Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2001 8:28:39 AM EDT
I know a few here are in EMS, how many and what do you do.

Volunter at Rescue Squad (and soon County fire)
First responder
VR
Tehcnical Tech
Scuba Tech
Swiftwater Insturctor

R35
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
EMT
almost a Paramedic
Army Medic
PD SRT Medic
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Was an Assistant Chief / EMT of a combination paid/vol. fire department until I resigned a few weeks ago (long,long,long story).  Also worked part time for a Rescue squad.  Now I'm just a regular citizen and don't have anything to do with the emergency services.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]
[i]Don't answer this call, don't come on we only have 5 minutes left in our shift.......oh now you done it, we'll just get send out on a wounded drunk again[/i]

Paramedic, fulltime here. Working in the same town as I live. Been doing it since 2000, worked the emergency room for four years before that.

Here's to the best job in the world...

Kuiper
VZA&o-station Zaandam
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Started out as a Vollie FF for a couple of years and they put me thru EMT class.
I've been an EMT in EMS for 17yrs.
What a blast.
I was Asst. Director of a local ambulance squad for about 4yrs (resigned early due to work issues).
Always thought about PII classes but don't have the time to keep up my stats.

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Enrolled in the first NJ EMT/A course offered at the tender age of 16.  (had to get an age exemption approved by the governor in order to attend)

-------------------
Side Note: Anyone remember the 'ol "Five Pointers" that existed prior to the Emergency Medical Tech program in NJ?  Yikes -- What a joke !
--------------------

Was on the "youth squad" of a volunteer First Aid Squad in my lovely suburban township until I turned 18.  Then I became a "Regular" member.

Became Captain (highest operations rank -- the equivalent of a Chief) at age 22.

During this same period of time, I simultaneously worked inner-city EMS (as a volunteer) in a sleazy city located in Essex County, NJ while attending college.  
(nights only -- I was a budding "trauma junkie")  

AND..   I also drove (volunteer again..) a paramedic unit for the local hospital once a week when the medic program first started out here.

Moved and joined a new Volunteer Rescue Squad.
(note: Rescue is WAY more fun than patient care and transport -- and the toys are alot cooler too!) [:D]

Added additional certs along the way:
- Advanced Heavy Rescue
- Fire Rescue
- Technical Rescue
- CPR Instructor
- Confined Space Rescue

Then..  a few years ago, I severely herniated 3 discs in my back while cutting the door off of a car.
(I was paired up with a 90lb weakling of a girl who dropped her end of a hurst tool, leaving me bent over in agony still holding the "jaws" -- Gotta LOVE equal opportunity, huh?)

Several spine surgeries later, I am no longer riding on the squad and barely functioning as a human being. (still a life member though  -- free pancake breakfasts once a year -- or was that a fried fish dinner?? [;)])

It was tons of fun though -- all 17 years of it !

I loved helping people and it was an incredibly rewarding experience.

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Hehehe...   Ready for a good laugh??

My wife dug this out of my mess of paperwork the other day.

Here I am back in the 80's with long hair:
(front/left  wearing shorts -- heck , they paged us out at 5am for this one, I was lucky I was awake enough even to put some clothes on at all)
[:D]

[img]web-comm.com/ar15/ledger.gif[/img]

Pretty sad story .... a chopper crashed in the water right off the beach on the day before.  The accident killed most of the members of  family and a bunch of kids -- it was MESSY for sure.

(and that was in the days before HIV and universal precautions..  I came home covered with blood from head to toe)

The next morning was an easy job -- just scoop up the last victim off the beach after he washed in with the tide.

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Former Paramedic/FF. Joined the army as a medic. Assigned to USAMRID Ft Detrick MD.
View Quote

Ha !   Then can you be our resident expert on biowarfare?  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Professional firefighter/paramedic in sunny Florida, I work for one of the few fire departments in Florida that is the sole provider of fire/EMS over a large county (no city departments, or Volunteers in the county).
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Fire/Rescue Driver/Engineer here.

Too many certs to list all of them, but here are a few:  

Extrication Tech
High Angle/Rope Tech
HazMat Tech

You name it, we do it !

556mm
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Firefighter with Company 3 Pamplin Vol. Fire Department.

Used to be Asst. Chief until my baby was born, took a little time off to spend time with the family.

Also past training officer.

Currently serving as secretary.

Oh yeah, i almost forgot. served a few years as an EMT with the local RS a couple years back
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top