Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 3:17:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
All cool but showing pictures of military hardware with locations can be considered an opsec issue.

You might want to delete the location and dates...also blurring the rollingstock numbers.

You can't be serious.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 3:19:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
M-1s being sent to depot for overhaul?

Probably. They looked quite "used."
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 3:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
See that often over here at Blount Island. I remember the first conflict over in Iraq, The personal never ended coming on to the Island. I wish I had a camera back then. Cool pics makes U feel proud to be a American.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 3:50:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Them tanks have been thru hell.  Wonder what the story on where their heading is.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 3:53:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
how long would the prison sentence be if you managed to steal one of those? i wanna know if its worth it or not.

ppffffttttt .........Not that long,
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Whats the current word on replacing the engines on them.

Last I heard they were considering using a modern turbo diesel in place of the turbine like the UAE just bought or something like that.

We're re-engining them with new AGT1500's.  There are some new controls, etc, but for the most part it's the same old engine.

It has it's advantages and it's disadvantages.  I doubt you could get a TurboDiesel of any size in there, those Turbines are pretty small.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wouldnt think any M1s 105mm were left...All should have been brought up to M1A1s atleast...Hell our Guard unit is getting M1A3s....

What is the M1A3? I've never heard of that version.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Those are M1IPs - 105mm, not M1A1. Look at the bore evacuators. Probably going back to be upgraded.

I couldn't believe my eyes

I didn't think we had so many left!
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Group buy?

I'm in
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#10]

What's the deal with that loco? Why the camouflage?

From 2/27 to 11/11/91 UP 3593 (nee-UP 8084, b/d 8/79, b/n 786218-20) wore this "Desert Victory" camo paint scheme in honor of the 66 UP employees who participated in Operation Desert Storm
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:32:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
All cool but showing pictures of military hardware with locations can be considered an opsec issue.

You might want to delete the location and dates...also blurring the rollingstock numbers.

Uh, I think that if there were any opsec issues they wouldn't be transporting them in broad daylight.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how long would the prison sentence be if you managed to steal one of those? i wanna know if its worth it or not.

I work with a former tanker.  He told me that when he was stationed in Germany,  they transported a bunch of tanks from one base to another via rail and had at least one stopover in a rail yard, overnight.

Come the morning,  one M1A1 Abrams tank was missing.  

Local rules said "NO MILITARY GUARDS ALLOWED IN THE RAILYARD" and apparently,
the Russians were brazen enough to steal a tank right out of the yard!

Did my coworker lie?  I've never known him to.   And I guess that the Russians WOULD
go to some effort to score an Abrams for study,  at least back in the 80s when this
allegedly happened.

CJ

How would they have unloaded it from the railcar?

How could they have transported it without being noticed?
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:46:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I say this all the time, but I always find it amazing that the first coupler is strong enough to pull everything behind it.

I work with them every day and at times I am still amazed at what they can witchstand.

But they do have their limits.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Today?

Those are some pretty old tanks. I had heard rumours that a New England area National Guard unit still had IPs, but I'm surprised they're still around.

NTM

My local Guard unit had them up until 3 or so years ago.  They only got rid of them when the unit changed from an Armored unit to an Avation support unit.

We all miss seeing them at the nearby County Fair.

-K
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:55:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldnt think any M1s 105mm were left...All should have been brought up to M1A1s atleast...Hell our Guard unit is getting M1A3s....

It's been proposed but not AFAIK, adopted yet.  I would be very surprised that any Guard unit would be getting even A2s right now when there are so many A1's in the Regular Army.

-K
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably multiple felonies with 10yrs each...

IF you survive...

After all, they're pretty hard to disable... So they might just have the military destroy it with you inside (Javelin, for instance)

Ummmm... Not so much... Javalin < Abrams tank, contrary to the "can destroy any tank on earth" hype.

Have a look at the public source AAR of an M1 Abrams that had a mobility kill (loss, not kill, technically, just an engine that crapped out not from hostile fire) back in the invasion of '03... It was in a small city, and the collum wasn't stopping... So rather than leave a tank in a potentially hostile-ridden city where it could be captured, they decided to just blow it to hell.

Didn't work so well.

First they had the unit engineers try some demo charges... All of their demo charges on hand... The tank was still operable with the exception of the already disabled engline.

So failing that, they said "fuck this" and fired a few rounds into it from the other Abrams tanks in that platoon... No significant effect from HEAT, minimal damage from Sabot.

Next they called in a zoomie with fucking Mavericks. Knocked some holes in it but the tank was still mostly functional.

I forget what it was they did that finally destroyed the thing... I think they dropped a 2K Paveway on it. Even then it suprisingly still looked like a tank, even if it was completely non-functional.

