Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2008 7:11:26 PM EDT
So I know that DRMO generally collects and disposes of used items from the base.  Well, how would I go about getting something from them for personal use, i.e. an upper or other parts.  Is this possible, and if so, how would it work?
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, they sell stuff in lots. Big lots. You can't just buy one item, generally - you have to buy a ton or a pallet of X, and come prepared to haul it away.

-Mark
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Usually they will advertise days when any military or GS can go buy stuff.  I got a gun case for 7 M16's for 20 bucks!  It has a wheel broken, but I can fix that...and now I need 6 more AR's to fill it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck on finding uppers--if they sold them, they'd be so shot out as to be nothing but paperweights.  Usually you'll get a pallet of used BDU tops, or a lot of 10 nasty filing cabinets that have exceeded their useful service life by 20 years.  

Remember, DRMO's job is to get rid of stuff that NO ONE in the US military or federal government finds useful anymore.

Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Good luck on finding uppers--if they sold them, they'd be so shot out as to be nothing but paperweights.  Usually you'll get a pallet of used BDU tops, or a lot of 10 nasty filing cabinets that have exceeded their useful service life by 20 years.  

Remember, DRMO's job is to get rid of stuff that NO ONE in the US military or federal government finds useful anymore.

My gun case is nice...it has a pressure relief valve and all.  I also bought a golf cart from them for 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That being said, I bid on, and won several years ago (ten??????)a pallet of Various sized Jungle boots (Brand New) several BDU uniform cases, and an electronics parts kit/Test case.  All for $100.00, was my bid.  I took what I wanted, and sold the rest to friends and on EBAY, and made over $450.00 profit.  So it is not ALL bad worn-out stuff.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IIRC, they sell stuff in lots. Big lots. You can't just buy one item, generally - you have to buy a ton or a pallet of X, and come prepared to haul it away.

-Mark

Yup, as nice as it would be to buy one field jacket or one tent, you have to get a pallet of them instead.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Some stuff is.

I worked at a HQ command once, and everytime we had a new O6+ move into an office, he would remodel it and throw out the old stuff. Usually consisting of some nice oak desks and leather chairs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That being said, I bid on, and won several years ago (ten??????)a pallet of Various sized Jungle boots (Brand New) several BDU uniform cases, and an electronics parts kit/Test case.  All for $100.00, was my bid.  I took what I wanted, and sold the rest to friends and on EBAY, and made over $450.00 profit.  So it is not ALL bad worn-out stuff.

Oh, I agree there's sometimes great deals, but you've got to sort through a lot of chaff to get to the wheat.  I spent four years at one base doing the every Thursday check of DRMO--end result was a semi-decent filing cabinet which I still use, and split a lot of 10 multi-fuel lanterns with some friends.  Didn't think it was worth the effort.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So I know that DRMO generally collects and disposes of used items from the base.  Well, how would I go about getting something from them for personal use, i.e. an upper or other parts.  Is this possible, and if so, how would it work?

Ahh Jail, run, Bad Idea Bad Idea
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe it's different with each branch...But in the USAF and at WPAFB, Tyndall AFB and Elmendorf AFB, they always had a open sale to the public (people authorized on base) at least once per year.  During that sale, you could buy any individual items you wanted, no need to buy case loads.  They would sell everything from laptops to four wheelers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i don't mean to take gov't property for personal use, i meant to purchase it from DRMO as its final disposition as gov't property-- after which it becomes MY property.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i don't mean to take gov't property for personal use, i meant to purchase it from DRMO as its final disposition as gov't property-- after which it becomes MY property.  

my bad
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Or to get rid of stuff that made the 'Oh fuck it, turn it in' list... Perfectly good but 'unwanted'....
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Be aware, weapons and certain other things must be demil'd. Often by crushing or cutting. Like Humvees. DOT says the .mil version is not safe. So to DRMO it, the truck is crushed, then sold.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or to get rid of stuff that made the 'Oh fuck it, turn it in' list... Perfectly good but 'unwanted'....

don't forget the "damnit, i guess we bought too many" list.  Find of a lifetime would be a box of overflow M68s or ACOGs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I've never seen firearms parts at a DRMO.  The last time I went to the Bragg one, I tried getting some nice medic bags, but there were 3 other units in line ahead of me on the auction.

I did score a bunch of beat to heck poncho liners from them in the early 90s for about $2 each.  For some reason they became new after a trip to CIF for a DX.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top