Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2001 4:20:30 PM EDT
Anyone read this book? I've heard alot about it. Any good?
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent book if perhaps a little scary and maybe farfetched in spots. A must read for RKBA supporters.
I have a copy I would be willing to trade for a copy of "The Black Rifle"   any takers?
BP
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't start the book until you have plenty of time to read it.  You might not want to put it down.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean The Adventures Of Henry Bowman And Friends...?[IMG]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/aahmed/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Just remember, after you finish...you can't go to Washington and overthrow the government![IMG]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/aahmed/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Full of excellent and important information.  I didn't like the journal-entry style, but it's a must read for any gun owner.  It cleared up a lot of things for me, especially about the NFA and how we've come to live in the current regulatory climate.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome book.  Full of great lessons in history and information on what has preceded the level of control the government now has.  You will understand what everyone is talking about toward the end of the book regarding the major fiction aspect of it.  Absolutely the best book I have read.  As warned before, begin to read it when you have time, you will be hooked.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Outstanding read. If you have friend who "just don't get it" or doesnt understand the "gun culture" let them read the book. It just might stop an argument or two and open some eyes.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Very Very good. I was sad when I finished it and there was no more to read...
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome book. I have a signed copy. I got mine from John Ross at Knob creek Ky. He's usually there.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone read this book?
View Quote

And the 2001 Academy Award for the "Silliest Question" category goes to. . . . [:p]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]
AWESOME Book. Halfway through it I ran out and bought my first gun(a 10/22).
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I gave my 1st copy to a friend as a Retirement gift.  Keeping the 2nd copy.  Bidding on a 3rd copy as a Xmas present for my son.  Does anyone know if Ross has written anything else, or has another book coming out?

Don't forget Point of Impact, & the other Bob Lee Swagger books by Stephen Hunter.  Another interesting Author.

Mike
[+]:D]

Link Posted: 11/11/2001 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I spoke to John Ross about 3 weeks ago at a Pro-2nd Amendment Rally here in Denver.
He has been working, albeit slowly, on a sequel, but has had some health problems that have hampered his writing lately. He is recovering from a stroke, and has finally recovered most of the use of his right side again. He is a calm, brilliant spokesman for our rights, and it was a pleasure to meet him.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Someone is selling a copy of the book at Half.com with this remark " First Edition. Later editions changed storyline due to lawsuit".  They want $350. for the book.  Does anyone know if the storyline was actually changed, or is this just BS?  If it was changed, what was changed?

Mike
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Who's the author?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#16]
They list John Ross as the Author.
Here is the link : [url]http://www.half.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=815885[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Someone is selling a copy of the book at Half.com with this remark " First Edition. Later editions changed storyline due to lawsuit".  They want $350. for the book.  Does anyone know if the storyline was actually changed, or is this just BS?  If it was changed, what was changed?

Mike
View Quote

$350! I have a first print before the photo covers were even done, bought from and autographed by John Ross himself at the SOF convention! Woo hoo!!!!

IIRC the character named in the story that got visited by the incompetent ATF woman turned out to be the actual FFL who really experienced the incident. I guess he got pissed off when he found out that he was mentioned in the book and Ross had to change the character's identity in subsequent printings.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:11:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I have sold or gave away atleast 4 cases of this book, while listed as fiction the book contains an incredible amount of factual information concerning Miller vs USA, Ruby Ridge, FBI shoot out in Florida and other FAA facts of concern to flyers.

Excellent read.

Mike

PS: Mr. Ross has also written a very good synopsis of gun facts in Missouri for the purposes of trying to get CHL in his home state and also ran for congress several years ago.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#19]
How can you tell if you have a first edition or not? btw, here is the editorial review:

The dust jacket of this first novel nearly sums it up: a storm trooper-like American federal agent holds an automatic weapon to the throat of a semi-naked, buxom young woman as a giant copy of the Constitution burns in the background. What's missing is an illustration of a hero, but some readers might settle for the adjacent photo of author Ross, smiling and holding a rifle while the copy below the photo points out that ``he fires upwards of 20,000 rounds of ammunition a year.'' Ross's own hero, or at least protagonist, is Missouri weapons dealer and geologist Henry Bowman, a self-styled ``member of the gun culture,'' who fires on intruders at a friend's Indiana home, mistaking them for terrorists. When the men turn out to be federal agents carrying out a raid on suspected firearms violators, Henry learns that he himself is a target of federal assault. He responds by killing 10 agents, butchering them and feeding them to hogs. Henry is soon joined by others, including his A.A. friend Cindy Caswell, formerly the kidnapped sex-slave of a Las Vegas mafioso, who sets about killing congressmen while having sex with them. This action-packed, overlong fiction-as-manifesto is a hotbed of pulp melodrama, enhanced with photos of and reproductions of ads for guns. Ross works a wealth of anti-government, pro-gun polemic into the narrative, and eventually, the president capitulates entirely, granting amnesty to the rebels and calling for the repeal of all anti-gun laws. In a preface, Ross states that he hopes ``this book will reduce the likelihood of armed conflict in this country.'' It seems disingenuous. This whole story seethes with a grudge against a government that is portrayed as having persecuted praiseworthy citizens who merely want to exercise their civil rights. Like the notorious and paranoid The Turner Diaries, this novel may speak to readers on the fringes of American society but it misses the middle, both artistic and political, by a long shot. 10,000
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow!  He compared U.C. to that trash Turner Diaries?  Just out of curiousity, what dirtbag wrote this review?  

Personally, I've bought several copies so I could give them to folks or lend them out. 862 pages hardcover, and I could not put it down.

I would characterize U.C. as an absolute "must-read," but also as "a delightful fairy tale."  Reality will be MUCH bloodier.  And the way things are going, I don't know how much longer we'll be able to avoid it.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Very Very good. I was sad when I finished it and there was no more to read...
View Quote

I concur. I've read it several times. It is one of the few books you can read more than once and not get tired of.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:30:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Say when.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top