Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The 19 is OK - but the grip is too short.

Last time I used it for IDPA, I tried to shove the palm of my hand into the magwell while reloading about 3 different times.

Ouch.

Left 3 obvious blood blisters.

I like my 17 much better.

I'll keep the 19 for MTBing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My daily carry gun is a Glock 36 with a grip reduction(I have small hands), a 3.5# connector and New York trigger spring.  I also replaced the serrated trigger face with a smooth one off of a Glock 17 trigger.  It has Meprolight night sights as well.  It shoots very nicely for me with 230 grain Ranger SXT.

I also have a 3rd generation Glock 19 that has the finger grooves removed(they don't fit my hand).  I believe the 9mms are the best Glocks and everyone should have a Glock 19.

There is also a bone stock Glock 23 with factory night sights in the safe.

I am not all that fond of Glocks compared to some other brands or types of pistols, but I recognize their utility and ease of maintenance.  I trust my life to the one I carry.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never been a fan of polymer or striker fired pistols.  If I had to pick a favorite polymer pistol this would be it.

I like Glocks but they don't fit me ergonomically and I'm not a big fan of the trigger within a trigger thing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had a G19 for a couple of months now and after about 300 rounds I have no complaints.

This from a confirmed 1911 junkie.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#6]
i just brought three new G19 15-rd mags and i don't even have a G19 YET
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
We've all probably seen the torture video by Big Bore (I think that was him) here on this site.

In my opinion, putting any other type/brand handgun through the same abuse that that Glock took would yield vastly different results. The other handguns wouldn't even come close to keeping up.

If I'm wrong, I would love to see proof of any other handgun design going through all of the same tortures that Glock 21 went through.

Link Posted: 11/10/2008 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#8]
bump

HH
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Really liked the grip angle of the XD and M&P better. I have a Glock because I was able to get ten
LE marked (but who cares) drop free hi-caps from CDNN last summer for about 130 bucks plus shipping.
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
bump

HH
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of improvement can a make to a Glock to make it... how you say... less UGLY?

Oh... I know...

Link Posted: 12/9/2008 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
GL 23 Owner and damn proud of it! I would also love to have the 10 mm version...

Maybe Santa will bring one for Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By glock223:
We've all probably seen the torture video by Big Bore (I think that was him) here on this site.

In my opinion, putting any other type/brand handgun through the same abuse that that Glock took would yield vastly different results. The other handguns wouldn't even come close to keeping up.

If I'm wrong, I would love to see proof of any other handgun design going through all of the same tortures that Glock 21 went through.

+1 - that's all that needs to be said about a glock, no other gun would even touch the glock in these torture tests.
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bigbore:
Originally Posted By flyfishnepa:

+1 - that's all that needs to be said about a glock, no other gun would even touch the glock in these torture tests.

The point isn't would any other gun survive the tests - the Point Is would any other ONE gun, survive all the tests, over several years, and over 100K rounds later, still be a reliable, functional weapon.  People have sent me clips where theit new brand "X" pistol was frozen in ice, or run over, but without the whole series of events its not the same. I'm sure there are many guns that would do fine, but I dont believe any other brand would hold up as well, as long as a Glock.  I say this as a person who carries a 1911. I have no love for Glocks, but appreciate them for what they are.

You're the reason I bought my G21sf.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I would put up a SIG to go up against the Glock. The only place where the SIG is inferior is rust resistance on older models.
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 10:02:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#17]
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 10:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#18]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
Another thing I don't get. I trash my .45 and .40 Glocks as bad as my 9mm Glock. They all come through it fine. I see shooters all over the competition world with the same result.

There's a well documented list of issues with Glocks in other calibers. The LAPD, for instance, deauthorized Glock 21's as sidearms because of some serious issues they were seeing in their department. Glock has supposedly fixed those issues with a redesigned trigger bar.

The Indiana State Police had major issues with their attempt to transition to .40 caliber Glocks and eventually went with 9mm Glocks and seem to be pretty happy with them. Then, of course, you have the issue with rail mounted lights on the .40 caliber guns that have plagued a number of departments.

The contention that the .40's and the .45's aren't as good as the 9mm versions has ample backing. For a hard use reliable weapon out of the box your best bet is with a G17 or a G19. Can you get a .40 or .45 that serves your purposes just fine? Absolutely...but your best bet for long term reliability and durability is going to be the G17 or G19.

I was thinking of the G20, but I do agree that the 17 and 19 deserve legendary status with the G20.  I am actually going to buy a G19 very soon.

<––––––  Big hands, not fat though and I don't have an issue with bite on any of the full size pistols that I have shot a lot. (G17, G20, G21)

Great writeup, JW!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 11:53:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Custom-X_Sponjah] [#19]
Slide bite, I just fail to see how it can be an issue. I to have spent a lot of time behind a Glock and just don't understand how someone's grip can be so bad as to get cut by the slide.

