Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2001 2:31:00 PM EDT
I just spoke with a representative of the Second Amendment Foundation regarding the establishment of a formal NPO and legal defense fund to assist with situations like what just happened to oneshot1kill. It sounds like Brothers In Arms is already rolling but we need to affiliate ourselves with a major hitter like the SAF and have a more formalized approach. I was thinking more along the lines of a fund with elected officers and trustees so everyone would feel okay about donating and there would be a bonafide NPO status for taxes.

I have scheduled a telephone conference with their lead legal consultant (David LaCourse) for Monday. Should any AR15.com member want to participate and assist in getting this set up, please email me at [email protected]

I will return my contact info. I will be around some this weekend for conversations (Sunday). I will post a followup after my conversation on Monday. Meanwhile, if anyone has any ideas, etc... please post or email me.

We have to make this happen because any one of us could be the next target.

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 3:01:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Good Work BenDover.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool! I give you amends for taking action.

How can one help you with this other than just donating money?

Alex
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Had to reschedule the phone conversation with the SAF. I will inform as soon as...

In the meantime, I talked to my corporate counsel about setting up a non-profit. He agreed that it was a good idea and that it would carry around the same cost as setting up and organizing a regular corp.

The only difference is that a true non-profit has to be filed with the attorney general in each state where it intends to accept donations. This adds to the effort in setting it up, but is a mere formality. Once this is completed, the tax status can be established for a true, deductible charitable contribution.

He seems to think the total bill would come to $800-1000 for the whole thing depending on the individual filing fees with the individual state's atty general.

I don't know about all of you, but the idea of defending myself with tax-free money appeals to me in a big way.

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#6]
This is good work, but aren't we just knuckling under once again?  I mean, it's their court system, their judges.  Do you think OneShot will get off without having his rifle seized and be on probation?  Remember, the guy did nothing wrong, he was ostensibly turned in by some soccer mom snitch.  If gun owners need a legal defense fund, then the game is over--completely over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top