After reading that and looking at the photos, I gained a new respect for the Abrams (which I previously had some doubts over)... If a Maverick doesn't significantly fuck it up, I'm not going to put faith in a Javalin to do much better. It may have a better attack profile, but it has a much smaller warhead.

I'm not sure.  I'm thinking that a Javelin would be able to kill an Abrams relatively easily as compared to other AT weapons.  The Javelin uses two modes of attack - straight on level attack if the targets under a bridge or tree or something, and a top attack which is the preferred method.  

I would be confident in the Abrams being to take a Javelin hit in the front, but less so on the sides and rear.  However, the M1 has very thin top armor - something like 2 inches from what I have read.  Any top attack weapon - The Tow2B IIRC, Javelin, Copperhead, BILL(?), or others would have a much easier time killing an Abrams from the top.  Other modern tanks like the Leo2A6 and Chally2 have much thicker top armor and would take a hit much better.  I'm wondering if even top attack bomblets from artillery or aircraft would be able to kill an Abrams due to the thin armor.  

-K
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IF you survive...

After all, they're pretty hard to disable... So they might just have the military destroy it with you inside (Javelin, for instance)

Ummmm... Not so much... Javalin < Abrams tank, contrary to the "can destroy any tank on earth" hype.

Have a look at the public source AAR of an M1 Abrams that had a mobility kill (loss, not kill, technically, just an engine that crapped out not from hostile fire) back in the invasion of '03... It was in a small city, and the collum wasn't stopping... So rather than leave a tank in a potentially hostile-ridden city where it could be captured, they decided to just blow it to hell.

Didn't work so well.

First they had the unit engineers try some demo charges... All of their demo charges on hand... The tank was still operable with the exception of the already disabled engline.

So failing that, they said "fuck this" and fired a few rounds into it from the other Abrams tanks in that platoon... No significant effect from HEAT, minimal damage from Sabot.

Next they called in a zoomie with fucking Mavericks. Knocked some holes in it but the tank was still mostly functional.

I forget what it was they did that finally destroyed the thing... I think they dropped a 2K Paveway on it. Even then it suprisingly still looked like a tank, even if it was completely non-functional.

After reading that and looking at the photos, I gained a new respect for the Abrams (which I previously had some doubts over)... If a Maverick doesn't significantly fuck it up, I'm not going to put faith in a Javalin to do much better. It may have a better attack profile, but it has a much smaller warhead.

I'm not sure.  I'm thinking that a Javelin would be able to kill an Abrams relatively easily as compared to other AT weapons.  The Javelin uses two modes of attack - straight on level attack if the targets under a bridge or tree or something, and a top attack which is the preferred method.  

I would be confident in the Abrams being to take a Javelin hit in the front, but less so on the sides and rear.  However, the M1 has very thin top armor - something like 2 inches from what I have read.  Any top attack weapon - The Tow2B IIRC, Javelin, Copperhead, BILL(?), or others would have a much easier time killing an Abrams from the top.  Other modern tanks like the Leo2A6 and Chally2 have much thicker top armor and would take a hit much better.  I'm wondering if even top attack bomblets from artillery or aircraft would be able to kill an Abrams due to the thin armor.  

-K

A Javelin would have no trouble taking out an M1, especially in top attack mode.

And that M1 in Iraq mentioned above was gutted by that Maverick hit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#18]
M1's going to RESET
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IF you survive...

didnt a guy in California try that not to long ago..  

po-po poped the hatch and emptied a mag  after he got stuck on the center divider ..if I recall correctly.

www.truveo.com/Stolen-M60-Patton/id/2331121023
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's 20 of 'em on the UP line in Chester, Illinois, between the Mississippi River and Menard Correctional Center. This was about two weeks ago.

Link Posted: 4/3/2008 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It's been proposed but not AFAIK, adopted yet.  I would be very surprised that any Guard unit would be getting even A2s right now when there are so many A1's in the Regular Army.

-K

They've been talking about M1A2 SEPs in our neck of the woods (MN NG) but we probably won't see them for a few years...
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That is a metric shit ton of armor jihadi and T55/T62/T72/T80/T90 tank crew  nightmares.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IF you survive...

po-po poped the hatch and emptied a mag  after he got stuck on the center divider ..if I recall correctly.

That was an M60 back in the 90's.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

No, you're getting M1A1 AIMS, if they haven't already been delivered. Yakima's showed up a few months ago, as did 185's. No reason to think 161 will be any different.
You sure you're not thinking of M2A3s? That's possible (but unlikely)

They've been talking about M1A2 SEPs in our neck of the woods (MN NG) but we probably won't see them for a few years...