CXS
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DLoken:
I would put up a SIG to go up against the Glock. The only place where the SIG is inferior is rust resistance on older models.

OK, start by dropping the fully loaded Sig onto the pavement from 20' up,  4 times.

The Glock survived fine, but the cartridges(case and bullet) impacted so hard they were flattened on the side. The Glock frame flexed and absorbed the impact. I have no faith your aluminum frame would fare as well.  Report back when you have pics and video.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/glock/dentedrounds.jpg

Yeah, I'd LOVE to see the Sig do that . . .
Link Posted: 2/20/2009 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Smith and Wesson M&P 9 works for me straight out of the box.  Just picked up some more mags for mine.  I truly tried to like the Glock to no avail.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:46:47 AM EDT
[#22]
The only mod needed for a Glock is night sights.  The rest is a joke.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#23]

OK, start by dropping the fully loaded Sig onto the pavement from 20' up,  4 times.

The Glock survived fine, but the cartridges(case and bullet) impacted so hard they were flattened on the side. The Glock frame flexed and absorbed the impact. I have no faith your aluminum frame would fare as well.  Report back when you have pics and video.

Why would anyone throw a perfectly good sig sauer finest combat handgun in the world off a building, much less four times?

How are you going to shoot an assailant with your handgun if you've thrown it off the building?

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#25]
My glock 22 is my favorite, most shot handgun I own. But as well as it fits my hand, my M&P fits it better. I am really starting to like this pistol
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RetroRevolver77:
Show me another 15 round polymer frame pistol as compact as a Glock 19. Most are close but none are as compact overall. The Glock is an excellent pistol with tons of upgrades available.

+1

Didn't Larry Vickers say something to the effect that "we're living in a Glock world and people need to deal with that"?

The M&P is a very nice pistol, but the stock trigger overtravel (at least on mine) is a bigger problem than the stock triggers I've had on my Glocks.  Also, the muzzle snap on the M&P is worse, and I can't fire it as quickly and accurately as a Glock 17.  When Advantage Arms comes out with a 22LR conversion kit so I can train on the M&P without blowing through 2,000 rounds of 115 grain, please let me know.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#27]
some like FORDS some like Chevy's . Here is a LONG WINDed  FWIW.
  Driving M1's, AR's AK's, Mossberg's, Rem's, Colt's, 1911's and so on for 40 years. Now I'm no pro, just a hobby shooter who is getting old. Listened to my smart buddy's tell me what a POS the Glock's are for a LONG time. Stupid me. Gun's are tools. Different one's are good for different things. Anyone want to start an AR AK fight. Both sides have good points. Get tired of hearing the all Glocks are shit stuff. I have only 2 now. But they do exactly what they are supposed to do and they do it very well, are unbelievably durable and well supported in the industry. Not telling eveyone to go out and buy one. But be careful about heeding bad press.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Dloken, you deserve a SIG
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Thurman_Murman_74:
I've never shot a worked 1911, so I don't know how good they can really get.

It's sort of like the difference between driving a 1984 Chevy Monte Carlo and a brand new Corvette.

But what if you don't like new Corvettes? Had to say it. A friend of mine builds tuned 1911s as a hobby, I buy stock 1911s and may or may not do some improvements. Never have cared fr Glocks. I just can't make myself like a polymer framed pistol, even though they're proven to last. I pick one up and feel like I'm going to break it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#31]

.although right now you can't buy one for a Glock either. I've been backordered since November.

No joke, I can not believe how scarce the AA conversions kits have been.

Also, just a heads up, Tactical Solutions will be making a .22 conversion kit for the M&P line. ( I sort of hope they make one for the Glock too.)

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Shameless bump for a great thread.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Arcteryx:
The only mod needed for a Glock is night sights.  The rest is a joke.

All those thousands of people who have grip work done HAVE to be wrong, right?

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/sitebuilder/images/glock_17_SG-400x275.jpg

No.  They just purchased the wrong model.  That's a Gen 1 right there.  Silly people.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Originally Posted By Custom-X_Sponjah:
Slide bite, I just fail to see how it can be an issue. I to have spent a lot of time behind a Glock and just don't understand how someone's grip can be so bad as to get cut by the slide.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/IMG_0886-Copy.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/IMG_0896.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/IMG_0890.jpg

CXS

Quit eating your fingernails.

Sorry Dad.. I bite them off, but don't eat them..

CXS
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I never have any of these "Glock Problems" with my 17, 19 and issued 21SF.  But then again, I don't have any of those AR-15 problems talked about so readily either........... wonder what I'm doing wrong?
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice write up John Wayne_777. I concur with your findings.

