Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2001 3:26:47 PM EDT
I'm making chili and I need advice on the peppers.  I've always used "chili peppers" from a jar but the last couple of times it's had a "green" flavor to it.   I need a better idea for peppers now that it's finally cooling off enough to eat chili.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I use habanero(SP?) peppers.  They are the little mean bastards.  I throw about 75% of them in whole so I can pick em out later, dice the rest.  They add a nice fire mouth taste, but not that green or vinegar taste.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Hahaha...when I first read the title I thought it said, "Any CROOKS out there?".

Anyways, a lot of the guys around here starting using this stuff called Dave's Insanity sauce to spice up their chili. Its got a pretty good flavor as long as you don't try to eat it by itself. It only takes a few drops so use sparingly.

If you really like your food hot you can get the Ultimate Insanity Sauce. This stuff is so hot the bottle it's sold in comes cased in a little wooden coffin.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you looking for taste and heat or just heat? If you want taste too stay away from habaneros and insanity sauce too. By "green' flavor it would help to know what kind of chilis you used. Jalapenos have a bit of "greeness" but great flavor for chili. Some chilis are so hot (habaneros) that by the time you can actually taste the flavor of the chili its hot enough to melt glass.

Try this, use a few different of the dried varieties (ancho, chipotle, etc.) for flavor then just use habanero sparingly to get the heat up to where you want it. The key to chili is complexity of flavor, not heat.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Ditto on the habaneros.  You can adjust the hotness, by simply letting them stew in the pot, dice 'em up or simpley crushing them in the stew.  Hope you have an asbestos mouth [;)]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you looking for taste and heat or just heat? If you want taste too stay away from habaneros and insanity sauce too. By "green' flavor it would help to know what kind of chilis you used. Jalapenos have a bit of "greeness" but great flavor for chili. Some chilis are so hot (habaneros) that by the time you can actually taste the flavor of the chili its hot enough to melt glass.

Try this, use a few different of the dried varieties (ancho, chipotle, etc.) for flavor then just use habanero sparingly to get the heat up to where you want it. The key to chili is complexity of flavor, not heat.
View Quote

Taste and heat is what I'm looking for.  I was using Vlasic "Chili Peppers" in a jar with "juice" in it.  I don't know how to describe that any better.  I don't know how to describe the "green" taste either really I just know I won't use those again.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
A PS on the Hanaberos'........  Sumo Dude was right about them being way hot before you taste the flavor.  YOU MUST let that Chili sit for a while.  If you are using a crock pot.  Give it a loooonng time real low to get the flavor in.  I know this is going to sound like sacrelidge, but I get the best flavor once chili has cooled down and then been reheated later...

Hey PonyBoy.  I thought he meany Cooks, Like kooks, crazy mo fos, Tin foil hat people!!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A PS on the Hanaberos'........  Sumo Dude was right about them being way hot before you taste the flavor.  YOU MUST let that Chili sit for a while.  If you are using a crock pot.  Give it a loooonng time real low to get the flavor in.  I know this is going to sound like sacrelidge, but I get the best flavor once chili has cooled down and then been reheated later...

Hey PonyBoy.  I thought he meany Cooks, Like kooks, crazy mo fos, Tin foil hat people!!!
View Quote

Oh yeah, chili is [b]much[/b] better the second day.

I had Hanaberos in a dish at "Carlos O'Kellys".  The menu said they had a nice smokey flavor.  They did but then the heat sets in and you can't get another beer fast enough!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I don't eat them(At least not on purpose)  Ocasionally you get a lurker in there and YIKES, they will light you up.

In my best Homer Simpson voice.

Crock Pot Chilli...Yum....
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#9]
One safety tip.  This one's from personal experience. If you're going to chop up fresh hot chiles by hand, wear rubber gloves and be careful about touching your eyes. If you wear contacts be even more careful about getting the stuff on your fingers. I once cut up a large bunch of fresh Jalepenos which aren't anywhere near as hot as habaneros, and didn't wear gloves. Big Mistake. My hands were on FIRE for about 12 hours afterwards and nothing I tried would make it stop, and I tried everything. My eyes burned every time I touched them for a week. The good news was, I won my squadron chile cooking contest for hottest and best overall.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Try some Scotch bonnet peppers.  They aren't the hottest, but they are quite tasty.  Mmmmm....
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I suggest yellow banana peppers. No flavor whatsoever, just a flaming roller coaster ride to hell. Make sure and accidentally rub your eyes and nose after handling them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top