Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
6/21/2017 8:25:40 PM
Posted: 3/5/2001 1:17:03 PM EDT
Ok so I got this new Colt AR and it came with a rod in 4 pieces, and a couple brushes. Do you guys keep this stuff in the buttstock and is there a pouch or something avail. to keep it from being loose and rattling around in the compartment? Also one of the brushes looks like a normal bore brush but the other one, part of it is normal then some fatter bristles on the end closest to the rod. What is this a chamber brush? What other tools do I need for maintenance and cleaning of this rifle? I've seen posts about barrel wrench among other things. What would I need that for? TIA
Link Posted: 3/5/2001 1:45:14 PM EDT
I keep mine in the buttstock compartment wrapped in an old piece of T shirt rag. The larger based brush is for the chamber and locking lugs. Get a bore snake for cleaning at home... just got mine and can't believe I was without one for so long. That should be all you need for routine maintenance, except a copy of the manual... download that from [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/tm9-1005-319-10.pdf[/url].
Link Posted: 3/5/2001 11:13:34 PM EDT
BTT anybody else??
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 12:04:25 AM EDT
RTFM [:)] good luck! Tate
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 2:02:03 AM EDT
For field cleaning, I use the Otis M16 buttstock kit. It has everythiong you need for when you're on a hunting trip or out camping for a few days and you don't want to carry a lot of extra stuff around. For bench work, I use Dewey and Boretech coated rods with Shooter's Choice solvent for the bore and chamber and Breakfree CLP for everything else. I use Parker-Hale style wrap-around jags because for me, they help keep the patch from getting stuck in the barrel. Does your 4-piece kit have a T-handle? If so, you can use it for the chamber brush. I avoid sectional rods for the barrel because they can scratch the bore. If you don't have a T-handle, buy a handgun rod and use it for the chamber brush. Don't overclean because it can cause more damage than good. I assume you know how to break-in the barrel. If not, find out how to do it here.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:31:13 AM EDT
I Second The Ottis Cleaner Works Great Wish I Had This In The Corps.
Link Posted: 3/6/2001 4:45:18 AM EDT
The multipiece rod is a danger to your gun. Sure, the US Army used to use it, but they have Uncle Sugar to buy a new barrel for them, do you? Current USGI issue is the Otis buttstock kit for the M16, and a belt mounted kit for the M4 carbine. Check'em out at [url]www.otisgun.com[/url] I use the Otis system exclusively for all my guns. It's a pull through cable system that cleans from the bore to the muzzle, won't harm the bore or crown, and cleans quicker since you can pull a tighter patch than you can push.
Top Top