Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2001 3:34:59 AM EDT
A definition was posted here on the GD board. Several members would like to see it again, but did not know who posted it.

Please either bring it to the top, or re-post it.

Thanks,
Lew
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Tippie,

Don't know if I can give you an exact definition, but there are two kinds of political anarchism--left & right.  The lefties are typical of the left politically--they want to destroy our government and replace it with a Marxist one.  These are the guys you may have seen at the WTO protests causing so much destruction and duking it out with the riot police, etc.  They're really hooligans, is what they are.  Misguided, idealistic youths who think that they can achieve social justice by doing what Stalin did.  Not too bright.

More interesting are the "right" anarchists.  These are the more thoughtful (and peaceful) ultra-libertarian types who mostly just want smaller government or to find solutions that don't require government at all--such as contracts and voluntary associations.  There's a group called the Voluntaryists for one.  

The problem with the world "anarchist" is that it has been stolen and redefined to mean the same thing as "agitator".  Most people envision a chaotic, surreal world in which everyone is fighting just to stay alive.  But there's no reason why anarchy can't be peaceful, since all it really means is "absence of official government."

Take it for what it's worth.  I've met some very intersting people who call themselves anarchists and I even agree with the ideals of some of them.  I think we rely way to heavily on bureaucratic solutions and the welfare state.  I'd like to see a return to individual responsibility.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#2]
yo trickshot...that was a very well spoken reply
As an anarchist (not an antichrist!) I fit into at least one of your definitions...thanks...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top