Jesus than you must go through Jesus to get to Heaven. There is no other way.

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ticket to heaven.

View Quote

You can do all of the wrong you want and then be saved by declaring you believe Jesus is your Savior. You are saved. It appears easy but you hear of few people doing it. We are not to judge one another.
   If the man on the other side of the world has not heard the Word but believes in God he will go to Heaven. We are not Saved by the good deeds we do. We do good deeds because we are saved.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ticket to heaven.

View Quote

It does seem to make morality irrelevant, doesn't it?  

There's also the case to consider of the man who is "saved", but then goes on to live a life of murder, dishonesty, and general immorality.  Is he still "saved"?
View Quote

I botched my last reply to this post. Yes, you go to Heaven if you declare Jesus is your personal Savior regardless of the life you have lived. None of us earn a place in Heaven.
   You only have to be saved once to go to Heaven. You can be saved and then sin and still go to Heaven.
    The person who never hears of Jesus but believes in God will go to Heaven. We are saved regardless of our works. We do good works because we are saved.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
". How do you know He didn't suffer? A private revelation, perhaps?"

Parlor tricks.
He was on this earth wearing skin of a man....
...He was "slumming".
If He did suffer, it was part of the act.
You said it yourself, eric, even his apparently desperate cries of anguish were merely for show.

View Quote

Jesus suffered as a human would but his pain was much worse. He was forsaken, nailed to a cross, speared, and took all of the sins of mankind to the cross with him. His cries were real. He had done nothing wrong.
    The beauty is that He rose from the dead.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#36]
1.  No, not heaven Valhala, the tooth fairy, Satan, Santa etc

2.  See number one.

3.  Ditto........
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#37]
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."    

Beer vs. Jesus

Top Ten Reasons Why Beer Is Better Than Jesus

1.  No one will kill you for not drinking Beer.
 2.  Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex
 3.  Beer has never caused a major war.
 4.  They don't force Beer on minors who can't think for themselves.
 5.  When you have a Beer, you don't knock on people's doors trying to give it away.
 6.  Nobody's ever been burned at the stake, hanged, or tortured over their brand of Beer
 7.  You don't have to wait 2000+ years for a second Beer.
 8.  There are laws saying Beer labels can't lie to you.
 9.  You can prove there is a Beer.
10.  If you've devoted your life to Beer, there are grups to help you stop.

[url]http://members.tripod.com/baccy/atheism.html[/url]          

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#38]
1. NO

2. YES

3. Because I'm going to make a deathbed conversion just in case I'm wrong.[}:D]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I belive there is a higher power. He shows himself to different cultures in differnet ways. He is not Catholic or Jewish or any of the many religions that populate this planet. He just watches over us and will judge us when we die.

I've been a good person, and have spent much time helping others.

When I die I hope I will be found to have lived a good life.

Av.
View Quote

exactly as i see it...i beleive in doing good things and helping people, because i like to. not because its going to get me into heaven. and ive read enought history to know that there is no "true" religion and all the rest are bogus. more people have died in the name of one god or another than for anything else. in my opinion organized religion is ripe for wacked out "leaders" to lead otherwise good people to do evil and bad things. IMHO
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Doesn't everyone who thinks they are destined for Heaven guilty of Pride, one of the Seven big no no's. Therefore they don't get to go.

I prefer the Catholic way, buy a gold ticket and you are in.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes
Yes
Jesus
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top