Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2001 11:58:25 AM EDT
i'm expecting my C&R ffl any day now, and i spend my evenings flipping thru SGN with a highliter, marking the Curios and Relics and drooling. what should i get first?

on second thought, maybe that IS a religious question?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot BIGGER BANK ACCOUNT your gonna need it
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
i'm expecting my C&R ffl any day now, and i spend my evenings flipping thru SGN with a highliter, marking the Curios and Relics and drooling. what should i get first?

on second thought, maybe that IS a religious question?
View Quote

Well, you could get a religous curio / relic, like an old church pew or something.  [:D]

Seriously, my first choice would ALWAYS be an M1. Does that qualify as C&R???

Give us your choices. Then we'll tell you what to get, and you MUST obey us.  [:D]

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say M1 Garand too, except there arent any. At least no REAL ones. Best deal for a M1 Garand is the CMP. The genuine M1 Garands left in SGN are all at "collector" prices.

I always gor for the WW2 vintage first personally. See if you can still hound up a REAL GERMAN K98 Mauser. They were good deals last year. This year there seems to be some collectible P38s on the market. Just make sure you are getting a WW2 production one and not a postwar P1.

Most C&Rs try and get the issue rifle from every principle country involved in WW2 to for a collection of mostly bolt actions.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]
already have the garand. so far the collection has been us military long arms(got 4, need '03, trapdoor, m14/m1a).
a good intersecting line would be ww2 longarms(mauser,nagant,carcano,smle,arisaka), or german auto pistols (c96,p08,p38) maybe? 1911 clones?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted: I'd say M1 Garand too, except there arent any. At least no REAL ones. Best deal for a M1 Garand is the CMP. The genuine M1 Garands left in SGN are all at "collector" prices.

I always gor for the WW2 vintage first personally. See if you can still hound up a REAL GERMAN K98 Mauser. They were good deals last year. This year there seems to be some collectible P38s on the market. Just make sure you are getting a WW2 production one and not a postwar P1.

Most C&Rs try and get the issue rifle from every principle country involved in WW2 to for a collection of mostly bolt actions.
View Quote

Ok, how do I tell if it's a REAL GERMAN K98 Mauser?  Dad brought two home... I think ...

The one I got has BNZ stamped on it, and 44 below it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Lurker -

I'd go for the full complement of US martial arms  - M1, M1 Carbine, 1911, 03 Springfield, trapdoor, etc.

Then go after some Brit enfields. Lots of variants.

then the Mausers.

Jap jobs would be last.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My Mosin-Nagant 91/30 should be here today!  I think my next C&R will be the French Mas 49/56 with all the accessories.  I know, it's French, but such a good deal for "like new"!  And, its a semi-auto assult rifle!  All though, I don't think I will be wasting 7.5X54 rounds quite like 5.56 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok, how do I tell if it's a REAL GERMAN K98 Mauser?  Dad brought two home... I think ...

The one I got has BNZ stamped on it, and 44 below it.
View Quote

BNZ is Chech, made for the Germans. The 44 would be the date of production.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then go after some Brit enfields. Lots of variants.

View Quote

Second the Enfields suggestion. A No.4 is a sweet bolt gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top