Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2001 6:10:09 PM EDT
Just checked the news on James Randi's site [url]http://www.randi.org/jr/110201.html[/url]  Here's something funny:  

I've just been informed that folks who use Microsoft Word 2000 have been politically corrected — willy-nilly — by the designers of that program. Now, if they look for a synonym for the noun "fool," they get "not found," as if there are no other words that express that word. The official explanation from the company? They tell us that:

Microsoft's approach regarding the spell checker dictionary and thesaurus is to not suggest words that may have offensive uses or provide offensive definitions for any words. The dictionary and spell checker is updated with each release of Office to ensure that the tools reflect current social and cultural environments.
Well, I use the WordPerfect word-processing program, which appears to have a firmer grasp on reality altogether. Looking up the word "fool," I was presented with these 26 other possibilities:

Ass, blockhead, booby, buffoon, chump, clown, cretin, dimwit, dolt, dope, dunce, dupe, idiot, ignoramus, imbecile, jackass, jerk, laughingstock, lunatic, maniac, moron, nincompoop, ninny, nut, oaf, and simpleton.
Mind you, "ass" and "jackass" show up redlined, which indicates that they are not really proper words to use, but at least they're there.....

Shades of "Brave New World"! Yes, Big Brother is with us, and his name is Gates. Bill, that is.
View Quote

LOL, using ms word will reduce your vocabulary to hurt others' feelings...

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Microsoft XP is the proof that Bill Gates IS Big Brother.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
This started about four years ago.  I don't remember the specific words involved, but someone looked up some negative word and got back what she thought was a racial slur as a suggested synonym.  She sued, of course, just like politically-correct wackos always do.

After that, Microsoft expurgated their dictionary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top