Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2001 5:43:08 AM EDT
Muzzle breaks make the AR15 significantly louder.
1)What actually is their practical affect?
2)Does the length of a muzzle break make a difference in noise or practical affect?
3)Does the practical affect outweigh the excessive noise generated?
4)Is there a particular brand of muzzle break that is considered better than others?

Thanks,
DocK
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
i currently own a VenRam, Clark, Smith, and a Berquist. they are all loud as hell. practical affect is lack of perceived recoil. i use them on race rifles that i 3 gun shoot with and to me the best comp is the one that has the least effect on my dot (Aimpoint) when fired. to me the winner is the Berquist which you can get through Brownells....Dick
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I try to stay away from brakes and ported barrels completely I hate the extra noise that comes with them.  That said IMO the only practical place for them is on competition guns.  Last fall I bought a Marlin .444P Outfitter, I figured the relatively low operating pressures of the .444 cartridge would'nt cause it to be too loud.  WRONG!  If you were to shoot at a critter wiht it you had better kill it dead because you damn sure won't be able to hear it!
Edited cause I can't spell
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't understand why so many put a muzzle brake on a .223. I just don't have trouble keeping the rifle down, plus in my shorty AK, the sound is totally damaging.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
DocK, muzzle brakes do keep sight disturbance to a minimum while shooting fast. They are particularly useful on lighter guns like the M4. Use of optics increases the need for a muzzle brake. Some brakes do seem louder than others but they are all loud. Let's face it though, a plain barreled carbine is so damaging to your hearing that I wonder if the braked gun is really any worse! I've used or been exposed to the AK, Smith, Y comp and Wilson. Of these the Wilson seemed not much louder than a plain muzzle. The others are very loud! The Wilson is also a downright decent flash suppressor(!), the others can't touch it in this regard. All brakes help protect the muzzle crown from damage. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen Wilson mentioned a bunch of times.  Could someone post a link to a site that has pictures of this or who sells them..  TIA
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Brakes can cut recoil significantly but the noise factor should be payed little attention as one should always wear hearing protection.  I know this may not be possible an tactical situations but when shooting under life/death circumstances adrenaline often causes auditory exclusion and the noise of gunshots becomes less of a factor.  If you are forced to fire a .223 indoors you can expect hearing damage in most cases regaurdless of compensators. For recoil reduction try a cyclic rate reducer available from Brownells.
PS. Smith enterprises offers a brake that profiles the same as an A2 but has a closed end.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2001 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#8]
VenRam?  Are those cheaper than the RemVans?  I'm looking forsomething for my MushBaster. [;)]
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
BRAKES DO WORK, BUT I LIKE FLASH SUPPRESSORS, WHY BECAUSE THE MORE UNCLE SAM WANTS TO BAN THEM THE MORE I WANT TO BUY THEM.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 4:30:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Great discussion....and I need more answers..
What is the least noisy add on available.
I have a new Olympic arms PCR-5 with their Brake
on it and last week a guy was firing a shot gun
and my weapon was just as loud.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#12]
EH?  SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#14]
What Paul said! Let me add the camp is pretty evenly divided----You either love them or hate them. I like the way they look and work. I also like the way they move other shooters away from my shooting area. Noise is a non-issue with me. I shoot 2 50BMG rifles. Everything else sounds like a 22.I wear North SonicII inserts and Peltor Tactical 7 muffs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Agreed, brakes only make it SOUND louder. All the same gasses are still there, but now they are coming back to you and other shooters rather than more of it going down range.

AR-15, muzzle rise?? What are y'all talkin about? I have a 14.5" preban M4, basically gov't issue. It weighs near nothing. I can drop mags through that thing like sh!t through a goose and keep them all on target. I know this because I have done it many times before. Hell, I've done it with a machine gun before. I also have a 15 lb sniper setup AR that has near zero muzzle rise. With a bipod I have double-tapped silouette targets from 500 yards. Offhand I can still keep targets in my scope during firing.

The .223 round has such insignificant force that you don't need a muzzle brake. If you are getting pushed around by an AR then you are doing something wrong in my opinion. Only thing a brake does for an AR is make it more uncomfortable for other shooters and give you a little something on the end of your barrel.

Fire suit on [@:D]
[pyro]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the Wilson Combat MB on one of my postbans. Its actually too effective. It pushes the muzzle down and to the right with every shot.
Its not as loud as the BM AK74-type brake though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the www.wilsoncombat.com MB and I am real pleased with it. The quietest brake is the DPMS Levang available from them, Brownells and I am sure several other sources. This works surprisingly well and is as quiet as no comp IMO. It works as a Brake and makes a pretty good flashhider. Check it out. I have one I will sell for 20/00. Its not as good as some of the others but it is the quietest.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a BM Shorty AK because it was a good price, not because it had a brake.  In my experience, the Shorty AK is no louder than the 16" Shorty Carbine (to me, the shooter).  The people on either side of me, however, aren't so lucky. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top