I love all firearms and enjoy shooting a variety of makes/models of handguns and long guns. With that said, even though I own a variety of different firearms,  I choose to carry a G19 as my concealed carry weapon of choice. Mine is a 2nd generation G19 that I have added the following items to, in order to make it work for me:

1) Trijicon Grn/Grn sights
2) 3.5lb connector
3) NY1 trigger spring - I broke the original trigger spring at about the 38k round count mark. I don't like Mr. Murphy, and I think the NY1 spring will keep him away from what I consider the "weak" area of the Glock action.
4) Extended slide release from a G34/G35
5) Lone Wolf stainless steel recoil spring and guide

I tend to carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P as my carry round of choice.

A few years back, I borrowed every G17/19 magazine I could from various friends and family. We loaded up 1k of ammo of all makes, grains, projectile types, manufacturers etc. We put all the ammo in to one big pile and just loaded up magazines with a mixture of them all. The magazines were all different generations with different followers, etc. It did not matter. In the end, we had 1,000 empty cases laying on the ground and a very warm G19 that was ready to take more. I then proceeded to take the G19 to the range for 2 more sessions without cleaning it after the 1k round test. All in all, I think we had roughly 1400 rounds through the pistol without a cleaning and it just kept on going.

Is the Glock perfect? No. It is a machine made by man, and therefore prone to breaking. In my experience, it has served me extremely well. With that said, I am now an owner of a M&P45 that has grown on me. I love this pistol. My only problem is that the price of ammo keeps me from shooting it like I did the G19 back when ammo was affordable (and available!) I would like to see the M&P line continue to grow and make inroads on Glock in the police market. I think it serves all of us well to have an American manufacturer be competitive and strong in the market.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 3:03:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Archive bump from new Glock owner.

Already have a Ghost 3.5lb connector on the way.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 3:22:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Glock 26 + Trijicons + 3.5# connector = me very happy

Same for my Glock 19.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#42]

interesting post. i'll add my experience and .02 here i guess:

regarding the plastic stock sights - they blow ass. why anyone would ever outfit a real gun with fake sights is beyond me. that said, i've never really cared because there hasn't been a pistol i've bought in the last 10 years that i didn't get with trijicons on it. to me, getting a new pistol WITHOUT a good set of factory-installed nightsights is like buying a new car without power door locks. sure, the companies make them, but power door locks have become an industry standard that make the end product more functional with nearly no additional cost.

regarding the glock kool-aid - i tried. i tried so fucking hard to hate glocks. i tried with HK's. i tried with walthers. i tried with 1911's. i tried with CZ's. in the end i've slowly traded or sold off most of my other pistols and replaced them with 9mm glocks because...

regarding ergonomics - apparently glocks were made for my hands. there are and were other pistols that felt better from a purely my-hand-is-on-this perspective, but the glocks just FIT me better (i have medium-sized hands with long fingers). the controls are where i want them, the grip size is where it needs to be, and the bore axis and grip angle are tailor made for me. the end result is that i can shoot a subcompact glock quicker and more accurately than i can with fullsized models of other brands. that was what originally hooked me.

regarding accuracy - i'm no bullseye shooter. i'll never be one no matter how hard i try. that said i'm above average in the accuracy department and i'm quick to boot. i've found the glock to be more accurate than other pistols *for me* because of how well they fit me. from a generic standpoint though, i don't believe golcks to be necessarily any more or any less accurate than other modern autopistol. excepting "match" versions of pistols that are available, most autopistols are on pretty level-ground in the accuracy department.

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#43]
1911 FTW!
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#44]
The G26 is my favorite Glock handgun.

When I get serious I'll strap a Glock 19 + 26 combo.  26 in an ankle rig with spare mag, 19 in a IWB with 2 more spare mags.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I have 3 Glock 19's now and love them.

HH
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 3:28:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Old_Painless] [#46]
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Old_Painless:
The G26 is my favorite Glock handgun.

One thing that surprised me about the Model 26, was that I expected, with the short barrel, short sight radius, and short grip, with my pinky hanging off the grip, that I would not shoot the 26 as well as larger Glocks.

Much to my surprise, I shoot it just as well.  I can't explain it.

The 26 is nice, the 27 however...
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Spend a little more and get an HK. Got an HK45 ( not usp) and love it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I carry a glock, and other than adding some big dot sights to it, it's stock. I never have any problems hitting targets with it, provided I use my fundamentals.

The trigger is fine if you use proper trigger control, the slide stop is just that, a stop, NOT a release, you are supposed to rack the slide after reloading, it's easier to do under stress, and it gives the slide more of a running start. The mag release is meant to be a little out of reach, you are meant to have to adjust your grip slightly to drop the mag, that way it doesn't pop out under stress.

Of course the sights suck, andthe grip angle, and size aren't ideal for some people, but that's why you try it on for size before you buy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2009 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By yaardbyrd:

Dloken, you deserve a SIG

Just "sayin"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpl0ZJkikNA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgjmtj9TgX8&feature=related
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top