The same rumours have been flying around CalGuard for a while, but I don't see it happening. Heck, TexGuard was talking about it years ago on the basis that they didn't think the overall cost difference was so huge over the expected service life that they couldn't afford it.

Now, on the plus side, the Army have just announced they're adding another 400+ M1A2 SEP(V2)s, which, considering how big the in service force is, is quite a sizeable chunk, and could relieve some older A2s to filter down to the Guard. (Esp if the A3 upgrades get going). On the downside, if the proposed new cavalry structure gets approved by Congress, that's a hell of a lot of tanks suddenly going back into the force.

NTM
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K
We currently have the M1A2 AIMS tanks, supposedly while we are in Iraq, they will be upgraded to the "A3" version....the difference, I have no idea Im not a DAT...
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, you're getting M1A1 AIMS, if they haven't already been delivered. Yakima's showed up a few months ago, as did 185's. No reason to think 161 will be any different.

The same rumours have been flying around CalGuard for a while, but I don't see it happening. Heck, TexGuard was talking about it years ago on the basis that they didn't think the overall cost difference was so huge over the expected service life that they couldn't afford it.

Now, on the plus side, the Army have just announced they're adding another 400+ M1A2 SEP(V2)s, which, considering how big the in service force is, is quite a sizeable chunk, and could relieve some older A2s to filter down to the Guard. (Esp if the A3 upgrades get going). On the downside, if the proposed new cavalry structure gets approved by Congress, that's a hell of a lot of tanks suddenly going back into the force.

NTM
The M2A3s is indeed correct....As stated above thats just what I heard on the Tanks....supposedly we recieved the M1A2 AIMS, and they are getting an additional upgrade...whether that makes them an A3 I have no idea...rumors are high at this point....
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

There's a bunch of tanks at Ft. Knox.

Shhhhh, don't tell anybody.

Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok...Ok...

You all knew this was coming,

So here it is,

the man himself.

Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IF you survive...

Didn't work so well.

-K

A Javelin would have no trouble taking out an M1, especially in top attack mode.

Possibly, I wouldn't know the details of the top armor, but it appears that front and side attacks are suprisingly difficult.

And that M1 in Iraq mentioned above was gutted by that Maverick hit.

It was penetrated and there was heat and shock damage, but I seem to remember something about them checking it to assess damage and finding that pretty much all the internal systems still worked (hence why they kept hitting it with stuff)... Crew would have been dead were it hostile fire, but in WWII we generally learned that tanks can often outlive their crews.

Of course it's been several years since I read that report, so I might not be remembering it correctly.

Interesting to consider, however, just how much damage Mavericks did to the T-55s/T-72s we used them on... Generally they were horrid looking hulks. One thing I do remember is after the missile hits, the Abrams in question still looked practically intact externally. Contrast that with:

T-72 120mm Sabot kill:

AGM-65 T-55 kill, if I'm not mistaken:

The Abrams was hit with both of those, if I recall.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IF you survive...

That was an M60 back in the 90's.
Yes,the M60 was from the 185th(HQ,I think)near Kearney Mesa Blvd,guess by that time,they got rid of the -48A5s.

I took a nap on an M1 sitting on a flatcar,felt it was as good a place as any to take a snooze(humpin'155 ammo all day will do that),Ft Knox,1988.

Best place to catch ZZZZZs? Up a tree,no one ever looks up there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

Would you mind elaborating on this?  This is the first I've heard of it and I'm quite interested to know more.  I'm not sure if I would see more tanks as being a 'Downside' though.

Also, why does Congress have to approve this?  They would be some of the last people who would be capable of making that kind of decision with any kind of intelligence.

-K
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

Would you mind elaborating on this?  This is the first I've heard of it and I'm quite interested to know more.  I'm not sure if I would see more tanks as being a 'Downside' though.

Also, why does Congress have to approve this?  They would be some of the last people who would be capable of making that kind of decision with any kind of intelligence.

-K

More tanks would need to be balanced by more Infantry... Assuming we want to actually occupy any place we invade in the future.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#33]
They took the one we had on static display outside our armory for overhaul!  Hell, the green one on that train might be it.

Those are old tanks guys, off to be overhauled or cut up for scrap...
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
They took the one we had on static display outside our armory for overhaul!  Hell, the green one on that train might be it.

Those are old tanks guys, off to be overhauled or cut up for scrap...
Or turned into an artificial reef,as they did with alot of Sheridans/-48s.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Group buy?

lol
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 3:29:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The M2A3s is indeed correct....As stated above thats just what I heard on the Tanks....supposedly we recieved the M1A2 AIMS, and they are getting an additional upgrade...whether that makes them an A3 I have no idea...rumors are high at this point....

