Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By turdferguson:

I carry a glock, and other than adding some big dot sights to it, it's stock. I never have any problems hitting targets with it, provided I use my fundamentals.

The trigger is fine if you use proper trigger control, the slide stop is just that, a stop, NOT a release, you are supposed to rack the slide after reloading, it's easier to do under stress, and it gives the slide more of a running start. The mag release is meant to be a little out of reach, you are meant to have to adjust your grip slightly to drop the mag, that way it doesn't pop out under stress.

Of course the sights suck, andthe grip angle, and size aren't ideal for some people, but that's why you try it on for size before you buy.

Unfortunately my large, freakish hands put just about every slide release within thumbs reach and the result is always a gun that never locks back on last shot.  I've been working on my grip a lot but damn....

BTW I've adopted the Larry Vickers approach of releasing the slide release with the weak hand while you insert the mag.  It is supper fast and easy.

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 4:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John_Wayne777] [#2]
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
We can pull triggers under stress, hit magazine buttons under stress, retrieve a new magazine under stress, and insert a relatively square peg into a slightly larger square hole under stress, but when it comes time to drop the slide we suddenly lose our minds and are unable to hit a lever? I think not. That's just a bunch of gun magazine BS that's been repeated endlessly as fact, and as such lots of people who don't know any better regurgitate it as fact.

THANK YOU.

About time we started giving ourselves a little freaking credit...

I took 2 HG classes this past Summer, and in both I did what the instructor told us to do, but I honestly can't remember consciously changing a magazine. I either did it during breaks (administrative reload) or pretty much subconsciously when I ran it dry during a drill...

I DID however catch myself using an either/or method, whichever got the slide shut with a round in the chamber faster... (which amounted to the slingshot method when using a 1911, and the slide stop with a SIG).
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The freakin sights on a Glock cover the entire target.  It's like aiming with a pancake.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By macman37:
(which amounted to the slingshot method when using a 1911, and the slide stop with a SIG).

...which makes you some sort of freak. Generally it's the other way around.

Has to do with where the slide release/stops are for my hands more than anything I think.

I've spent hours in my basement with each figuring out which works as automatically as possible for me.

One thing I learned: A staggered-column mag is way easier to insert quickly than a single stack. Yeah, Obvious stuff is obvious.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HoustonHusker:
I came to my conclusion that the G19 is the best overall 9mm in the world.  Sure, there are great ones out there, but the 19 is the one 9mm I'll own and use now.

HH

I don't know about best 9mm in the world, but Lumpy has called the G19 the "thinking man's Glock."

High praise indeed.

I definitely think it's the most versatile handgun on the market.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Timely thread resurrection.  I am picking up my first Glock (19) on Friday.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I put in ghost 3.5's on my Glocks

(another shameless antiarchive bump)
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By usp45c:
I put in ghost 3.5's on my Glocks

(another shameless antiarchive bump)

Glocks are worth bumping.

Link Posted: 2/19/2010 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery:
People still don't understand a slide stop is not used as a slide release.................Then claim since they can't use it that way, it's the gun's fault.
IIRC the Glock manual even says it can be released via what they call a slide release, not a slide stop.

Yes it "may," but hasn't everyone here with any real training learned to keep their damn thumbs away from the stop/release????????  I haven't touched this device on any of my handguns in 18 years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the XS sights, the small dot version. I don't have them on my 19's yet. What night sights sights offer quick aquisition as the XS?
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Last 3-gun match, my G17 delivered 8 hits on 8 targets with 8 shots, being run by an out-of-practice shooter.

Truly a "Grab-&-Go" weapon
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 11:27:02 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 12:10:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Oneiros] [#16]
1.  Whoever modified their Glock like in the above picture is retarded.  Just because you're not used to a gun, doesn't mean it doesn't function well.  There's a difference between not being able to shoot a gun well and just not being able to shoot without applying the same outmoded formula of slapping as many aftermarket parts are you possibly can on a gun in the name of "improvement," probably something that guy learned from many years of shooting and owning 1911's.

