Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/17/2001 8:30:55 AM EDT
I'm looking to leave the Bay Area, but haven't settled on a destination yet. Here are the criteria that I'm considering: - Scenic mountain area - Very gun/hunting friendly - As little gov't burden as possible - Reasonable property ownership cost - Enough high-tech commerce that I could find a computer-related job Having done a bit of research, the areas currently on my list are: - Salt Lake City, UT - Boise, ID - Portland, OR Given my criteria, I'm looking for suggestions. Are there other choices that I've missed? -kill-9
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:47:47 PM EDT
Montana and Idaho would be my first choices if I was moving out west-Utah would be a distant third. Cheap land, loose gun laws, and good trout streams.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 4:01:58 PM EDT
I just moved from Portland, don't reccomend it at this time. The economy there is dying a slow death, rather quickly. Yeah, they have scenic mountains, but you can't use them, you might disturb an owl, or something. Hunting is a very big business there, so that's a plus. Gov't burden is there, the police arrested a guy for shooting back at a robber, because he discharged a firearm within the city limits. High-tech is there, but layoffs abound. Be careful, there are a lot of people out of jobs up there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:22:28 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies. LongIsland, why place Utah down on the list? The culture is a bit weird, but is there something else you're considering? -kill-9
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:27:00 AM EDT
I would have to agree with LongIsland, Utah would be one of my last western states to live in. Way too much church control over the entire state. Unless you're a mormon, you don't have much say about what's going on. I'd pick Idaho or Montana, if you were looking for hunting opportunity, although I don't know if they have much hi-tech up there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:33:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kill-9: Thanks for the replies. LongIsland, why place Utah down on the list? The culture is a bit weird, but is there something else you're considering? -kill-9
View Quote
Utah is further down the list because Idaho has better (and more) trout streams. Nothing wrong with Utah, but I would rather live in Idaho.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:40:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LongIslandShooter:
Originally Posted By kill-9: Thanks for the replies. LongIsland, why place Utah down on the list? The culture is a bit weird, but is there something else you're considering? -kill-9
View Quote
Utah is further down the list because Idaho has better (and more) trout streams. Nothing wrong with Utah, but I would rather live in Idaho.
View Quote
Utah has some strange politics. Our politicos are just about as gutless as they come, and TAXES, they've never seen a tax they didn't love all the while proclaiming conservatism and self reliance. The land is beautiful and the fishing and hunting superb.
Top Top