Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2001 10:32:16 AM EDT
They went into Kabul after we told them not to. They told the British SAS to get out of the country, except a few guarding relief workers. Their president just rolled into Kabul to set up shop. What happens to a dog that keeps biting the hand that feeds it?
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 10:35:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 10:54:31 AM EDT
Highly doubtful. Frankly I don't give a rat's what they do. They can take Kabul, set up some tribal chieftan as president, and ask our groundforces to bug out as much as they like. As long as they set up a system that's not as cozy with terrorists as the Taliban, the US interests are met.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 1:09:23 PM EDT
Give it about 5 years and they will become our "enemies" just like Hussein, Noriega, et al.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 1:43:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2001 1:38:41 PM EDT by ECS]
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: Give it about 5 years and they will become our "enemies" just like Hussein, Noriega, et al.
View Quote
True enough.. As a country we probably need to just plan on needing to do this sort of thing [i]somewhere[/i] every 5-10 years....
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 1:48:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ECS:
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: Give it about 5 years and they will become our "enemies" just like Hussein, Noriega, et al.
View Quote
True enough.. As a country we probably need to just plan on need to do this sort of thing [i]somewhere[/i] every 5-10 years....
View Quote
It is unfortunate that we can't just take care of the whole job now, once and for all... Unfortunately, to accomplish that, we'd have to turn Afghanistan into a molten glass parking lot.... Someday, I'll bet Mr and Mrs Average America will be clamoring for this very thing, esp. after the next big terror atack on the USA, whatever that might be, God forbid.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 2:07:38 PM EDT
We need to just take it over and make it USA II Annex. Let Trump, Wynn, Kikorkian and Schrager go in there and build some Palm Springs type resorts with a bunch of Robert Trent Jones, Arnie Palmer and Golden Bear golf courses and call it even.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 2:31:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Green_Furniture: We need to just take it over and make it USA II Annex. Let Trump, Wynn, Kikorkian and Schrager go in there and build some Palm Springs type resorts with a bunch of Robert Trent Jones, Arnie Palmer and Golden Bear golf courses and call it even.
View Quote
Yeah.. you wouldn't even have to worry about sand traps once we turn it all to glass! Fucking NUKE THE ANIMALS NOW!
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 2:52:50 PM EDT
View Quote
Yep. And then there will be more calls for intervention, despite the fact that it never has worked, and has massive evidence of failure. You know the saying: "Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it."
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:15:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By libertyof76:
View Quote
Yep. And then there will be more calls for intervention, despite the fact that it never has worked, and has massive evidence of failure. You know the saying: "Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it."
View Quote
Imbroglio, I think the US will start to regret our misplaced "trust" in the Northern Alliance/"United Front" about next summer. Our SOFs will train and arm them to the teeth this winter (while we continue to bomb and weaken the Taliban). The mop-up operations will take place next spring. And the NA will start to get arrogant and give the US the "finger" about early summer (after they've consolidated control of the country). DaMan
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:21:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer: i don't think they are any better than the taliban. They hate us as much as the rest of the folks i that region. The only reason they have been freindly so far is because they want our air support. Screw 'em, take the trash and eliminate both. jmho. mike
View Quote
I just didn't want you to feel left out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:48:55 PM EDT
I think they will turn out to be total A-holes, and the whole world will blame us for putting them in power. It's a one step forwrd two steps back in the whole "hearts and minds" war. Bush's people keep saying we are not at war with Islam, but it looks like it will be almost impossible not to end up that way.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 3:56:17 PM EDT
I shake your hand! I change color of my turban! I'm no longer Taliban .....I'm Northern Alliance! DaMan
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:19:44 PM EDT
It really doesn't matter what they do. We don't give a rat's ass about Afghanistan, if you want to know the truth. We want Al Quaida and the Taliban wouldn't hand them over, so they are serving as an object lesson to other nations. After Al Quaida is gone and the Taliban is wiped out, I am quite certain we will pull out and let the UN put "peacekeepers" in there if they feel like it. I know I don't give a damn who runs the country as long as we get the assholes that killed our people.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:24:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:52:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2001 9:49:34 AM EDT by DaMan]
Originally Posted By RikWriter: It really doesn't matter what they do. We don't give a rat's ass about Afghanistan, if you want to know the truth. We want Al Quaida and the Taliban wouldn't hand them over, so they are serving as an object lesson to other nations. After Al Quaida is gone and the Taliban is wiped out, I am quite certain we will pull out and let the UN put "peacekeepers" in there if they feel like it. I know I don't give a damn who runs the country as long as we get the assholes that killed our people.
View Quote
I've seen pictures of Taliban commanders hugging and kissing (maybe more intimate stuff off camera) Northern Alliance commanders and swearing eternal loyalty! Reminds me so much of Dostum (former Communist militia commander....now in the Northern Alliance), turning against his Soviet buds! And the UN will supply "peacekeepers"? Wonder how many of these "peacekeepers/meals on wheels" folks will be provided by the US? And how much are we (the US) to pay each year to keep everybody in the area happy? DaMan
Top Top