2.  I have a shitload of Glicks (12+), I carry one daily.  I only trust Glocks with my life.

3.  I experienced a bit of "Glock shock" as mentioned when I bought a bunch of used police academy Glocks for dirt cheap.  3/7 of them had cracked slides (they were G17's).  These look like they had LITERALLY 500k+ rounds through them.  You just had to see them to believe it.  Also, all the sights on the cracked slide guns were drifted, to compensate for shooting off because the slide was cracked.  They actually trained on these guns with the slides cracked and probably never even notice, other than suddenly they started shooting to the left!  They probably thought they shot out the barrels or something.

Anyway, I sent these Glocks back to Glock, and they sent me back brand new third gen refubs.  Since they only had one G17 refurb in stock (which was NIB, it was amazing), they said I could pick other models for them to send me back in lieu of more 17's.  So I chose a G26 and a G29, those arrived in almost but not quite NIB condition.  I carry the G29 daily.  

Needless to say, my Glock shock vanished when I witnessed Glock's customer service.  You just cannot beat it.  For barely 300 bucks shipped (what I paid per used g17), I was sent three basically brand new refurbs.  I later traded the G17 to a member on here for a similar condition G20.  

Ask me about the LNIB G21 (3rd gen) I got for 275 shipped!

Love Glocks.  

I am getting to the point where I want to branch out in guns more.  I have all the calibers I really want in Glocks now that I have 10mm, and I've been drooling over a nice 1911 (double stack only), Hi-Power, or CZ.  

I doubt I'll cease carrying Glocks daily any time soon.  I do carry other guns every once in awhile if I've shot them and know they're reliable with the ammo I'm carrying in them just for novelty, but even when I do that, 9 times out of 10 I still keep my Glock in my pocket as a backup, in case that fails.

Some of my friends can't stand that I think Glocks are more reliable than H&K's.  

Then again most people can't stand that I think AK's are more reliable than AR's, either.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2010 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#17]
WOW! Well written and well worth reading, thanks J_W!
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 12:38:04 AM EDT
[#18]
More threads about "improving" a Glock.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2010 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a 22 gen 1 - it was accurate but the trigger-eeeccchhh.

The Austrian Staplegun.

I got a Sig instead.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Has anybody tried the mini red dot type sight yet?
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#22]
nobodies used a mini red dot?
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#23]

check back in a year

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I know some people have. I couldn't find any easy reference pictures. I bought a aimpoint micro base for a glock from larue, only ti find I had locktighted my aimpoint onto my larue rifle mount, so no joy there. I think I'll probably just get the slide milled and a Triji RMR mounted.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By flyfishnepa:

check back in a year

Thread dedication.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#26]
The only reason anyone hates Glocks is because they are so hooked on Colt they won't give them a chance.
As someone who owned a Glock first, the grip angle of the 1911 seemed to suck when I first held one.
I first owned a Remington 870.  The Mossberg seemed to suck.
My wife's Honda sucks because it isn't what I'm used to.  

Some people are too closed minded.  To each their own.  
As far as I'm concerned, you are better served to learn as many different types of firearms as possible.
I felt pretty stupid when I was first handed a 1911 and I didn't know how to operate the safety.

People who don't own Glocks and poke fun of the polymer frame....  
Funny how Colt had problems with their Delta, but Glock didn't have problems with their Model 20.
The glass filled Nylon 66 frame has proven itself, as has the Tenifer treatment on the slide/barrel.  
The overall design has proven itself, or it wouldn't be copied as much as it is.

Those who shout the loudest about the bad grip angle of the Glock...  
the only thing I can figure is the shooter has little lady hands and can't get their fingers around a double-stack magazine.
If that is the case, stick to a single stack gun.  But your shortcoming isn't a fault of the firearm.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had a G23 w/night sights since 1995.  The only thing I ever did to alter it was to put one of those Hogue grip adapters on.  This pistol is a champ, and shoots extremely well.  I'm thinking about getting a twin in Gen III, just because.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I have shot and owned HK, M&P pistols..
Sold them all and only shoot/ carry Glocks now.