AIMS is an upgrade to the M1A1, not the M1A2. It basically digitises the troubleshooting system to a central computer instead of having to troubleshoot broken parts manually. There are a few detail changes like adding puffers to the V-packs and adding new ballistic tables for new ammunition, and fitting for FBCB2, but otherwise it's the same M1A1 we've been using for years, down to the old sight.

There's a bunch of tanks at Ft. Knox.

He's right. One just went by my window ten minutes ago. (I'm in Knox).

Possibly, I wouldn't know the details of the top armor, but it appears that front and side attacks are suprisingly difficult.

You mean 'surprisingly easy'. The latest M1 upgrades emphasise adding extra armour to the sides of the hull particularly, and some parts of the turret. They're leaving the roof as it is, probably due to weight.

Would you mind elaborating on this? This is the first I've heard of it and I'm quite interested to know more. I'm not sure if I would see more tanks as being a 'Downside' though.

It's a downside if you're a guardsman and only getting the 'hand-me-down' vehicles the Regular Army doesn't need any more. More demand in Regular Army, fewer toys available for you!

Basically there is widespread agreement that the recon squadron configuration doesn't work. Platoons of HMMWVs with three people in them, and Bradleys carrying 5 are too big to sneak around, too weak to fight for information, and too lacking in dismounts to do anything more than provide close security for the vehicles.

A few months ago the Army decided to greatly increase the amount of dismounts, ditch the HMMWVs (In the heavy recon squadrons), and add a bunch of tanks. Basically go back to the old 1980s cav structure.

Also, why does Congress have to approve this? They would be some of the last people who would be capable of making that kind of decision with any kind of intelligence.

If you're going to be spending billions of dollars of taxpayer's money to provide all the new equipment, and increase the manpower levels of the Army by several thousands, Congress gets a say. The Army wants to do many things. Doesn't mean that Congress funds everything the Army wants.

NTM
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 3:54:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
SD70M #4055 leads C40-8 #9213 and SD70MT1 #4825 west of Fremont, NE today. Photos taken by me.  Enjoy!

www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_2038.JPG
www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_2048.JPG
www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_2044.JPG
www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_2033.JPG
www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_2056.JPG
www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_2036.JPG
www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_2057.JPG

Holy shit..... Fap fap fap fap fap fap fap. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

-T.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 5:20:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

-K

More tanks would need to be balanced by more Infantry... Assuming we want to actually occupy any place we invade in the future.

I guess it depends on what you want to use them for.  If it's cavalry they're probably used for screening, scouting, and raiding.  None of these are really infantry intensive like regular armor tasks.

-K
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Those are M1IPs - 105mm, not M1A1. Look at the bore evacuators. Probably going back to be upgraded.

You should see the yard full of them behind 3656th maintenance at Camp Shelby.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#40]
That's a whole trainload of ass whipping!
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#41]
As a ex-grunt that went Armor I was always amazed that everytime we "railheaded" we didnot drop the shit all over the ground!

Talk about stress !!  
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#42]
At the begining of this year i saw a train load of Abrams in the middle of nowhere between Snyder and Post.  I really wanted to stop and investigate however i was in a hurry to get back to Lubbock.  It was really wierd to just see that parked out there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Bullshit.

If the military cared about this issue the equipment would be covered and moved at night.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
At the begining of this year i saw a train load of Abrams in the middle of nowhere between Snyder and Post.  I really wanted to stop and investigate however i was in a hurry to get back to Lubbock.  It was really wierd to just see that parked out there.

That train would probably go down to Sweetwater, then Tecific.  There it would hop on the BNSF Lampassas Sub and head for Ft Hood.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you see all the rust?  Those have been sitting somewhere rotting for a long time, probably going to get cut up for scrap.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't be serious.

I was once told it was an OPSEC violation to say I was deployed to Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Reminds me of the rail cars full of M2 and M3 Bradleys we used to see at Red River Army Depot after Desert Storm. They would bring them in by the hundreds to be repaired after the war. I've never seen so many Armored Vehicles in one place in my life. They were all painted Desert Tan and looked rough as hell after being in the Desert for a year or more.

I picked up/delivered many a load to that depot. I would walk around the "yard" while being loaded/unloaded. Everything from boats to humvee ambulances to tanks in there. Many, just moved there from battle. I looked at a line of humvees, that stretched as far as the eye could see, that were shot to shit and blown to pieces. I sat in one that had obviously been in an IED and tried to imagine what the soldiers went thru.

The Humvee had the keys in it and I gave it a try of the key.......................it started right up!!! Now, imagine this, the front two wheels were blown off and the hood was gone. Significant damage to the under-carriage and sides. It started and ran until I shut it off. The damage this thing sustained and still run is a testament to American ingunueity(sp). very humbling(sp) experience.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top