Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2001 5:05:43 PM EDT
This came up as a tangent in another thread, but I was wondering what the general feeling is.

In a home defense or tactical (eg warrant service) sitaution, with potential indoor discharge of 5.56 or 12 guage, do you favor
a) no hearing protection
b) electronic/active hearing protection (eg peltor, pro ears, etc) or
c) regular muffs/plugs.

I thought b was a no-brainer, and I assume c will not be very popular, but I am curious.    
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming you mean 5.56mm.

In a home defense situation, I'm not going to take the time to put on ears. It's just not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
In a home defense situation, do what you gotta do, as soon as possible...DON'T freakin fumble around in the dark at 3am putting on your silencios while badguy #1 and #2 are finding their way to your, or your kids, room! Your ears might ring, but that'll be the least of your concerns if people start firing.

On the other hand, if you're serving a warrant, I'd say to use electronic protection... gives you all the advantages.  If you're preparing for a potential fight, then you're right, electronic muffs are a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I've fired an M16A2 a few times without hearing protection, including inside small rooms and inside a vehicle, the ringing in my ears went away after about 3 days.

If someone is trying to kill you hearing loss is the least of your worries. I do keep a set of Peltors on top of the bedroom gun cabinet though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#5]
In a home defense situation you won't even hear it!  The adrenaline will be rushing through your body so fast, you won't even know it went "bang"!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top