YMMV

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#29]
wow necro-thread!
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I am a die-hard 1911 guy, and even I have to admit...

I'm loving my new M&P 9mm!

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:33:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John_Wayne777] [#31]
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#32]

check back in a year

I did
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#33]
OST before it drops off to Archives
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Good catch!
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I approve of this pro-Glock thread.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Holy crap.   I was about to ask if JW777 had tried a fourth gen with the new, bigger mag releases.    I didn't realize this thread was more than four years old.

Fourth gen goodness.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By USMC88-93:
informative

<––––––––-Considering Glock 21SF and 30SF purchase.

Had an M&P45. Hated it. Traded it for a new G21SF. Love it.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By RetroRevolver77:

Show me another 15 round polymer frame pistol as compact as a Glock 19. Most are close but none are as compact overall. The Glock is an excellent pistol with tons of upgrades available.

better trigger, much better grip (thinner and better angle), Points like a Luger P-08, nice sites, drop free mags.  Steyr M9 > Glock.

Link Posted: 2/4/2013 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#40]
BTT
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 4:36:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chapperjoe] [#41]
I am falling in love with mine.
After accepting some of the worst advice from a notorious web personality I went m&p which didn't work out.
this time I got a gen 3 new, had boresight solutions put on trijicon HD sights, gave me a trigger job, vickers mag and slide release.
this thing is BUTTER.
It needs a grip reduction, but even now it's butter.

the gen 4 mag release did nothing to help my small fingers release a mag.
the gen 3 with a vickers was perfect.

ETA: glock 17. got it from knesek right before the madness began.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By l1s1k:

check back in a year

Thread dedication.

Dammit, I'm late

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I like the ergos of the M&P but the stock trigger is worse compared to the Glock trigger, which I have always been fine with.

I am unwilling to spend another $100+ on aftermarket parts to improve the M&P trigger.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Honestly, I've not read but about 1/2 of this thread. This I can say, this thread is about %50 fail, and %50 win.

My thoughts:

Glocks are good handguns.  They are simple, really.  An idiots gun.  Just like an AK family of rifles it takes minimal training, maintenance, and expertise to use. Are they best? Nah, no such thing, really.  I think in many cases we have people that have been struck with the "band wagon" effect, and that is a bit silly and sad, really.  I think there are a lot of Glock fan boi's who saw someone shoot or heard someone rave about the Glock (and they themselves heard/saw the same), about how Glock is the "best", etc.  If more people knew anything about how Glock markets their pistols and what they do in situations when they are competing for a contract, their tastes may sour a bit on the Glock company.  Those with any knowledge of the ag machinery and implement markets from the 1970's and 1980's will understand what I'm referring to when I draw parallels between Glock and John Deere, they both did and still are doing things a bit shady but still legal.  Sad but true.  I've owned a few Glocks over the years and always ended up selling them because I've never really drank the kool-aid, they just were not my thing.  To each their own.

This I do know: if I were in administration of a LEO department and I had final say on duty handguns, Glock would be ruled out as an option.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I think this goes here?
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I have an H&K USP 9, S&W m&p 9, S&W 459, Kimber ultra carry II 45, XD45, 2 G19's, ruger GP100, S&W 586, colt anaconda, and a couple of ruger mk3 .22's.

I cannot shoot better than any of them than my stock G19's. They just work for me and I trust them with my life.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 4:12:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#48]
necro, neCRO, NECROPOST!!!

JW77:  What are your thoughts on either the OEM beavertail or the Grip force adapter for the Gen 4?  I get glock bite pretty bad and have just picked up a Gen 4 (used, so no OEM beavertail was included).  Also, what mods would make to the Gen 4 (I'm planning on the 3.5# connector, but is the mag release necessary)?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Can't believe this thread is still alive.

I'm going to have to do an updated writeup of what I'm doing to my new Gen 4 G34.
View Quote

I'll be here next year to.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top