Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2001 12:28:28 PM EDT
It is 2005: the SHTF in the USA. Al Gore is in the Whitehouse and has suspended the Constitution and instituted a Dictatorship.

The People are rebelling, Militia ranks have grown in power and size and managed to take over and control the Rocky Mountain States.
In order to standardize weaponry, the unified Militia Command summoned you.

Your Job is the pick the Best Semi-Auto Battle Rifle to be used by Militia Groups for resistance against Gores Goon Squads.

Good Luck!

Vote Here: [url]http://pub32.ezboard.com/ftexasmilitiaorgforumsfrm3.showMessage?topicID=12.topic [/url]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If Al brings back Janet Reno, any resistance will be futile [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
printing press. internet.

oh, wait, you said rifle. whatever best suits the situation.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]
AR-15 with a 20" 1:9 twist chrome lined barrel.  The M-16/AR-15 rifles have been a part of the American Military and civilian marksmanship that spare parts and ammunition would be easily collected from the enemy and other sources.

A good 9mm pistol wouldn't be a bad idea either.

However, I highly doubt your scenario would happen even in my wildest nightmares.  Then again, I never thought I'd see terrorists flying planes into the WTC. [:(]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything by Century Arms International. Cause that's what MOST of these guys already own anyway.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anything by Century Arms International. Cause that's what MOST of these guys already own anyway.
View Quote

Thats Great! I got a good laugh! Thanks Steyr Aug!

I made 2 polls: one for 30 cal Battle Rifles the other for .22 cal Assault Rifles.

Included in the Assault Rifle Poll are: AR15, Valmet 76, Sig 550, Robinson Arms M96 Expeditionary Rifle, and (the very sexy) Heckler Koch G36

Caliber limited to 5.56 NATO for this poll.

Wildly Improbable Nightmare..yes. But so was the 9/11 attack on the WTC.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#6]
SteyrAUG, Did you ever hear about the Dyslexic Agnostic when he had Insommnia?  He actually sat up all night wondering if there was a Dog!
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]
HK91 -- because it is the only battle rifle with which I am familiar that you can put a thousands rounds through it and it will still shoot to the same point of aim and will not create heat waves above the barrel which obscures the target.  (Some of the others may be as good, such as the FN-FAL, but I am not personally familiar with them.)

(I had one once, and made the mistake of my life when I sold it.  Since then I buy guns, I don't sell guns.)
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

(snip)

Some of you people really crack me up!
View Quote

Sometimes that is the objective.  Lighten up.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#10]
In a SHTF, rally the militia and hide the children situation, whatever you can bring to the rally point that you know how to use. Of course the militia would be picking up weapons dropped in combat when they can. Myself I don’t think the goon squad would be that big compared to the militia and the military break away groups.

I’ll bring the 9mm, AR15, and the bolt action .308. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep hearing of this term "battle rifle"...as if the 5.56 in the A2 isn't able to reach out past 350 meters.

Of course the standard comment is "well, 5.56 might reach out past that but it won't do anything"....

Well, putting M855 up against M80 ammo at 550 meters, one will find out M80 is LESS effective against open troops and light body armor than M855.  

Then it degrades into wound trauma and how a .308" diameter hole is more effective than a .224" hole and how a 147 grain projectile is more lethal than a 62 grain slug...

Survivability on the battlefield means hitting your enemy before he hits you.  If I am trying to reach out 500 meters  and can recover faster from each round than my enemy can, I will get him first.  Even a lowly .224" hole in a non-lethal area will severly limit the enemies ability to do the same to me.

In close range combat, the AR might make an acceptable assault rifle but its not anywhere close to a Thompson.  It is the premier battle rifle, capable of point target engagement to 550 meters right off the shelf.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top